Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

I feel this thread is taking a downward turn. The thread used to be about the marvels of the cbr 150. Now it is more like a thread on "what can I replace my cbr with". Of course there are bigger better bikes, and comparing a used ninja or a used CBR 400 to a new cbr 150 is apples and oranges. I think some of these topics should be covered in a seperate thread. This is just my opinion.

I just finished a 10 day 4500k tour on my cbr 150 and was tickled pink with it's performance. Good mileage, lots of power(for 150cc), dependable. My chain kept stretching so halfway through the trip I stopped at a local shop, new chain and back sprocket, 580 baht, done in twenty minutes. You wont get that service with an exotic bike. I toured north Thailand mostly on small roads. Some roads were just absolutely covered with football size potholes, I just stood on the pegs and gunned it and the cbr just hammered across. I am an Isaan flat land rider so I was a bit overwhelmed with the curves and inclines around Pai, but all was okay. I have to say I abused that bike, rode it hard and put it away wet, and it took it all just fine.

Next trip is a two month exploration of Laos and cambodia. I am considering modifying my cbr or getting another one to modify. Straight bars, enduro tires, possibly spoke wheels, bigger sprocket, removing all the plastic etc. I feel very confident with the cbr especially for parts and service that is why I would like to take one as opposed to say a KLX 250. I am not a "motorcycle guy" I am a bicycle guy, this is all new stuff to me. Does my idea seem okay or ......?

marcus

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I've stated before, I only had 3 issues with my CBR. Headlights - totally sucked a night. Tires - too hard/slick. Wind resistance/stability - over 110kph and it just didn't feel safe.

Other than that, I truly LOVED the bike and hated to part with it, but had to at the time for personal reasons. The 150 has proven its dependability and reliability countless times to the owners, and I don't know of any of them who actually don't like the bike.

Perhaps because of that we are, or may be, expecting too much of the new model, and making too big of an issue out of it. When I first heard the definitive news that there would be a new one, I was very happy, and looking forward to it. But after talking with my wife, we both agree to go check out the new 150, but wait and see what the 250 has to offer. While a new 150 will/would do everything I want, especially in regards to long trips, both my wife and I agree that a 250 might, and I stress the word "might", be better, but right now we're in a "wait & see" mode.

The bottom line is that each individual has to do what is right for them. Some want to keep their old model 150, some want to trade for the new one, and some, like me, are waiting for the 250 to see what it is like. But it still boils down to an individual choice.

Marco's board name is Marco, Dave :) Just got off the phone with him- he's about 80km NW of Nan and having a wonderful time since getting the front wheel on the BMW Land Yacht balanced in Chiang Mai (It was WAY off).

As for the popularity of the Ninja 250R, I see more and more of them on the road. They're quite common in and around Bangkok and Chiang Mai. Perhaps they haven't caught on out where you live (but I imagine there aren't many 250cc or bigger bikes out your way anyway, right?)

Cheers!

Tony

Nope, it's hard to find 'big' bikes around where I'm at; however even up in the twisties, where you'd expect to see something there was nothing except for CBR 150s....I'm just saying. Whether it's due to the name recognition, the affordability or whatever, there's apparently very few (and to reiterate what was said earlier, only when I've been on rides have I seen others and I do look!) Ninjas in country.

I feel this thread is taking a downward turn. The thread used to be about the marvels of the cbr 150. Now it is more like a thread on "what can I replace my cbr with". Of course there are bigger better bikes, and comparing a used ninja or a used CBR 400 to a new cbr 150 is apples and oranges. I think some of these topics should be covered in a seperate thread. This is just my opinion.

I just finished a 10 day 4500k tour on my cbr 150 and was tickled pink with it's performance. Good mileage, lots of power(for 150cc), dependable. My chain kept stretching so halfway through the trip I stopped at a local shop, new chain and back sprocket, 580 baht, done in twenty minutes. You wont get that service with an exotic bike. I toured north Thailand mostly on small roads. Some roads were just absolutely covered with football size potholes, I just stood on the pegs and gunned it and the cbr just hammered across. I am an Isaan flat land rider so I was a bit overwhelmed with the curves and inclines around Pai, but all was okay. I have to say I abused that bike, rode it hard and put it away wet, and it took it all just fine.

Next trip is a two month exploration of Laos and cambodia. I am considering modifying my cbr or getting another one to modify. Straight bars, enduro tires, possibly spoke wheels, bigger sprocket, removing all the plastic etc. I feel very confident with the cbr especially for parts and service that is why I would like to take one as opposed to say a KLX 250. I am not a "motorcycle guy" I am a bicycle guy, this is all new stuff to me. Does my idea seem okay or ......?

marcus

You do realise that until the apparent sucessor is released that there is no CBR 150 available and we've pretty much discussed everything there is about it.

