Are Foreigners Still Welcome Here?

Are foreigners still welcome here?  

205 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This was brought up on Thai Visa about a year ago but was not enforced when I renewed my b visa. Another poster on another thread mentioned new rules that were going to be enforced as of May this year. Is this what he was talking about ?

This does not take into account all of the most recent changes. The "O" visa used to be a support of a thai national (a child or wife) and you could get a visa with only 200,000 in a thai bank. then they changed it to 40,000 in a thai bank. Now they changed it to 40,000 monthly income and does not apply to children. To get a visa on the bases of having a child now the only way is to be over 50 years old.

What I worry about is the trend that both the "b" visa and "o" visa changes are showing. Many changes do not make sense.

Yes, that what I was talking about, this regulation is being enforced now, have been informed by immigration accordingly. I too, worry about the changes on "b" and "o" visas much more than the visa on arrival issue. Originally, Visa changes were claimed necessary by Toxin government to get rid of "undesirable's" who stay permanently here on a 30 day stamp and the immigration had just recommended to apply for the proper visa. This is fair enough I think, passports weren't really checked at these "visa run borders". Forcing foreigners to apply at embassies also did make sense to me as they had a chance to check criminal records there, this is well appreciated by most in this community I believe. But now it seems that the policy has either failed to be understood by the immigration or a new agenda is on the way.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just reading at the Bangkok Post the following:

"Washington considered Bangkok's leaning toward Beijing, especially during the Thaksin Shinawatra administration, somewhat irritating. The Joint Strategic Plan of Action will concern the US even more," said Mr Panithan."

Could that be connected to this discussion?

Just reading at the Bangkok Post the following:

"Washington considered Bangkok's leaning toward Beijing, especially during the Thaksin Shinawatra administration, somewhat irritating. The Joint Strategic Plan of Action will concern the US even more," said Mr Panithan."

Could that be connected to this discussion?

JR Texas: From the poll, it looks like about 7 out of 10 do not feel welcome in LOS. As an aside, on my last trip to China I felt welcome, starting with immigration onward..........not one problem with any of the people........very kind......very smart.......not one attempt to cheat me........no problems at all with visas (all clear and easy and inexpensive). Thailand has a lot to learn.

Thanks for all the votes and posts here so far, I have really appreciated every one of them. The way I read the results so far is: approx. 33% still feel as welcomed here in Thailand as before after the changes, 33% feel less welcomed since the visa regulations had been changed and 33% of the voters are actually upset. From the people who are upset roughly 2 out of 3 have not prepared a "plan b" and have to stick with whatever might happen whereas 1 out of 3 is planning to move on to another country. In my opinion it is possible that things can change with the next government as some of these regulation seems to have an impact on the economy as well, but it is sure better to prepare for a "plan b", means for me not investing all my funds inside Thailand anymore.