Higher COVID-19 Insurance Premium for UK/US Visitors than Chinese?

worldexpress

I followed the COVID-19 insurance link on this site's ASQ page to check out the premium costs. To my surprise, the premiums vary depending on the nationality of the visitors. The UK/US citizen premium was 60% higher than the amount for Chinese nationals for the same parameters of stay. <deleted>?

2021-03-27 (2).png

2021-03-27 (3).png

The rating may be understandable now since the  extent of infection is very high in the USA.  The USA will have most of its its population fully vaccinated by August/September, so the rating should be reviewed then.

I do agree that the rating  is also questionable if one is aware of the  vaccine reality.  People who would travel to Thailand from USA now are most likely to be fully vaccinated with one of the two better vaccines, Pfizer or Moderna. The Russians and Chinese are using unproven and unverified vaccines. Much of China is not vaccinated.  Thailand is  going to self destruct when ti  throws open its doors to the Chinese with their variants and unknown vaccine  effectiveness. Thai people are not vaccinated.

• Like 1

Both make valid points and I do understand the insurance is always underwritten based on risk factors. But all visitors, regardless of nationality, are admitted under assumption, via test/documentation requirements,  that they are COVID free when they hit Thai soil. Plus, I understand these Thai COVID policy has a wait period by which time quarantine period is over. If that's the case, the risk factors are even for all nationalities. Correct?

On 3/28/2021 at 2:43 AM, worldexpress said:

I followed the COVID-19 insurance link on this site's ASQ page to check out the premium costs. To my surprise, the premiums vary depending on the nationality of the visitors. The UK/US citizen premium was 60% higher than the amount for Chinese nationals for the same parameters of stay. <deleted>?

Are you at all familiar with the term "insurance underwriting"?

Not everything is scam. Everyone is not out to get you.

1 hour ago, worldexpress said:

Both make valid points and I do understand the insurance is always underwritten based on risk factors. But all visitors, regardless of nationality, are admitted under assumption, via test/documentation requirements,  that they are COVID free when they hit Thai soil. Plus, I understand these Thai COVID policy has a wait period by which time quarantine period is over. If that's the case, the risk factors are even for all nationalities. Correct?

Not quite.  Despite testing etc not everyone will be "COVID free when they hit Thai soil".  The tests merely reduce these numbers to a manageable level.  The insurance will pay for the escapes and these will be higher if the point of origin is UK or USA (for now).

• Like 1