Phuket Economy, Lifestyle Under Scrutiny

thaigerd

From the PHUKET GAZETTE:

Phuket economy, lifestyle under scrutiny

PHUKET: With tourism resilient and the local property and investment markets sullied by strong central government resistance to globalism, business people in Phuket find themselves at a crossroads. They wonder if the legendary Thai welcome accorded overseas tourists can continue to work its magic amid the walls against foreign land ownership. Will the walls fall? Or will they, along with the hurdles to other forms of overseas investment in Thailand, ultimately send the tourists packing?

These and other issues will be raised at what is likely to become a lively ‘town meeting’ this Friday (May 25) when the Nation Multimedia Group presents “Property & Tourism – The Drivers of the Phuket Economy”. The seminar, which is open to the general public, will be conducted in Thai with simultaneous translation into English (through headsets to be provided expatriate participants). Details of the government and private-sector panelists are available here.

Registration is at 1pm. The proceedings start at 1:30, and the floor will be open to Questions & Answers at 3:00. Entry is free of charge, but seating is limited and is in high demand. Bookings are recommended. To ensure a seat, contact Khun Jib at the Phuket Gazette as soon as possible. Seats will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. No seats will be held after 1:20pm.

From the PHUKET GAZETTE:

Phuket economy, lifestyle under scrutiny

PHUKET: With tourism resilient and the local property and investment markets sullied by strong central government resistance to globalism, business people in Phuket find themselves at a crossroads. They wonder if the legendary Thai welcome accorded overseas tourists can continue to work its magic amid the walls against foreign land ownership. Will the walls fall? Or will they, along with the hurdles to other forms of overseas investment in Thailand, ultimately send the tourists packing?

These and other issues will be raised at what is likely to become a lively 'town meeting' this Friday (May 25) when the Nation Multimedia Group presents "Property & Tourism – The Drivers of the Phuket Economy". The seminar, which is open to the general public, will be conducted in Thai with simultaneous translation into English (through headsets to be provided expatriate participants). Details of the government and private-sector panelists are available here.

Registration is at 1pm. The proceedings start at 1:30, and the floor will be open to Questions & Answers at 3:00. Entry is free of charge, but seating is limited and is in high demand. Bookings are recommended. To ensure a seat, contact Khun Jib at the Phuket Gazette as soon as possible. Seats will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. No seats will be held after 1:20pm.

Should be interesting to see what come out it.

There seems to be enough interested parties (business) to have kicked this off.

One of the best things to come out off a meeting like this, would be for the P-Gazette, or other publication, to produce a full account of what transpired, and not cherry-pick items to suit popular public consumption for chaff. :o

Chock dii to them.

Edited by billythehat

Yes, as important an issue as this deserves comprehensive reporting. I think that many would feel, however, that the interest of the government reps is more likely to be along current government lines rather than any capitulation in respect of easing the restrictions on foreign investment and ownership (I will not be expecting any announcements to follow from Bangkok!). I am not all that supportive of easing foreign investment restrictions with all the attendant disadvantages, but it would be nice for genuine retirees to be able to buy a little plot of land for primary residential use only. No way I want to buy an apartment or lease land, but if I could own a plot of land for a house, I would buy it in a flash.

Not normally on the Thai agenda, is the issue of environmental concerns.

Will this be considered in the meeting? One would hope so.

The ever increasing burden on the infrastructure of such a small island, can

have a disasterous effect on its' fragile ecosystem.

Its not just about economics... :o

• 2 weeks later...

Well apart from acknowledging the need for planning for the environment and to address tourism safety issues, the one solid thing to come out of the meeting is that the Vice Governor has asked for a budget to build a second incinerator. Quite an achievement at this meeting of the minds :D

Well apart from acknowledging the need for planning for the environment and to address tourism safety issues, the one solid thing to come out of the meeting is that the Vice Governor has asked for a budget to build a second incinerator. Quite an achievement at this meeting of the minds :D

Yes, a 2nd incinerator would be quite an achievement, and I wish I was saying that with tongue in cheek... As long as the central government in Bangkok funds Phuket based on registered residents instead of the number of people actually living here, the local administrators have their hands tied and will always have to beg for handouts. Which is especially ludicrous considering all the tourist money from Phuket that makes its way to the rest of Thailand.

Somebody suggested this to me once upon a time and I thought they were completely loony, but now I think that Phuket residents would be a lot better off if Phuket declared itself a semi-autonomous region and then outsource Singapore to run it.

Yes, a 2nd incinerator would be quite an achievement, and I wish I was saying that with tongue in cheek... As long as the central government in Bangkok funds Phuket based on registered residents instead of the number of people actually living here, the local administrators have their hands tied and will always have to beg for handouts. Which is especially ludicrous considering all the tourist money from Phuket that makes its way to the rest of Thailand.

Somebody suggested this to me once upon a time and I thought they were completely loony, but now I think that Phuket residents would be a lot better off if Phuket declared itself a semi-autonomous region and then outsource Singapore to run it.

Yes, Singapore running it is a great idea - they could appoint Thaksin as Governor :D

Yes, Singapore running it is a great idea - they could appoint Thaksin as Governor :D

Can you imagine it? Phuket awash with Manchester City FC football shirts :D