BNP (brain natriuretic peptide) test for the the heart

fvw53

I live close to one of the leading Thai university hospitals where I undergo since 20 years - and every year - a general check up and a detailed blood analysis

As I am close to 80 years old I pay of course attention to the data about my heart and blood circulation.

Also I follow the interesting lectures on Youtube by a cardiologist in York (UK) and here I learn about a simple BNP test 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWsnNZvW7tk

Why was in my blood analysis never any mention of such a BNP test which is an indicator of potential heart weakness : is this test not known in Thailand?

This test is not used for general screening anywhere in the world.  Nor is it used  to identify "potential heart weakness" in the general patient population.

This test measures a protein that is released by heart muscle in heart failure. It is done only when there are clinical signs of heart failure, and used to monitor progress or in some cases distinguish heart failure from other conditions producing similar symptoms.

Unless you have clinical signs of heart failure there would be no reason to do this test.

21 hours ago, Sheryl said:

This test is not used for general screening anywhere in the world.  Nor is it used  to identify "potential heart weakness" in the general patient population.

This test measures a protein that is released by heart muscle in heart failure. It is done only when there are clinical signs of heart failure, and used to monitor progress or in some cases distinguish heart failure from other conditions producing similar symptoms.

Unless you have clinical signs of heart failure there would be no reason to do this test.

Thank you...

From you explanation I understand that a BNP test is done mostly to evaluate the heart very probably after the damage is done.

I believe in preventive medicine.

I had hoped the BNP test would be something similar to the PSA test for men with a prostate condition.

Is there any test to show the status (or progress) of  blockages in the heart's arteries (it seems even an echocardiogram does not show this) or do we have no choice than to wait until a crisis develops.

23 hours ago, fvw53 said:

From you explanation I understand that a BNP test is done mostly to evaluate the heart very probably after the damage is done.

I believe in preventive medicine.

I had hoped the BNP test would be something similar to the PSA test for men with a prostate condition.

Is there any test to show the status (or progress) of  blockages in the heart's arteries (it seems even an echocardiogram does not show this) or do we have no choice than to wait until a crisis develops.

There are several

1. Exercise Stress Test - noninvasive and not very expensive. 

2. Calcium CT - more expensive and involves some radiation exposure.

The results are not as simple as "positive/negtaive" and need to be interpreted by a doctor who is familiar with the patient's overall history and clinical condition.  Neither is 100% but both are very useful in  identifying coronary artery blockage and predicting the risk of heart attack and, to a lesser extent, stroke.

Aside from these tests, blood pressure and blood lipids (triglyceride, HDL and LDL cholesterol and their ratios) are excellent measures of major risk factors for heart disease and would be part of any routine check up.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

There are several

1. Exercise Stress Test - noninvasive and not very expensive. 

2. Calcium CT - more expensive and involves some radiation exposure.

The results are not as simple as "positive/negtaive" and need to be interpreted by a doctor who is familiar with the patient's overall history and clinical condition.  Neither is 100% but both are very useful in  identifying coronary artery blockage and predicting the risk of heart attack and, to a lesser extent, stroke.

Aside from these tests, blood pressure and blood lipids (triglyceride, HDL and LDL cholesterol and their ratios) are excellent measures of major risk factors for heart disease and would be part of any routine check up.

Thank you for your always excellent information

As an addendum I note you are almost 80.

At that age, and assuming you are asymptomatic, preventive management consists solely of controlling blood pressure, weight, blood sugar (if diabetic) and lipids.

Stents and cardiac bypass in your age group would not be advised regardless of test results as the risks usually outweigh the benefits at your age.

Which means little to no pint in getting a stress test or CT calcium scan.

• Like 1