Mekong is at historical lows

geovalin

The Mekong is once again at historical lows. The Mekong River Commission (MRC) gauge at Phnom Penh Port shows river level to be four metres below average for this time of year – and lower than last year’s record.

This gauge is measuring river level on the Tonle Sap River just a few hundred metres upstream from the Tonle Sap’s confluence with the Mekong mainstream. This river level indicates the annual reversal of the Tonle Sap River and flooding around the Tonle Sap lake will happen much later than expected, tweeted Brian Eyler, a senior fellow and director of Stimson’s Southeast Asia programme.

He went on to say: “The causal factors are a lack of rainfall, the Mekong’s wet season has yet to kick in and the impacts of hundreds of upstream dams in Laos (100+), Cambodia (two), Thailand (nine+), Vietnam (16+), and China (100+). China’s major upstream dams at Nuozhadu and Xiaowan have already turned off their taps and are in the process of restricting around 20 billion cubic metres of water – at a time when the downstream needs that water.

Thousands of families in Cambodia rely on the Mekong for a variety of work. “Confirming earlier reports of the #Mekong again at record lows, today’s @MRCMekong data show river level at Phnom Penh Port (along the Tonle Sap River) to be at a historical low. 4m below average! At this level, the 2020 reversal of the Tonle Sap will be super-late,” said Eyler.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50748811/mekong-is-at-historical-lows/

• Sad 4

P15-middle-Asean-pix-Jan-30.jpg

I recall years back going to Laos for a visa run and the river was dry as a bone..kids were down there with bikes messing around..thought to myself to walk across and save the visa hassles next time   555

(runs to shop to buy stamp kit)   really took the charm of the old wooden shacks serving seafood+beer lao

They will kill the goose that laid the golden fish. China  negotiates with each country separately instead of a combined forum. It is not a full member of the Mekong River Commission. The Chinese use the water for generating important hydro-electricity so they regulate the flow to suit that rather than the requirements of downstream countries.  Dams in Lao are an extra problem. The decreasing Irrawaddy dolphins have nearly all moved onto Cambodia, there is only 1 pod left in Si Phan Don (4,000 islands). 

Edited by Isaan Alan
remove number of dams not fact checked by me
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Not that the Chinese have nothing to do with this  but, I think the blame would be better directed at the Lao Dams.  I am not near the Mae Sai house so ask that readers from Chiang Saen respond.  At this time of year and with the rain that Chiang Saen has been getting the upper MaeKong should be getting up to a worrying level.

10 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

I had no idea that Chairman Mao had met with the Three Stooges... 

Not many people do know this.  Though i think Mao would have suggested it is western citizens that are the stooges.

• Haha 1

On 7/27/2020 at 8:33 AM, geovalin said:

The Mekong is once again at historical lows. The Mekong River Commission (MRC) gauge at Phnom Penh Port shows river level to be four metres below average for this time of year – and lower than last year’s record.

Something else to thank the Chinese for who really needs friends like these .........!!!

• Like 1