Earliest possible tourist visa extension

This is probably discussed on some earlier topic or a FAQ but I can't find anything so...

Is there a maximum number of days a tourist visa entry stamp can have remaining before it can be extended? I've just entered on a 60 day tourist visa but I want to extend it as soon as possible to get it taken care of.

Also, I'll be travelling around. Is there a particular immigration office where this is known to be especially easy?

Thanks

• Haha 1

It depends on WHAT KIND of extension you would be applying for.

1 - When applying for a 'simple' 30-day extension of stay based on your 60-day Tourist Visa.  This can be done up till last day of your current permission to stay, and earliest you can apply for it would be 2 weeks before permission to stay expiry at most IOs.

2 - When married to a Thai national or with Thai dependent children, you can apply for a 60-day extension of stay for reason of Marriage/Dependent children.  Like for #1 this can be done up till last day of your current permission to stay, and earliest you can apply for it would be 2 weeks before permission to stay expiry at most IOs.

3 - When applying for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa based on your current 60-day Tourist Visa, the above does not apply and you would have to apply for it with AT LEAST 15 days left on your permission to stay (some offices require minimum 23 days).  The earliest you can apply for it would be approx 1 month before permission to stay expiry at most IOs.

Note: Be aware that you would need to apply for the subsequent 1-year extension of stay at the very same IO where you applied for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa. 

Edited by Peter Denis

6 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

It depends on WHAT KIND of extension you would be applying for.

1 - When applying for a 'simple' 30-day extension of stay based on your 60-day Tourist Visa.  This can be done up till last day of your current permission to stay, and earliest you can apply for it would be 2 weeks before permission to stay expiry at most IOs.

2 - When married to a Thai national or with Thai dependent children, you can apply for a 60-day extension of stay for reason of Marriage/Dependent children.  Like for #1 this can be done up till last day of your current permission to stay, and earliest you can apply for it would be 2 weeks before permission to stay expiry at most IOs.

3 - When applying for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa based on your current 60-day Tourist Visa, the above does not apply and you would have to apply for it with AT LEAST 15 days left on your permission to stay (some offices require minimum 23 days).  The earliest you can apply for it would be approx 1 month before permission to stay expiry at most IOs.

Note: Be aware that you would need to apply for the subsequent 1-year extension of stay at the very same IO where you applied for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa. 

I have a friend (no, seriously I do) who wants to come back on a 60 day tourist Visa, perhaps extend it for a further 30 days, and the convert back to a multi entry retirement Visa ?

He had the retirement visa with extensions but went home just before lockdown, that has now all expired, he has COVID-19 insurance, a flight, money in the bank, he also owns property here along with a car & a bike, can he come back on a tourist 60 day - extendable, and convert to a retirement visa ? Thanks in advance. 

33 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I have a friend (no, seriously I do) who wants to come back on a 60 day tourist Visa, perhaps extend it for a further 30 days, and the convert back to a multi entry retirement Visa ?

He had the retirement visa with extensions but went home just before lockdown, that has now all expired, he has COVID-19 insurance, a flight, money in the bank, he also owns property here along with a car & a bike, can he come back on a tourist 60 day - extendable, and convert to a retirement visa ? Thanks in advance. 

Why doesn't he apply for the retirement visa before leaving his country?

6 hours ago, ThaiVisaCentre said:

Why doesn't he apply for the retirement visa before leaving his country?

@GoldenTriangle > That's a good suggestion as the process to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement (if the Thai Embassy/Consulate of your home-country provides such Visa as not all of them do) is easier than applying in-country.  However, afaik the Thai Embassies abroad do not handle applications for that specific Visa during the current covid-19 restrictions.  So if you want that specific Visa you would have to apply for the 60-day TouristVisa abroad, and once in country you could then apply for that 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement. 

Note: When married to a Thai national or having Thai dependent children, applying for the Single-Entry 90-day or Multiple-Entry 1-year Non Imm O Visa for that reason in your home-country, is an option.

General info > As mentioned higher and apart from the current covid-19  restrictions, note that not all Thai Embassies/Consulates abroad issue a SingleEntry 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.  But It is recommended to check at some of your home-country's Consulate websites when your home country's Thai Embassy does not issue such a Visa, or vice versa check on the Thai Embassy website when the Consulate does not issue it.

Note: As far as I know there are only two Thai consulates where you can apply for the MultipleEntry 1-year Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, and that's at Savannakhet (Laos) and Penang (Malaysia).  Obviously with borders currently closed the above is not an option.

Edited by Peter Denis