Corrections department rebuts protest leaders' claims of substandard food in prisons

webfact

Can't one of the commentators ask "Google"? So much nonsense under a post is almost as hard to bear as the nonsense about Corona - poor humanity.
"EACH DAY, every inmate of a Thai prison is expected to survive on Bt49 worth of food and cooking gas. That meagre amount appears in the official budget found in the Budget Bureau’s paper. However, that budget is allocated to feed the “average” prison population of 190,200 inmates. In reality that average is often far exceeded by the actual number of prisoners. This month, the number of inmates has already soared past 350,000 and they are sharing the same food budget as was intended for 190,200 inmates."

In a Thai prison there is "<deleted>" to eat. Not even the "rice" is edible, it is garbage!
https://www.nationthailand.com/national/30347403

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

“All meal plans are notified to inmates in advance,..."

"...the department has been allocated a budget of only Bt54 per inmate per meal for three meals [a] day, which includes both ingredients and fuel costs,..."

54 baht a day, that's 18 baht per meal.

You can't even get a bowl of noodles for that at a street stall.

Yet, the department assures that everything is above board and that prison food is *not* substandard and that is all oh so nutritious.

Heck, they even issue "meal plans".

One can only surmise what these "meal plans" might look like:

MONDAY

Breakfast - fish head soup

Lunch - fish head soup

inner - fish head soup

TUESDAY

Breakfast - pork cartilage in watery rice soup

Lunch - pork cartilage in watery rice soup

Dinner - pork cartilage in watery rice soup

(to our Muslim inmates we serve sheep cartilage instead)

etc.

I read it as per meal which would be 162 bhat a day 

3 hours ago, oslooskar said:

The food in California prisons was horrific in the 1980s when a friend of mine was incarcerated there. I called the department of corrections in 1983 and asked for a menu of the meals that were to be served their inmates and they did not seem to have a clue about vitamin C. In fact, with the exception of a little coleslaw, there was no fresh fruit or vegetables on their menus.  So, my friend was lucky that the visitor's room in the prison had a vending machine that dispensed refrigerated apples.

What do they expect steak and lobster sorry but they're in prison 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, oldhippy said:

1/ Who believes a dinosaur?

2/ It is a disgusting habit of some posters to approve of any extra torturing of prisoners. It is up to the courts to pronounce a sentence, it is not up to the prison wardens to organise a little extra punishment.

Waiting for a "don't drop the soap" remark.....

OK don't drop the soap ????

10 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

You are right.

It looks like it's 54 baht per meal. And there are 3 meals a day. So it would be 162 baht per day and prisoner. My mistake.

But still... a 54 baht budget per meal is probably not yielding much more than a single plate of rice with some meager toppings. 

Yeah....you have no idea....

Everyone knows that conditions in Thai jails are beyound of what is acceptable under international standards for prisoners. Just look at Bangkok Hilton on youtube or consult humanrights.com. A 5-year penalty in a Thai jail is a death penalty, miserable food is just part of it.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Although the department has been allocated a budget of only Bt54 per inmate per meal for three meals day, which includes both ingredients and fuel costs

Not sure what this means Bt54 per meal? I doubt that or Bt54 for 3 meals i believe that, Includes fuel costs? that i don't understand does no one deliver.  Oh now i get it fuel for cooking.:sorry:

Edited by brianthainess

11 minutes ago, Winky Wilson said:

Looks like bone broth and green vegetables. People pay big money in America for this healthy meal. Protestors need these healthy items for for a healthy mind and longevity. The corrections department is doing a great job. 

What planet you living on?

Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about.

• Like 2

The 54 thb per person per day pretty much seem to be in line for the daily prison food cost allotment of my native ( in EU) country.

4-5* cruise lines spend about 9-10$ a day on their guests food, that on average include steak and lobster too!!

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-magazine/feature-magazine-articles/8802-spring-2013-fab-food-spend-steady.html

The cruise lines spend about 4-5$ actual on their crew's food...workers of 10+ hours a day, everyday.

Asians may have the infamous fish head soup served there as choice too!!

Ah, and as a final thought:

The Thai "pension" at age 70 is 800thb....

Do the math how much just the old guy gets for his daily food?!!!

• Like 1

Seen an article in the Pattaya Mail a few years back that they awarded a food contact to a vendor. They got 10,000 baht per prisoner for a year. That works out to 27.40 baht for the day. You will not eat "high on the hog" for that amount.

"It was accepted by the public and the authorities that a restricted diet should form part of the punishment".

Maybe the same applies?  Being deprived of a bacon butty would soon bring me to my senses.

http://www.foodreference.com/html/british-prison-food.html

• Haha 1