Driving License Renewals and Certificate of Residences

46 minutes ago, smiggley said:

I have just had the same experience today from the Chaiyaphum Immigration office they would not issue me with a Certificate of Residence instead they told me to get my name on my wife's house book or get a yellow book issued.

When Immigration refused the CoR I went to DLT, and they said they would only accept the CoR from immigration. Immigration then sent me to the Amphur  saying the Amphur would write me a letter. The Amphur had no intention of writing me a letter. But they told me get a yellow book.

I am single. To get a yellow book is very long - PM me for details. Fast forward last Thursday 7 weeks later I finally got a yellow book and surprisingly a pink Thai ID card. I went back to the DLT and they said the yellow book was no good. Now the office is closed.

Smiggley, difference with your situation, it was the Amphur who told me a yellow book would be OK - not the DLT but it is all so unreasonable.

Since I started this I have discovered I can renew at any DLT office. When things open up again it looks like an agency in Pattaya is the answer for me. 

I don't know why it is all so impossible, 5 years ago I used the same DLT office with a CoR from the same immigration, medical certificate. eye test, brake test, and within a couple of hours had renewed.

Someone somewhere has decided on new rules and not squared it with other offices.

As part of the yellow book I was in Bangkok. I met people complaining about having to sit through an hour's video before they could renew. Same country, different worlds.

If only there was a British organisation that could represent their people and help them through such government messed-up bureaucracy????? Like a Consul or an embassy??

I would go and speak to the DLT when it opens after The Covid shutdown.

Up until recently my local immigration didn’t offer CoR - I needed to got to the DLT, collect (and pay) for a letter, this requested my name, address and visa status. 

Then I gave it to my local immigration who dutifully obliged.  

2 hours ago, billzant said:

When Immigration refused the CoR I went to DLT, and they said they would only accept the CoR from immigration. Immigration then sent me to the Amphur  saying the Amphur would write me a letter. The Amphur had no intention of writing me a letter. But they told me get a yellow book.

I am single. To get a yellow book is very long - PM me for details. Fast forward last Thursday 7 weeks later I finally got a yellow book and surprisingly a pink Thai ID card. I went back to the DLT and they said the yellow book was no good. Now the office is closed.

Smiggley, difference with your situation, it was the Amphur who told me a yellow book would be OK - not the DLT but it is all so unreasonable.

Since I started this I have discovered I can renew at any DLT office. When things open up again it looks like an agency in Pattaya is the answer for me. 

I don't know why it is all so impossible, 5 years ago I used the same DLT office with a CoR from the same immigration, medical certificate. eye test, brake test, and within a couple of hours had renewed.

Someone somewhere has decided on new rules and not squared it with other offices.

As part of the yellow book I was in Bangkok. I met people complaining about having to sit through an hour's video before they could renew. Same country, different worlds.

If only there was a British organisation that could represent their people and help them through such government messed-up bureaucracy????? Like a Consul or an embassy??

I sympathise. I recently got my licence renewed - what a palava. Nothing would be accepted unless I got that CoR from immigration (Bangkok). I paid immigration 200 bt each for the motorbike CoR and the car CoR (surprisingly the same address! ;-)) and waited for them a week to be posted back to me. Then back to DLT where they only allow 50 foreigners a day to be processed. A lot of waiting, and a change of clothes (they don't allow shorts, even when it's 38 degrees), herded through the tests with 30 other people, and watched a strange film about not having a car accident.

My embassy does not issue affidavits for Thai bureaucracy needs, so it must be the CoR.

You are right. 5 years ago, it was much more straightforward. I get the impression that government departments are at odds with each other and are avoiding integration.

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

I would go and speak to the DLT when it opens after The Covid shutdown.

Up until recently my local immigration didn’t offer CoR - I needed to got to the DLT, collect (and pay) for a letter, this requested my name, address and visa status. 

Then I gave it to my local immigration who dutifully obliged.  

I will speak to them when they reopen but I would be surprised if the same thing happened.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mikecha said:

we did all in 2 hours 

iimmergration half hour    

go hospital checkup doctors certificate  1 hour 

back dlt  no body did test colour  test left right brake test   finished and done 

Lucky you.

1 hour ago, Jackson B said:

I sympathise. I recently got my licence renewed - what a palava. Nothing would be accepted unless I got that CoR from immigration (Bangkok). I paid immigration 200 bt each for the motorbike CoR and the car CoR (surprisingly the same address! ;-)) and waited for them a week to be posted back to me. Then back to DLT where they only allow 50 foreigners a day to be processed. A lot of waiting, and a change of clothes (they don't allow shorts, even when it's 38 degrees), herded through the tests with 30 other people, and watched a strange film about not having a car accident.

My embassy does not issue affidavits for Thai bureaucracy needs, so it must be the CoR.

You are right. 5 years ago, it was much more straightforward. I get the impression that government departments are at odds with each other and are avoiding integration.

Glad you were able to renew eventually. You got a CoR. Has anyone got their license without a CoR?

On 4/29/2021 at 8:56 AM, billzant said:

Some immigration offices are not issueing Certificate of Residences (CoR).

If a certificate of residence is required and the Immigration Office you're going to will not issue one, you can get an affirmation of residence from us https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand#affirmation-of-residency
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, British Consular Team said:
If a certificate of residence is required and the Immigration Office you're going to will not issue one, you can get an affirmation of residence from us https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand#affirmation-of-residency

Thank you for this. Given recent difficulties can I be sure that my local office will recognise affirmation of residency?

Earlier in the thread I explained that I made a yellow book including certificate of passport and translation - and a trip to Bangkok. This was because my amphur, not the local DLT, said the yellow book would suffice. It didn't. Can I know that the DLT will accept affirmation of residence? Do you have an agreement with DLT and can I show that agreement to my local DLT?

I think the lack of CoR is new to my local DLT, that is why I am unsure about the affirmation of residence. Any help in reassuring would be appreciated.

I withdraw my sarcasm:-

"If only there was a British organisation that could represent their people and help them through such government messed-up bureaucracy????? Like a Consul or an embassy??"

I did not know about this at the time. How could I have known?

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Foreigner Yellow Book or Landowner Lessee Power of Attorney ( Imm. Form) also replaces COR at DLT.

Surely Imm obligated by law to provide COR on demand. 

Entire Foreigner Registration system based on COR.  

That is what I thought until this happened.

Suddenly immigration does not have to provide a CoR - it is not many; where many Farangs live they are not stopping CoR.

In some DLTs yellow book does not replace CoR. I have been unlucky in that boith immigration and DLT are difficult.

Embassies are trying to provide alternatives (see this thread).

It is just what happens - not what centrally (website or otherwise) says will happen. And we cannot do anything about it.