Reliable Isp In Phuket?!

natalie8

I've been living in Phuket since December and I've had internet with TOT since January. First off, we had to call them 4 times for them to even bother showing up. :o Then, I got the name of the contact from someone I worked with. It went down for 10 days before Songkran. Apparently the whole area was out. My neighbour across the street got his back the next day, but I didn't.

Every day, it goes down. It's really frustrating. Either it's the host, the ethernet connection or the whole internet. I don't really know the providers in Phuket, only the ones in Bangkok. When I was in Bangkok and had True, no problems. If there ever was a technical issue, which only happened 3 times in a year, you could call them and they would tell you what's wrong and how to fix it, if possible through your computer.

They even call you back after a few minutes to make sure it's working. So, is there a decent ISP in Phuket??

:D

I have a TT&T/Maxnet internet connection.

Only had it on just over a month, but have had 100% service so far.

I am in Central Phuket.

I know someone at Rawai who was with the same ISP, but had a lot of problems, so it may also depend on the area that you live in.

What part of the island do you live in?

Thanks for the quick reply. I live in Baan Term Fan in Cherngthalay, off Srisoonthon Rd. It's a mooban with alot of houses, so, I don't understand. Next month, I'm moving to a brand new house on a soi on the other side of the main rd and I want to (need to) change providers.

Edited by natalie8

I don't know enough to tell you if a provider can offer naked DSL here.

What i can tell you based on my experience.

I used to live in Bangtao and had TT&T as my land line.

With TT&T I had a choice of isp's to choose from and packages and rates. Including the the one offed by TT&T (Maxnet) I went with CSLoxinf and the service was good and reliable with them after calling them 4 times in the first 2 weeks didn't have problems there after for the next year and a half.

Now I'm in a new house over in Koh Keaw area (boat lagoon area) My house came with a TT&T line and i wanted to stick with them but they said I was too far away from their node to provide service. I know friends in the same village that had TOT and ADSL so I applied for a TOT phone number.

:o

Applied in October '06 - Line installed in late Dec'06 (3 months)

I get a call from TOT on my mobile asking how I like my ADSL?

I tell them i don't know, you havne't activated my line yet... *pause* OH? I'll check on that and get back to you. 2weeks later my line is activated.

I'm under the impression that if TOT is your land line provider TOT is the ONLY ISP you can have.

(If I'm mistaken PLEASE correct me)

My service with TOT has been just as disgraceful as you have described. frequent drops and outages in at random times or even for days.

I called them up once to asked what was going on? gave them my phone number and the tech asked 'are you in the south'

'I'm in phuket, yes'

'oh no internet in the south'

:D

'ummm, ok, do you know when it will be back on?'

'maybe tomorrow'

I feel your pain Nat

we'll get together at the TV Phuket BBQ and kevech over a pint :D

I would say if check if youhave TT&T at your new house, may give you more options.

Alternatives for internet include

IP Star

TRUE dedicated lease line

or a lease line from CAT

all more expensive than ADSL

Just now:

Last Result:

Download Speed: 926 kbps (115.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 196 kbps (24.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

ADSL from TOT, first couple of weeks many problems.

After I've spoken to a manager they came and fixed the problem.

Since months now reliable and good connection.

Gerd

I am in Central Phuket.

I know someone at Rawai who was with the same ISP, but had a lot of problems, so it may also depend on the area that you live in.

I live in Rawai. Either it is the electricity going down quite often - from a half to full day with no notice - or the telephone connection - for me TT&T.

It is NOT good enough in this day and age. My editors and clients (both in Thailand and overseas) are furious when I cannot meet deadlines due to tech problems - and am sure by now they must think I am making up poor excuses.

All the internet shops in the area are wringing their hands in exasperation as they also lose much business and customer confidence.

When will Phuket's IT scene get its ACT TOGETHER and become the IT HUB that is so lamely projected?

I am in Central Phuket.

I live in Rawai. Either it is the electricity going down quite often - from a half to full day with no notice - or the telephone connection - for me TT&T.

