Advice Re Eviction

wineman

I am Englishman and married to a Thai . Actually it was a Thai village wedding, not a legal one. We have been together for about three years and “married” for 18 months.

We live in a house which I bought the company way 18 months ago. Unfortunately I have come to the end of my tether with her, hence this question which I hope someone can help me with. What steps can I legally take to remove her from my house? Lawyer? Police?.......?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am Englishman and married to a Thai . Actually it was a Thai village wedding, not a legal one. We have been together for about three years and “married” for 18 months.

We live in a house which I bought the company way 18 months ago. Unfortunately I have come to the end of my tether with her, hence this question which I hope someone can help me with. What steps can I legally take to remove her from my house? Lawyer? Police?.......?

same advice you would give anyone, very good lawyer and best of luck, but ill bet most people reading this would guess the outcome!!!

Where is the house?

If it is right next to her family, or in the same village/amphur then it might be better to accept that you are never going to enjoy the place even if you do evict her.

That aside, conflict with Thais – do it the Thai way.

Get someone (a Thai person you can both talk to) to act as an intermediary so that you can come to a settlement.

Start by seeing it her way: You married her, while this might have been jumping over the broom stick and you may not have signed at the local Amphur, I take it as a pretty sure bet that your marriage (the bit were you agreed to look after your wife) took place in front of her family and just about everyone that matters in her life.

Keep that in mind when coming to a financial settlement.

Also bear in mind the police may be unable to intervene if anything happens as this is a domestic. Also the hua-kanan of the village may the the best person to speak to. If he is also a relative, then the conclusion is very clear.

Whatever happens, be careful and don't lose your temper, ever, in this situation.

Good luck.

Where is the house?

If it is right next to her family, or in the same village/amphur then it might be better to accept that you are never going to enjoy the place even if you do evict her.

That aside, conflict with Thais – do it the Thai way.

Get someone (a Thai person you can both talk to) to act as an intermediary so that you can come to a settlement.

Start by seeing it her way: You married her, while this might have been jumping over the broom stick and you may not have signed at the local Amphur, I take it as a pretty sure bet that your marriage (the bit were you agreed to look after your wife) took place in front of her family and just about everyone that matters in her life.

Keep that in mind when coming to a financial settlement.

i agree.. well said.

even in western countries. if you live with some one as a married couple it is defined as "common law marriage"

and you have married her in a ceremony.

hence your wife has rights in your property. or your company that owns the property.

I belive that the advice above is the best one. get somone you both respect to act as an intermediary so that you can come to a settlement.

the most important thing to remeber is that you did love her and did maeey her. so be a nice person and work it out with her... not evict her.

can some one go over the positives of getting "involved" with poor thai village girl.

I had a neighbor who became a dear friend; he had married a poor Thai village girl. They lived a quite life, neither financially rich nor financially poor, they had one daughter together and a lot of friends. They were genuinely respected and liked within the community. Both always on hand when or if a favor was needed, both seemingly blessed with an even temperament and a sense of humor.

He died of cancer, after a long and painful illness. His wife always by his side, cheerful and caring, reserving the pain she herself was going through for when she looked the other way.

I knew the moment he died, I was in our back garden, I heard her low, deep sob as they parted and then her weeping, muttering last words to her husband.

Barely literate with nothing to bring to their marriage but her self; she had kept her promise, ‘in sickness and in death’.

Their daughter, now grown, graduated from a British university and is working for the same company I do. Her father used to often tell me how lucky I was, nothing it seems his daughter could not have.

Who ever had more than he had?

I think the OP should let her have the house, get himself down to Pattaya and get a new bird. Buy her land, build a house, buy motorcycle and let the sme thing happen again. I know someone who has done this, unreal innit?

Pay someone to make her go away before the situation becomes too public and too nasty. Thai's have done this in the past and when in rome...................

very amusing Stewie Griffin, and at the end of the day, everyone can contribute something to this conversation, but with suggestions like this, amusing though it is, given the illegality of your idea I cannot help but think that what you should bring to the conversation is silence :o

Pay someone to make her go away before the situation becomes too public and too nasty. Thai's have done this in the past and when in rome...................

very amusing Stewie Griffin, and at the end of the day, everyone can contribute something to this conversation, but with suggestions like this, amusing though it is, given the illegality of your idea I cannot help but think that what you should bring to the conversation is silence :o

She is a minority shareholder in the company, I have the majority. The house is in Pattaya, her village is in Nong Khai somewhere.

not only you look like an aZZhole but you have just proved you are indeed one!

edited to "clarify"

Edited by Dr. Naam

can some one go over the positives of getting "involved" with poor thai village girl.