As I've stated before, I only had 3 issues with my CBR. Headlights - totally sucked a night. Tires - too hard/slick. Wind resistance/stability - over 110kph and it just didn't feel safe.

Other than that, I truly LOVED the bike and hated to part with it, but had to at the time for personal reasons. The 150 has proven its dependability and reliability countless times to the owners, and I don't know of any of them who actually don't like the bike.

Perhaps because of that we are, or may be, expecting too much of the new model, and making too big of an issue out of it. When I first heard the definitive news that there would be a new one, I was very happy, and looking forward to it. But after talking with my wife, we both agree to go check out the new 150, but wait and see what the 250 has to offer. While a new 150 will/would do everything I want, especially in regards to long trips, both my wife and I agree that a 250 might, and I stress the word "might", be better, but right now we're in a "wait & see" mode.

The bottom line is that each individual has to do what is right for them. Some want to keep their old model 150, some want to trade for the new one, and some, like me, are waiting for the 250 to see what it is like. But it still boils down to an individual choice.

I'm going to hold onto my old CBette come hel_l or high water, regardless of what thaicbr states....

For me, the max top speed i can get is ~165kph going downhill... at normal times i can maybe reach 150kph.. but usually it's 140+kph with WOT

My biggest concern with the new CBRs, 150 & especially 250 is the vibrations.. i am for one a hard rider, especially on long distance trips.. on my 7-months old blue CBR150, I gotten some cracks and eventually broken fairing from the vibrations. I'm talking about the small top fairing above the rear lights..

has anybody else had this problem?

so, I am still waiting any personal reviews of both bikes before even thinking of converting...

don't get me wrong, I love my cbr.. but for bigger tyres and better stability, i would sacrifice a little top..

In an attempt to eat my own words I was at my Honda dealer this morning with deposit money in hand. They had the price for the cbr150 but knew nothing about the 250.

marcus

Strange......., as the official Thai Honda website features the 250, but says nothing about the 150, I was begining to think the 250 will be released before the 150??

Going in to the dealer this afternoon to check on progress and prices.

For me, the max top speed i can get is ~165kph going downhill... at normal times i can maybe reach 150kph.. but usually it's 140+kph with WOT

My biggest concern with the new CBRs, 150 & especially 250 is the vibrations.. i am for one a hard rider, especially on long distance trips.. on my 7-months old blue CBR150, I gotten some cracks and eventually broken fairing from the vibrations. I'm talking about the small top fairing above the rear lights..

has anybody else had this problem?

so, I am still waiting any personal reviews of both bikes before even thinking of converting...

don't get me wrong, I love my cbr.. but for bigger tyres and better stability, i would sacrifice a little top..

I have done over 100,000Km on my CBRs and mostly at higer speeds, no vibrations, not even a hint of a crack in any of the bodywork???

Have you had your wheels balanced??

I went up one size in tyres and after getting used to the different handling, feel they are much more stable at higher speeds, certainly tramline much less on road grooves etc.

Nice the new 150 has 130 rear tyre so much better again. The 250 goes up to 140 rear so I think should provide a nice stable ride from a still relatively light manouverable bike.

Hummm, interesting conversation about 10:00 this morning at the Honda dealer on Huay Kaew Road in C.M.

She said they will be getting the CBR 250 in about 2 weeks, but not getting the 150 at all. Not sure about the reasoning behind that. But will check with other dealer later and see what they say. Could be similar to Yamaha. One dealer handles bikes up to 125, but for 135 and BIG bikes, you have to go to the dealer on Huay Kaew next to the mall.

Got 2 phone calls about 10 minutes apart. Honda dealer on Huay Kaew Rd (Chiang Mai) will have 250's available for viewing around 2:00 today. Have to order with whatever color combo you want. Dealer on Mahidol Rd next to Toyota dealer will have 150's at same time, same "stipulations".

Going to see 150's first, as it's actually the closest one on the way into CM, then go see the 250's.

Hi!

I live in kamala/phuket and last week i was around at several honda dealers askin about the new cbr150... got no info at all and the dealers knew less then me.

u think they will know more now after the big fun fest? I mean , should be able to order one by now...

So anyone have any info about where i can order one in phuket now?

Just got back home from a trip into town to Chumphon's largest Honda dealership. They had a red/white cbr150i on display but no 250i available there yet. The new 150 seems quite a bit bigger physically as the wife said it looked fine with me sat on it whereas I look a little too big on my current cbr150. Not sure if it's taller but feels it, though might just be the wider seat.

Tyres are still IRC as standard though they are the "road winner " version. Price in Chumphon was quoted as 75,900 Baht.