It is NOT good enough in this day and age. My editors and clients (both in Thailand and overseas) are furious when I cannot meet deadlines due to tech problems - and am sure by now they must think I am making up poor excuses.

All the internet shops in the area are wringing their hands in exasperation as they also lose much business and customer confidence.

When will Phuket's IT scene get its ACT TOGETHER and become the IT HUB that is so lamely projected?

Well at least Phuket has one up on Bankok - The island now has full wireless internet coverage by Cat Telecoms new CDMA EV-DO network.

It might be a bit slow but it's reliable. http://www.contactcenter.cattelecom.com/th...nfo.asp#anchor6

I am in Central Phuket.

If the powers gone down I don't see why thats the ISP's fault, if you want a solid line you'll have to pay for it - I have an Island Technology line at $100 a month for 256kbps, but I get that always and it never goes down (unless its planned maintenance) - Perhaps thats an option for you? In terms of deadlines, can't you write the article and pop along somewhere else to send it if its important, or just go out and wardrive on your laptop.

I am in Central Phuket.

If the powers gone down I don't see why thats the ISP's fault, if you want a solid line you'll have to pay for it - I have an Island Technology line at $100 a month for 256kbps, but I get that always and it never goes down (unless its planned maintenance) - Perhaps thats an option for you? In terms of deadlines, can't you write the article and pop along somewhere else to send it if its important, or just go out and wardrive on your laptop.

I pay $50 a month with Loxinfo and even if the power is up the telephone lines go down on a regular basis - the latest excuse? It's raining!

Again: When will Phuket's IT scene get its ACT TOGETHER and become the IT HUB that is so lamely projected?

the latest excuse? It's raining!

I forgot to mention that. Every time it rains, I lose either my internet, UBC or both. Grrrrrrr!!!!!

Anyway, I appreciate all your replies and suggestions for other providers. I'll ask my landlady if we have the other options.

Hi,

I have been living in Phuket for 5 years now. I tried first IP Star, thet ADSL with TOT, then DTAC Gprs unlimited traffic, then CAT EvDo and now CAT HiNet.

CAT Hinet is the best. No reboot of the router since I have it : 45 days. I am downloading torrents @ around 160KB/s and uploading @ the same speed. Sometimes even over 200Kb/s.

Price is around 2850 B/month for a 2/2 Mbps (download/upload)

Have a look at : http://www.cat.net.th/hinet/package01.html

Regards.

Hi,

I have been living in Phuket for 5 years now. I tried first IP Star, thet ADSL with TOT, then DTAC Gprs unlimited traffic, then CAT EvDo and now CAT HiNet.

CAT Hinet is the best. No reboot of the router since I have it : 45 days. I am downloading torrents @ around 160KB/s and uploading @ the same speed. Sometimes even over 200Kb/s.

Price is around 2850 B/month for a 2/2 Mbps (download/upload)

Have a look at : http://www.cat.net.th/hinet/package01.html

Regards.

TOT, ADSL, Cherngtalay. OK sometimes, but the quality varies... Will change operator.