I had a neighbor who became a dear friend; he had married a poor Thai village girl. They lived a quite life, neither financially rich nor financially poor, they had one daughter together and a lot of friends. They were genuinely respected and liked within the community. Both always on hand when or if a favor was needed, both seemingly blessed with an even temperament and a sense of humor.

He died of cancer, after a long and painful illness. His wife always by his side, cheerful and caring, reserving the pain she herself was going through for when she looked the other way.

I knew the moment he died, I was in our back garden, I heard her low, deep sob as they parted and then her weeping, muttering last words to her husband.

Barely literate with nothing to bring to their marriage but her self; she had kept her promise, ‘in sickness and in death’.

Their daughter, now grown, graduated from a British university and is working for the same company I do. Her father used to often tell me how lucky I was, nothing it seems his daughter could not have.

Who ever had more than he had?

A very sad but 'positive story, well told Guesthouse

Mark

edited to "clarify"

You bet I am, thanks for agreeing! :D

I'd rather be an azzhole than a soft cock who lets himself get ripped off and just accepts the fact that he's going to get walked all over :o

No wonder why we hear so many sotries of Farangs being ripped off by their Thai partners. If all the soft cocks out there stoped letting themselves get walked over and actually stood up for themselves, rather than just turning their back and running away, Thais wouldn't think we are all as stupid as they say we are! As long as people just walk away keep letting the Thai partner take away the house, stories like this will continue to appear on here and throughout Thailand.

My first post was ment to be a smart azzed comment, but after reading all the softcock replies that followed, I know why so many Thais think they can rip us off, and now, I don't blame them for doing so!

If you just walk away from a situation like this, there is no point in crying.

Edited by aussiestyle1983

you are not legally married, so no need for a divorce.

although i can see you having to pay out some where along the line.

i know guys who have paid out 1 and 2 million baht.

does she suspect anything, if not my advice would be say nothing and sell the house, tell her any old crap, the house is too small, you love her too much and want to buy a bigger house, etc etc.

you need to do things the thai way, conflict avoidance.

i know i will get slated for saying this, some will say it is not the manly thing to do.

you need to manipulate the situation to your advantage, or you will be taken for a ride.

you make one payment to her, and it wont be enough, she will be back for more.

i wouldnt want to stay in the house after getting rid off the girl, too easy a target.

you know the situation better than we do, regarding her background, who she listens to etc.

i dont know anything about thai law regarding companies etc for the house, what would she be entitled to?

she is after all your wife, so expect to be asked for money.

but do all you can to protect your money.

edited to "clarify"

I'd rather be an azzhole than a soft cock who lets himself get ripped off and just accepts the fact that he's going to get walked all over :o

No wonder why we hear so many sotries of Farangs being ripped off by their Thai partners. If all the soft cocks out there stoped letting themselves get walked over and actually stood up for themselves, rather than just turning their back and running away, Thais wouldn't think we are all as stupid as they say we are! As long as people just walk away keep letting the Thai partner take away the house, stories like this will continue to appear on here and throughout Thailand.

My first post was ment to be a smart azzed comment, but after reading all the softcock replies that followed, I know why so many Thais think they can rip us off, and now, I don't blame them for doing so!

F###in rite!

Dont understand why people pussy foot around thais anyway!

Edited by markr

Take her to look at an upmarket house on the pretext that you want to buy it, get her to sign the appropriate documents to enable you to sell your home .

Flog it off and give her a reasonable share of the proceeds and head for pastures new.

Once her share is gone you can expect more demands or worse.

The case of the chap at Hua Hin recently is a pointer to what can happen when marriage goes wrong and money is at stake. Poor chap ended up murdered and the wife ended up getting life along with her accomplances.

edited to "clarify"

We hear so many stories of farang being ripped off by their thai parnerts becuase these farangs look for a sympathetic shoulder, and usually we are told one version only of the facts....

For one farang ripped off there are much more who have been treated fairly and with care. Just read Guesthouse story...it worth 100 ripp offs.

The OP has not intended to just run away of the situation, and to propose something like to pay somebody to put her away for sure will complicate much more the situaton for him. An irresponsible suggestion. That's it.

If, as a majority shareholder in the company, you can grant yourself (or another company controlled by you) a usufruct or 30 year lease, do it. Then give her the house, together with it's encumbrances to your departing wife and dissolve the original company.