Ok, a little disappointed.

Go to first dealer where wife's cousin works. No bikes yet, but "sometime today!". Dealer on Huay Kaew calls. They have bike. Go there. 1 bike, 150, red/white/blue. No price, can't find out price, but "think maybe 70 or 72,000".

Ok, personally, I kinda like the looks of the red/white/blue. Agreed. the seat is wider and very comfortable, and while straddling it with the kick stand up, it has a better "dead weight" feel to it than the old one did, but that's just a personal opinion and others may disagree.

Headlight is new design, and hopefully better than old one.

But the one thing I definitely liked were the bigger tires (IRC tyres on 2.5" front rim and 3.5" rear rim), which should give the bike better stability, especially at higher speeds.

When I asked about the 250, it was Pom mai rue!

Ok, so we wait. Can't do anything till the 15th anyway as wife is going out of town Sat and won't be back till 14th. But on the 15th I WILL have a new bike. Which one remains to be seen.

Yesterday I was told 76000, but I think on road costs to be added to that, so just under 77000 Baht total

I think, (on paper) it will be a significantly better bike than the older model as they have addressed virtually all negative points from the old model. (can only be confirmed after riding of course)

If the 250 wasnt becoming available soon I would be riding a new 150 today I think. I want test a 250 before deciding which it will be. Would be my 3rd CBR150. Simply there is no other bike on the Thai market to beat it...in its class.

Edited by visions

Sex is ok......... but it's not like the real thing........you will get far more and longer lasting enjoyment from your CBR

Hope you get many KM of enjoyment.

Congratulations on your choice of colour...be mine too in the 150

My self and many others would love to hear your comments after a few runs??

So it's pretty much the exact same bike as the old one, but with more weight, different farings, and FI.

I bet that the farings will fit the old one nearly just as well. With (better) aftermarket pipes and mods available, keeping an old model one seems the wiser decision at the moment.

Cheers chaps.

Dominic.

BTW, with reference to the old one (perhaps a different thread for the new one?) I'm running one with an Endurance pipe and K&N airfilter and the difference with the stock version is amazing. a bit more top end, but getting there, my word, it's like a light little 2-stoke, straight up into the powerband with very little lagging in the lower-middle range.

Cheers chaps.

Dominic.

So it's pretty much the exact same bike as the old one, but with more weight, different farings, and FI.

I bet that the farings will fit the old one nearly just as well. With (better) aftermarket pipes and mods available, keeping an old model one seems the wiser decision at the moment.

Cheers chaps.

Dominic.

Dominic, they are not the same bike. May look, and are, similar in concept but all measurements are different. The engine develops 15% more power and goes further on a litre of gas

The wider rims and tyres look so much better plus add considerably to the safety angle also.

The older model is a fantastic bike, and I think most people will find the new one a significant improvement.

Changing the cowls etc ...is a lot of work and expense, and depending on the value of your present bike, maybe cost as much as upgrading??

Ive just done that to an older bike (not a 150) and cost me the price of a new 250!! Never again.

Dominic, they are not the same bike. May look, and are, similar in concept but all measurements are different.

Actually they're not.

The engine develops 15% more power and goes further on a litre of gas

From what I've read it's quite a bit less than that. With the added weight cancelling out any gain in HP.

With these models being so economical I don't think the difference in gas will mean much to many.

Changing the cowls etc ...is a lot of work and expense, and depending on the value of your present bike, maybe cost as much as upgrading??

I agree, probably at a quick guess around 10-15k.

I however feel that an older model, with a basic aftermarket can, downpipe and airfilter (around 6,000b) would outperform the new model except for stability at the top end cruising. Which for me and a lt of cbr150 riders I know, isn't what they use the cbr for.

Cheers chaps.

Dominic.

Edited by DomToggaf

looks great in Black, Congratz, hope she treats you well.

Canuck.... Getting around to doing my cam chain. I finally can hear what my mechanic hears. If you come to stop and let the engine idle, you will hear the cam chain slap occasionally as the engine hunts at idle. Once you hear it, it's pretty noticeable. Looks like around 1000 baht for the parts and a bit more for labor.

Dominic, they are not the same bike. May look, and are, similar in concept but all measurements are different.

Actually they're not.

Cheers chaps.

Dominic.

I dont know if they are the same or not, just going by the specs Honda provide.

. . . . . . . . . . . . L . . .W . . H . . . .. . WB . . Seat . . Ground . . C/T ...... Weight (kgs)

Old CBR150. 1910 x 652 x 1065 . . . 1286 . . 776 . . . . 172 . . . 25/88 . . . . 115

New CBR150 1977 x 695 x 1130 . . . 1310 . . 793? . . . 185 . . . 25/90 . . . . 138