Moving Household Goods From USA to Thailand

I'm planning to move in July, and I have some stuff that I would like to bring, but I have really no idea how much it should cost and who I should ask for quotes.  There are a ton of companies that advertise this on the internet, but they all seem a bit dodgy.  Obviously, if it gets too expensive or too burdensome, I could just sell or give away everything, but I want to at least be informed on the cost/process/taxes before making that decision.

Anyone else go down this route?  Any recommendations for companies to use?

Thx

• Haha 1

Depends on where you are located.  I used flatratemovers.com based in New York City.  Shipped it out without a delivery address, moved to Bangkok, signed a lease, informed flatrate where to deliver it, and received in good order six or eight weeks after shipping.  The Thai shipper on the receiving end arrived with the container still under seal and delivered the contents into the apartment.  That was around ten years ago.  We had some pieces of furniture, but not a whole apartment's worth.  I think it cost about $4,000 at the time.

It's easier than it looks, but getting a reliable company is the key.

• 6 months later...

Search around online for international movers and call them up for a price quote. It's pretty easy once you have all the information you need (where you live, where you're moving, how much stuff, etc.) You can get quotes from several companies and compare prices without too much hassle too. For an international move, I'd suggest finding a company that operates between the countries regularly so that there's no unexpected surprised due to inexperience or not fully understanding the laws/requirements. As for a rec, I'd suggest taking a look at three men and a truck as a good international option. I know they handle a lot of moving between the U.S. & Southeast Asia. 

There a lot of Thais in America, and they are moving things to Thailand all the time, There are also a lot of Thai companies helping them to do so and they have being doing it for years, 

Our US home is in FL. The wife went on line at the Thai FB page and asked. I suggest you all do the same. The company we used splits containers among different people. They have a truck that drives up and down the east cost and collects boxes. They have a set day of the month for your area. 

We shipped about ten large moving boxes , the once you get from Lowes, with everything from clothes to kitchen equipment to my self propelled lawnmower. It was relatively inexpensive. If I remember correctly , about $140 per box. . It took about 3 months because of the bottleneck  caused by the closing of the Suez Canal. but everything was picked up from our house in FL and three months later was delivered to our house in Thailand. No hustle, no customs, the boxes were un opened I could have had anything in them. 

PM me if you need more info.