Lifespan of Tiled Overflow Pool

pj123

If I spent 20,000 THB/m2 on a pool from a reputable supplier and I maintain it properly, how many years will it last? I recall reading that even the best quality liners will only last 30 years and all pool equipment needs replacing every 10 years.

Just now, pj123 said:

If I spent 20,000 THB/m2 on a pool from a reputable supplier and I maintain it properly, how many years will it last? I recall reading that even the best quality liners will only last 30 years and all pool equipment needs replacing every 10 years. I say 20,000 as this seems to be the general opinion here of what you should expect to spend.

14 hours ago, pj123 said:

If I spent 20,000 THB/m2 on a pool from a reputable supplier and I maintain it properly, how many years will it last? I recall reading that even the best quality liners will only last 30 years and all pool equipment needs replacing every 10 years.

1st line of defence is the grout. Was it quality Weber or Crocodile swimming pool grout? Did you get swimming pool tiles which are thicker & if good will have glass over the edge to down the sides. Was quality swimming pool adhesive used & not cement. Was a rubber bung put in the floor & walls when construction was done? Was a rubberised compound or polymer used in the water proof render? 

If all these are in place and a salt chlorinator is in place then you can expect to  get at least 5 yr out of the grout. With good water balance you may get longer. That means ph 7.2 - 7.6, T/A 80 - 120, keep you chlorine levels 1.5 - 3 ppm.

You will be lucky to get 10 yrs out of the pump & salt chlorinator. Chlorinators don't like the constant humidity. Best brand is Australian made PuraPool. Don't store any chemicals other than salt in the pump room.

I would recommend a PebbleCrete finish. Hardest surface on the market. Gets better with age & no maintenance. 5 yr product warranty. You won't get warranty with any other surface! It has a quarze crystal base which is graded & washed. No more grout issues or tiles falliing off!

Have a look

www.pebblecrete.com 

• 2 months later...
On 11/14/2020 at 3:52 AM, Bagwain said:

1st line of defence is the grout. Was it quality Weber or Crocodile swimming pool grout? Did you get swimming pool tiles which are thicker & if good will have glass over the edge to down the sides. Was quality swimming pool adhesive used & not cement. Was a rubber bung put in the floor & walls when construction was done? Was a rubberised compound or polymer used in the water proof render? 

If all these are in place and a salt chlorinator is in place then you can expect to  get at least 5 yr out of the grout. With good water balance you may get longer. That means ph 7.2 - 7.6, T/A 80 - 120, keep you chlorine levels 1.5 - 3 ppm.

You will be lucky to get 10 yrs out of the pump & salt chlorinator. Chlorinators don't like the constant humidity. Best brand is Australian made PuraPool. Don't store any chemicals other than salt in the pump room.

I know pools with the grout outlasting 25 years (and counting), FC, pH and TA always in the right range of course... 5 years (or less) for the grout is IMHO the typical bad maintenance Thai pool survival time with highly acidic water

4 hours ago, zappalot said:

I know pools with the grout outlasting 25 years (and counting), FC, pH and TA always in the right range of course... 5 years (or less) for the grout is IMHO the typical bad maintenance Thai pool survival time with highly acidic water

The main culprit is the 90% Tri-Chlor used. It has a pH of 7 and has cynuric acid as part of its make up. The cynuric acid levels increase making the pH lower & lower.  Soda ash is used to buffer in some cases, however most of the natives don't care about water balance. In Australia we use silica sand & white portland cement for grout, this lasts forever, so to speak. Tiling is not popular in Australia now due to labour costs!

4 hours ago, Bagwain said:

The main culprit is the 90% Tri-Chlor used. It has a pH of 7 and has cynuric acid as part...

Yes, 90% TCCA is the problem, but it is even worse then you say: its composition brings down the pools pH to levels below 4 and TA to 0...

Thais do not care about this connection...

But: even in Thailand there are other chlorines out there, use TCCA and a chlorine high in pH together and u never need to adjust pH and have a forever lasting grout...

1 hour ago, zappalot said:

Yes, 90% TCCA is the problem, but it is even worse then you say: its composition brings down the pools pH to levels below 4 and TA to 0...

Thais do not care about this connection...

But: even in Thailand there are other chlorines out there, use TCCA and a chlorine high in pH together and u never need to adjust pH and have a forever lasting grout...

Better still - put in an "Oxy Minerale" system that uses Oxygen production to sanitise. Acid twice a week to keep pH down & no issues! The system uses pink Himalayan salt which has 84 minerales that are great for the skin! Quite popular. Spin off - can be use in the kitchen as well! Bahahaha

• 3 months later...
On 11/13/2020 at 7:03 PM, pj123 said:

I wrote something about this in another thread.  I spent some 150,000 Baht 15 years ago for 12x3m  OF one side, with tiles, DIY with village brick layers under my ingenious advice, with cheap tiles and cement, with simple machinery from Global House, and low chemistry, no problem after 15 years and daily swimming.