Fishing In Chiang Mai

realthaideal

Anybody else out there a fisherman ? I used to go all the time back home but rarely go here. I want to find some places to go where the fish are wild and not stocked/ hooked over and over. You guys know, where the big ones are ! I'm ready for an adventure up to one of the local dams or a lake where all the decent sized fish haven't been caught or netted. And where a variety of species are swimming free. I've heard there's a good dam up in Mae Taeng. Anybody else been ? Anybody else wanna go ? I came back with lots of cool tackle from home this year and want to give it a try with Thai fish. What have you seen ? And you wanna drive if I go in for gas (me no have truck, only motosai) ?

As a side note I'm planning on hitting the Mae Ping for catfish soon, just for fun. But in general they seem to catch just small ones around town. Any comments ?

I am also interested to discover if there is any venue for fly fishing around CM, and what fish species can be fished for using a fly. Presumably there are no trout streams, although I know the Royal Project has been raising Rainbows high up.

I love fishing, and would be very keen on going, unfortunately i don't have a car either (only scooter) but i'd be willing to chip in for petrol/taxi/beer or whatever other expenses.

Can you please let me know if this gets organised? (Sorry, i would like to help organise this but i've been here 5 days and don't think i would be of much help).

Cheers.

As a side note I'm planning on hitting the Mae Ping for catfish soon, just for fun. But in general they seem to catch just small ones around town. Any comments ?

Behind Wat Chaimongkon on Th Charoen Prathet there are some really big ones where it backs down onto the Mae Ping, also in Wat Uhmong there are some monsters. May upset the locals if you start hauling them in though :o

CB

I've fished Bo-Sang lake a few times, had some largeish Cat fish ( 25Kgs ish, or should i say it was this long.................... :o ) It's a good starter lake and the fish fight hard, but it is very over fished and IMHO not looked after very well. You can hire tackle for 100BT and a day ticket is the same, the Beer is a resonable price to :D

Fly Fishing, Catfish, 180 degree difference.

I used to be an avid freediving Spearfisher. What I liked was the stalk, hiding in the terrain (underwater), use of camoflage- all on breathhold. The cool thing was I could literally pick out my dinner (as opposed to waiting inertly for a bite).

Used to fish for trout in the CA High Sierras mostly with spinning reels; terrain was very close and steep- impossible to fly fish which is truly an art and I bow down to the practitioners :o

Did you guys and gals read the story of the MONSTER CATFISH caught May 1, 2005 in Mekong River? Allegedly the largest freshwater fish ever caught....

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...antcatfish.html

Here's a photo for those of you too lazy to read :D

post-23786-1179940071_thumb.jpg

McG

Edited by mcgriffith

I am also interested to discover if there is any venue for fly fishing around CM, and what fish species can be fished for using a fly. Presumably there are no trout streams, although I know the Royal Project has been raising Rainbows high up.

theoretically, any fish species can be caught on fly. there are plenty of very exciting species in thailand, and with some perseverance, it should be possible. it seems that thai fish are extremely well fed, though, and all i managed in a whole year of trying was one pla-chon (made it all worthwhile-they fight like hel_l, no trout could compare...) . sadly, almost all public waters i fished were regularly netted and seemed fished out(or am i busy making excuses for my own failure here?), and fishing parks are boring, but it seems there is some interest being generated by members, and if we share info with each other ( people who dont use nets, pumps or handgrenades), it might be possible for us all to have some sport! . you are a bit far from the ocean, but did you try out your stick in the saltwater yet?-the most fun you could possibly have standing up!, and thailand is just waiting for a whole bunch of farang waving flyrods off the island beaches and reefs.....

good luck and tight lines

frikkie

Hi there. This is my first post here. I have lived here for 6 years and done a bit of fishing. Of all the predator species, Jungle Perch and Snakeheads are the most interesting to catch. They are in nearly every lake and pond around the north, but that does not mean they are easy to catch. I catch them with flies, lures and spoons.

The Jungle Perch are easier, but location and time are the key factor. The Giant Snakeheads are much harder. They are clever and will test your tackle and skills to the maximum. They are a bastard to catch on a fly, but still possible.

Agree with some posts above about Bosang. What a dump! And, as Bung Sam Ran in BKK, it is basically an over stocked aquarium, where little or no skill, above basic knowledge of bait and tackle, is required. No challenge at all!

Enclosed is a photo of our boat. Without it……there would be little success.

PlaShadow

post-46636-1179979236_thumb.jpg

Edited by PlaShadow

Ok Pla Shadow, don't just tease. I'm a hardcore fisherman from the States and I used to go out on piers, beaches and boats all the time. I wanna get my line wet out here. I need some info about where these beautiful lakes are that you get your boat out to. Are you at the dams, or even how far out of the city?

Those snakeheads are beautiful. I came back with powerbait, spinners, and spoons from the States this last trip. DO the snakeheads hit better at dawn and dusk ? And do you ever get them close to shore, as I gots no boat ??

I'm no way any kind of good angler, but I can pass on my observations regarding snakehead fishing after living on the banks of the Ping for 6 months now. I see that the locals nearly always use a small live frog as bait just on the surface, dangling from a stick wedged into the bank - often leaving a set of several overnight; plainly frogs will inhabit the reeds/plants near to the bank so that's where the snakeheads come looking for them at dusk. I've also seen guys armed with crossbows working their way along the water's edge on the lookout for these fish.

Up to you how sporting you think either of those techniques is........... but I've also had visitors using my basic rod and line to angle for them and always close in to the bank and plantlife.

Those snakeheads are beautiful. I came back with powerbait, spinners, and spoons from the States this last trip. DO the snakeheads hit better at dawn and dusk ? And do you ever get them close to shore, as I gots no boat ??

post-36525-1179989724.jpg

There is no boat big enough or plot bad enough for this snakehead fish

:o

CB

Ok Pla Shadow, don't just tease. I'm a hardcore fisherman from the States and I used to go out on piers, beaches and boats all the time. I wanna get my line wet out here. I need some info about where these beautiful lakes are that you get your boat out to. Are you at the dams, or even how far out of the city?

Hi RealThaiDeal.

There are several dams in Chiang Mai valley, such as Mae Kuang, Mae Gnat and Mae On. I would have to sadden you by saying, you have very little or no chance if you don’t have a boat.

To catch especially Giant Snakeheads in any numbers or size, you need very good equipment such as short ultra stiff rods, with Bait casters with over 5 to 1 gear ratio, 30lbs braided lines and of course the right lures.

And……. you need to be a good caster!

PlaShadow.