Rugby World Cup 2007

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least the women's football team put on a fighting display to draw 0-0 with Germany :o

New blood is one thing, but can they be retrained for Rugby in time for the next RWC?

about 8 All Blacks are set to depart after this RWC, so a rebuilding phase in the next few years for us. This is a good opportunity for the young players to step up and be counted. After all, you cant hang on to your past glory days forever.

We are fortunate that rugby is in good shape in NZ, from grass roots level to juniors, under 19, colts, club, et al,.

Im sure Australia is similiar except they suffer from having 2 other codes of footy, thus dilluting the talent pool to draw from.

South Africa is strong but I think they have some issues regarding the introduction of a mandatory % selection of black players in the national squad.

whats the situation in England?

Bit harsh MB. If every English team was sacked after falling in to oblivion after one brief glimmer of greatness, English sport would be in a terrible mess.

And the difference from realty is..... :o

Samoa will be a big test.

Lets hope JW is back if we get as far as the QF.

Cat and Farrell were truly awful, Perry shouldn't be there.

How come we cannot produce quick ball from the breakdown?

Though the true difference between the sides was Boks good kicking game and our dreadful one.

Cheers

Bit harsh MB. If every English team was sacked after falling in to oblivion after one brief glimmer of greatness, English sport would be in a terrible mess.

And the difference from realty is..... :D

Though the true difference between the sides was Boks good kicking game and our dreadful one.

Cheers

I would suggest there would be many more differences than just the one. Some glaring I would say. But I cant be sure as I didnt see the game. :o

And the difference from realty is..... :D

Cheers

I would suggest there would be many more differences than just the one. Some glaring I would say. But I cant be sure as I didnt see the game. :o

As I'm a little ancient to be awake till 0200hrs I woke at ten of six to see the replay as advertised in The UBC programme at 0600.

Star excelled themselves as so often by having a news bulletin just around 0600 when some girl gave the result ; we were all furious and then had to wait till 0700 to see the recording as well.

What a shower .

I'm not sure we want to see the game against Samoa, I can hardly show my face around here already.

A lot of prayers are needed and Farrell is not.

20-32 to the Aussie crims... not a bad result all things considered...

Just back from Tuskers Bar,

results tonight-

NZ 108- Portugal 13

The All Blacks took awhile to get started in tonights match, but started to wind up towards the 2nd quarter, and after the break it was same old. I dont think the ABs would have gained from that match as Portugal offered little resistance. I suppose most of the squad would have had a run now. I felt the game wasnt as polished as the game against the Italians. I think the ABs passed the ball out wide too soon, but they got away with it most times. Would have rather they pushed up the middle a bit more, string more phases together, and suck in a few more defenders before passing out wide. But horses for courses, i guess.

Australia 32- Wales 20

Good effort from the home side to get up and challenge Aussie. But the Wallabies were quicker around the park generally and passes stuck. Result never in doubt. Wales will probably face the boks in the quarters.

will post Ireland vs Georgia result later.

I watched last nights games in the delightful company of Donny and a belligerent Crowboy who made me suffer for being an England fan - quite right too I'd have done the same :D

Reflections -

New Zealand 108 v Portugal 13- Another highly competent display from the AB's obviously nothing of significance can be gained from the result but they all had a run out and are looking pretty sharp. Only concern is that without decent opposition in the group is that they will go undercooked into the quarters. A word of praise though for Portugal who battled gamely without the firepower to compete and never gave up. They scored 13 points more than England and looked very happy at the end. Some good looking Portuguse fans as well. :o

Wales 20 Australia 32 - Very professional display from the Aussies. For the most part they controlled the game against a spirited Welsh side. Wales gave the ball away far too much and didn't have the penetration in their running game that they had a couple of years ago. The Aussie defence looked very good at the gain line which may be an important factor in the latter stages of the competition.