2007-04-23 19:18:05 131.36 kbit/s

2007-04-22 04:15:17 200.66 kbit/s

2007-04-10 04:02:01 19.64 kbit/s

2007-04-07 18:21:04 6.62 kbit/s

2007-04-07 06:12:41 10.64 kbit/s

2007-04-06 17:35:27 14.19 kbit/s

2007-04-05 19:31:04 22.67 kbit/s

2007-04-05 03:56:16 5.78 kbit/s

2007-04-04 04:04:17 19.85 kbit/s

2007-04-03 08:32:33 5.83 kbit/s

2007-04-02 08:38:51 34.32 kbit/s

2007-04-01 15:51:28 11.22 kbit/s

2007-04-01 15:28:50 9.44 kbit/s

2007-04-01 15:25:23 8.22 kbit/s

2007-03-30 05:54:59 209.54 kbit/s

2007-03-28 16:56:59 9.67 kbit/s

2007-03-09 12:46:14 200.81 kbit/s

2007-01-25 02:38:26 369.86 kbit/s

2007-01-09 01:54:30 156.65 kbit/s

2007-01-08 10:37:54 20.12 kbit/s

2007-01-08 10:36:57 9.18 kbit/s

2007-01-08 10:35:35 17.85 kbit/s

2007-01-01 04:52:09 230.98 kbit/s

2006-12-27 12:56:48 233.62 kbit/s

2006-12-27 06:55:08 201.98 kbit/s

2006-12-27 06:51:06 148.45 kbit/s

2006-12-26 21:50:04 182.18 kbit/s

UBC is satellite and, if it rains hard enough, the dish can't "see" the satellite. It's called rain fade. It happens anywhere in the world if it's raining hard enough. But the internet is awful! I never got internet installed because of how overpriced it is and it does't so work many times. For 35 baht an hour I just go to the local internet shop, if their connection is up and take care of business. It seems less frustrating...

the latest excuse? It's raining!

I forgot to mention that. Every time it rains, I lose either my internet, UBC or both. Grrrrrrr!!!!!

Anyway, I appreciate all your replies and suggestions for other providers. I'll ask my landlady if we have the other options.

I'm under the impression that if TOT is your land line provider TOT is the ONLY ISP you can have.

(If I'm mistaken PLEASE correct me)

My service with TOT has been just as disgraceful as you have described. frequent drops and outages in at random times or even for days.

Your mistaken you can have TOT and an ISP package but (this cracks me up) you have to pay for the TOT ISP if you use it or not.. I spoke to them and they said the ISP is 'free' and the line is what you pay for, so if using another ISP you just use your line (Pay TOT) and pay the other ISP too..

I recently moved from southern Chalong (near the roundabout in Ananda Garden Hill Village) to a new shophouse farther up Chaofa West. In our old house, we had very fast broadband from Singapore - no real problems in five months: great download speeds (used to download plenty of music, TV shows, and movies via BitTorrent), awesome customer service.

I can actually see the TOT "service center" from my third floor balcony which makes our current problems all the more frustrating:

We ordered a TOT phone line plus ADSL back in late March by filling out an application at aforementioned "service center". The man who took our application told us to go to the "customer center" in Central Festival to pay deposit and fees and to pick up our modem there. My (Thai) wife went to pay our blood money on March 23. Returned without modem; said they'd told her the modem would be provided when TOT arrived to hook up the ADSL.

After several calls plus a 2-minute motorbike journey up the road to provide a map to our home (most Thais can't read maps so why does every delivery-type place insist you give them a map?) despite being in sight of where they send the trucks out on service calls, workers finally arrived on April 5 to install the phone line. This consisted up them starting at the far end of our row of shophouses and stringing phone cable along the bottom of the 2nd floor baloncies. When they arrived at our house, they stood a long bamboo ladder on the outside wall and ran the line straight up the wall before drilling a hole under the third-floor window. Ran the phone wire through the hole, tied it off rather messily, and attached a phone jack to the dangling end. Voila! Phone service.

The foreman (it took four workers to do this job -- which my wife also recruited to put up several wall fans when they finished the main job) gave me a sheet a paper with the phone number for the ADSL hook-up guy. He said to wait 24 hours before calling him and they would be out to install the ADSL within another 2 or 3 days.

I'm still waiting as of May 9th!

We tried calling the hook-up guy numerous times. Songkran was a major delay as he seemed to go on holiday for around two weeks and those answering the phone couldn't tell us when he'd return (in typical Thai fashion it was always "Maybe tomorrow"). When my wife finally got him on the phone (the language barrier being a problem), he asked if we had the modem. My wife told him TOT at Central had said he would bring it when he came to install the service. He said we could buy a modem from him for some ridiculous amount (I think it was 3000 baht). But we'd already paid back in March (TOT charged us 1000 baht).

