Moving From Winxp To Linux As Server For A Small Office

Khun Jack

Some time ago I installed a file server for a small office a Belta P4 2.4 Ghz with 256 MB Ram two hard drives with software raid 1 and an external USB hard drive as backup drive.

WinXP was pre-installed and with an APC UPS and all is functioning ok.

The business is growing so the number of client computers is now close to 10 and winXP doesn’t support more than 10 simultaneously connections.

Windows small business server is an option but quite expensive with the additional client Cal’s but Linux is perhaps a better choice as Linux can serve as a file server, domain controller and APC has a Linux version for the UPS shutdown program.

It’s about 10 years ago that I used Linux so I have a few questions here;

Is the transfer of the company’s files with long filenames possible?

If the domain controller is unreachable can the users still logon with the own user profiles on their win XP/2000 pc’s?

Which version or distribution should I use?

never really use domain controlers or active directory.

Which distribution u use really doesnt matter. Its all about personal taste.

Ull need to Install samba server and set-up the shares/directories. samba uses the same protocol as windows file sharing.

It is a very simple setup if all u need is a file server.

> Is the transfer of the company’s files with long filenames possible?

Yes

never really use domain controlers or active directory.

Which distribution u use really doesnt matter. Its all about personal taste.

Ull need to Install samba server and set-up the shares/directories. samba uses the same protocol as windows file sharing.

It is a very simple setup if all u need is a file server.

> Is the transfer of the company’s files with long filenames possible?

Yes

Thanks, I have now Samba running with SWAT as config tools and its working fine as a windows share drive; next step is the domain controller setup.

But it tooks some frustrating to many hours to setup this with Ubuntu 7.04, I downloaded the Ubuntu I386 server and the desktop version and tried to install the server version first.

At exact 85% finishing of the software setup the program did not continue anymore, was stuck for hours but it was not a crash, after checking the CD iso, memory chips, cpu and changing the PC did not change anything every setup halted at 85%. :o

Finally hitting the keyboard with pressing random keys I got a terminal window, and the setup program was searching on internet probably for updates. :D

Yep I have local network with an ADSL modem as DHCP server but since TT&T decided to move the dslam more than 4 km away from my house or it grew some legs, the internet is dead, back to dial up!.

Removing the network cable did the trick, and problems again setting up Samba with Swat, the setup program did not install inetd nor xinetd, installed this and now is all running ok.