Ireland 14 Georgia 10 - Oh dear Ireland continue in their competition with England for most incompetent team at the RWC. What has happened to this team which was surrounded by so much hope before the tournament began. They even had the bonus of an early try to help them settle. Well done Georgia for such a gutsy performance but on this form it looks an early plane home for the boys in green.

Tonight's games

Fiji v Canada 7pm

Samoa v Tonga 9pm

France v Namibia 2am Monday

A couple of fun games tonight. Fiji Canada seemd to be a battle between a strong Canadian pack and sparkling Fiji backs - I fancy the Canadians to keep it in the forwards and get a hard fought victory

Samao Tonga - must see game. Starting off with Haka wars as the tow teams go toe to toe with their war damces before the game even starts. Exopect a brutal game and plenty of handbags should be great.

France Namibia - French will need to try to get some team cohesion and a morale boosting annihilation of Namibia to try to get their campaign going. Expect stern Namibian resistance and a stroppy crowd on French backs if they don't start piling on quick points. Could be fun.

My predictions on tonight,

Canada vs Fiji - Canada might come away with the goods, but will be hard fought. A close one. Canada by 5.

Samoa vs Tonga- a clash of the PI titians. Huge men smashing each other, could be a few yellows from the ref. Samoa by 20.

France vs Namibia - as MB has said, France needs to win well tonight, end of story. Namibia wont show any respect. France by 40.

Looking ahead-

Games of next weekend will be-

France vs Ireland - must win game for both sides.

England vs Samoa - another must win game, for the 2nd spot in the quarters. Englands players/coach jobs on the line if not already.

MB, like my NEW avatar? :D

Don't think its come through yet Donny I still see the old. Of course any change invalidates your Tuskers discount card :D

Donnyboy, you alright? :o

nah Tigerbeer, Im losing track of how many tries the All Blacks have scored in this RWC, it making my head spin, but its easy if you follow English Rugby :D

MB, what if I changed my avatar to a Tuskers logo gif with some photos of RWC action? Will that get me some free beer?? :D

MB, what if I changed my avatar to a Tuskers logo gif with some photos of RWC action? Will that get me some free beer?? biggrin.gif

May be good for a shandy Donnyboy :D

gee thanks MB, :o

a couple of small upsets in tonights games, will Namibia make it a hat-trick? :D

Tonga 19- Samoa 15,

the race for the 2nd spot in pool A is wide open. Now Tonga can fight England as well as Samoa for that spot.

Fiji 29- Canada 16, Fiji could steal the 2nd spot in their pool if they can overcome Wales in a few weeks time, unless Australia loses to Fiji, or drops a game :D

gee thanks MB, ohmy.gif

A pleasure Donny you know I'll always look after you. I am still waiting for evidence of the change and you might have to teach me how to do the flash thingy

Now to rugby

Tonga 19 Samoa 15 - great performance by Tonga. First time they have beaten the Samoans in 10 games according to the admittedly very poor commentary team. It was an odd game the first half no one looked to be trying particularly hard, the second was bettr and the Tongan forwards especially that Hair Bear feller at number 8 played well. Makes England's task a bit tougher.

Fiji Canada I didn't see but I gather Fiji were always the better side

France 87 Namibia 10. No real surprise France were always going to win this one and the margin suggests they are finally ready to start playing. Looks ominous for Ireland.

No game tonight because it's quiz night. Scotland v Romania tomorrow - not exactly a match to summon the blood.

gee thanks MB, ohmy.gif

A pleasure Donny you know I'll always look after you. I am still waiting for evidence of the change and you might have to teach me how to do the flash thingy

its only a subtle change MB, deleted the Adidas logo for Crowboys benefit. And added some action to it (All Black players) :o

will PM you later on how to do that stuff. Not that hard actually. :D

gee thanks MB, ohmy.gif

No game tonight because it's quiz night. Scotland v Romania tomorrow - not exactly a match to summon the blood.