Luckily, I'd kept the receipt and there was the charge in faded blue-and-white. The hook-up guy said we'd have to get the modem from TOT then. We called them straight away (this was around April 25 - over a month after paying our deposit/fees/blood money). They told my wife that the "promotion" was finished and we'd have to pay them 1,500 baht for a modem since we weren't given one despite already paying! He did say if we got a modem he'd be out the following day to hook it up. Enough of the phone calls! Off we went to Central.

There was A LOT of confusion once we got there. I produced the receipt but it wasn't good enough. They couldn't find our original application in the computer and it took a number of employees over an hour to locate it in one of their giant binder notebooks. More confusion. The contract had been cancelled by somebody. They wouldn't believe we even had a working phone line until we called the number in front of the "customer service" representative.

Okay. We had phone service. Did we want ADSL? Yes! That's the entire point we're trying to make! You must buy modem. We already paid! Promotion finish. My wife later told me that the person who re-entered us into the computer was going to give us a modem for free at one point but that the "big boss" told her to charge us since I was farang. I ended up paying another 1,450 baht for a modem (although one of the workers insisted I needed the 4-port modem; I only have one laptop so I didn't need any more than one port). They assured us that they would call the hook-up guy and he'd be out within the next day or two.

Before leaving for work the following day, I gave my username and password to my wife so she could power-on the laptop in case the ADSL hook-up guy showed up when I wasn't there. I looked forward to having a working connection when I got home. Well, I returned home in the evening only to be told that TOT had called my wife to tell her it would be another week or two because they didn't have a "part". She couldn't explain to be which part they were missing or why they didn't tell us the evening before (we'd left TOT around 7) so I thought I'd call and ask myself.

Well, that was another exercise in frustration when the "customer service" person initially refused to tell me anything, insisting that she'd told my wife. I asked her to tell me what she'd told my wife only to get the flat answer, "I already talk to Khun Sangwan." I asked for her supervisor and she hung up! I ended up calling the main TOT office in Bangkok and they told me there wasn't enough demand in my area for ADSL and they were out of ports. Why couldn't they tell me that when I paid the initial money or when they installed the phone line or when they forced me to pay for the modem a second time? "Sorry, no have port." Okay. How long? "Maybe one month, maybe three month."

Bloody heck.

Anyway, we don't seem to have any other option where I live. I suppose since TOT is at the head of the soi they prevent others from going past? It's frustrating. For now, I've bought a dial-up card but the speeds are VERY slow (averaging 8-15 Kbps download speed when/if it works). And to think we'd taken the time and energy to search for the "perfect" new home. Well, it's perfect in all respects except for the lack of a decent Internet connection. And, really, the Internet is a VERY big part of my life in my free time.

Any suggestions? I mean, aside from moving...

• 1 month later...

geoffphuket wrote:

Try Cat telecoms EV-DO CDMA network @ 590Bt month. 400-700Kbps connection with the sierra aircard. Call into the CAT office in Phuket town with your PC or laptop and they'll have you up and running in no time.

Is it fast? How is it with graphics and pictures?

If you believed any IT Hub hype then you are taking it way too seriously. If you want an IT Hub to live in, then Singapore is very close. Phuket's screwed-up-ness is also its attraction; if it was more efficient then there'd be a lot more people living here, which I don't want.

My work depends on using the Internet so I have a TOT ADSL line and for a backup I have the CDMA EV-DO card. The big downside to the EV-DO card is the horrendously slow upload speed. But if you laptop is fairly new with good battery life and you have a backup power supply that you keep juiced up, then you can go almost the entire day without electricity and get your work done. It happens to me about once every 3 months.

Good luck.

As I am officially based in Singapore but do much of my work from Phuket, I have to have a fast and reliable internet connection. In my experience, the standard home ADSL lines in Thailand are poor quality. However, if you are prepared to pay for a professional SME package, the service can be very good.

I use TT&T Maxnet Small Office package (known as Maxnet4 Life). In six months I have had only one day of connectivity problems. It delivers high speeds 24/7 and is as good as anything I can get in Singapore. I use it for VOIP, Conf calls, Netmeetings, Outlook, DB Connectivity, etc.