Im glad the RWC organisers could work around your quiz night MB :D

Tonights Prediction Scotland by 20

Other News, Johnny Wilko says hes fit to face Samoa this weekend. Im sure he could double the English score from their last outing :o

Trouble is, will he get thru the match without sustaining another injury. Samoa = bone crunching tacklers.

post-15912-1190020527_thumb.jpg

Other News, Johnny Wilko says hes fit to face Samoa this weekend. Im sure he could double the English score from their last outing :o

Trouble is, will he get thru the match without sustaining another injury. Samoa = bone crunching tacklers.

Ahhh, with Jonny back on the field the English might actually be able to score in the Football Rugby world cup

Other News, Johnny Wilko says hes fit to face Samoa this weekend. Im sure he could double the English score from their last outing :D

Ahhh, with Jonny back on the field the English might actually be able to score in the Football Rugby world cup

this games gonna be a good one :o

Samoa can still beat England - Williams

Former All Black great Bryan Williams isn't giving up hope of a Samoan win over England next week, despite yesterday's narrow loss to Tonga.

"It's a pretty even pool," said Williams, who starred on the wing for New Zealand in the 1970s and whose son Gavin plays centre for Manu Samoa. "There's still a chance they could win."

The two Pacific Island teams battled it out early yesterday (NZ time), resulting in an unexpected 19-15 win to Tonga.

Williams - who is now rugby director for the Ponsonby club - predicts the Samoa-England game will be a highlight of the rugby World Cup as both teams "are pretty desperate".

He will lead a tour group to France on Thursday to watch the rest of the cup games.

And although Manu Samoa's games aren't on the official trip, Williams said he would definitely be going along to support the team.

"This is their last chance - if they don't perform they're out."

Tongans throughout New Zealand were still coming to grips with the win yesterday.

"Personally I never expected it," said Manna 'Otai, who represented Tonga in 1995 rugby World Cup. "I didn't think they were up to it.

'Otai, who now coaches the Marist rugby team, said his screams of joy nearly woke up his household yesterday.

Tonga had "out-passioned" their rivals, who may have predicted an easy win and instead concentrated on their following games, he said.

"There was too much thinking about England."

But, predicted 'Otai, Tonga may have a hard time beating South Africa in their next match.

"My concern isn't if they win, but whether they put up a good fight."

broTown and Sione's Wedding actor Oscar Kightley said yesterday's game had provided many Tongans with "bragging rights".

"It's similar to a New Zealand-versus-Australia game. I'm really happy for the Tongan people because I know how much it means to them.

"But I'm still going for Samoa," Kightley said.

A Tongan barrister in Auckland, Sione Fonua, said there had been problems with the Tongan rugby administration but if those were settled the team would lift their game even higher. "I must give my congratulations to the coach, who seems to be doing some good work."

Mr Fonua said the win showed that Tonga had the players to perform well on the international rugby stage.

"Tonga will be a force. I've always had that belief and I have no doubt in my mind that they have the ability to get up there and make the quarter- finals, even the semifinals," Mr Fonua said.

King George Tupou V has joined his countrymen in applauding the win.

- additional reporting: Edward Gay

that knee will be tested in the semis- will it be a factor?

Have you ever seen him with all those bandages on him?

hes had more hits than the Beetles. :o

Larkham out until semis

CARDIFF - Wallabies five-eighth Stephen Larkham will be available for the Rugby World Cup semi-finals after undergoing knee surgery on Sunday (NZ time) in France.

Larkham had some floating material cleaned out behind his right kneecap during the arthroscope in Montpellier where he remained in hospital overnight.

A Wallabies spokesman said he would definitely be available for the October 13 semi-final, probably against the All Blacks, if Australia progressed that far.

But he said there was even a possibility Larkham could play the October 6 quarter-final, likely to be against England, in Marseille.

It is relieving news for the Wallabies who feared the worst after he aggravated the chronic knee injury in kicking practice on Friday, ruling him out of the 32-20 pool win over Wales at Millennium Stadium.

- AAP