Foodbyphone

correct

I'll stick with foodbyphone ... any company that manipulates the checkout price over the menu price aint gonna get my business.

I hate to break it to you, but Food By phone charges about 30% over the in-house menu price anyway...

But yeah, for lazy evenings where you cant be ar$ed to cook, Food By Phone is the only way forward!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hate to break it to you, but Food By phone charges about 30% over the in-house menu price anyway...

Yes everyone knows that. Thats how they make their money. But at least Foodbyphone they are honest in their prices displayed on the website and catalogue not like chefxp.com who try screw you at the checkout page if you are not careful.

A company that refuses to say where the office is, Who the owner is etc. has gotta be dodgy combined with the above scam.

hate to break it to you, but Food By phone charges about 30% over the in-house menu price anyway...

Yes everyone knows that. Thats how they make their money. But at least Foodbyphone they are honest in their prices displayed on the website and catalogue not like chefxp.com who try screw you at the checkout page if you are not careful.

A company that refuses to say where the office is, Who the owner is etc. has gotta be dodgy combined with the above scam.

:o Funny, the company displays its address on the website

Every food delivery company IN THE WORLD makes money from the DISCOUNTS they get from every restaurant. Its more than enough to operate a food delivery business. There's no need to mark-up prices by 40, 50 or 100% . . . which hole have you been in?

A 'dodgy scam' is not what I call a company with so many INTERNATIONAL restaurants involved. (And the owner of ChefsXP is a well-respected Thai Citizen)

**abusive flame removed**

Foodbyphone is a rip off. They mark-up prices by doubling the prices of food they deliver and then add 80 baht for delivery. Apart from this, they try to sell you 'VIP membership' cards. Ha!!! Even after discounting their prices, they are still overcharging. Anywhere else around the world you'll find food deliveries but, excuse me for saying, Thailand is meant to be cheap in terms of 'cost of living'.

ChefsXP.com on the otherhand, eventhough a new comer, has got their act together!! Great service at the BEST PRICES. Their bestsite is the best I've seen!!!

I just don't get how a service which uses the same type of motobikes, same restaurant, etc. . . can be ripping ppl off left right and center. . .

how can you compare the two?

do chefs xp have the great catalogue? the website is crap and cannot be compared, come on you get what you pay for and FBP fits the need in my book.

You dont eat the website!!!!

Chefxpress in my opinion is far better. Standard 60baht charge wherever you are.

The prices are FAR cheaper

And they have a far better choice, and all the prices are the same as the restaurants NOT marked up as in FBP

Please. . . whatever you do, don't eat the catalog!!!

Food from every restaurants are made by the restaurants. The role of the delivery company is to deliver- logistics.

A company that claims to DELIVER 'Great Food' but marks-up the restaurant price by up to 149% is what you call a RESELLER. . .

Delivery companies in Thailand uses thai riders and the usual motobikes. All packaging are the same. Made by the same supplier. The roads are also the same with the same cops standing on the corner. . . but if you can say that other delivery company uses a 'flying-bike' that doesn't have to go through the usual traffic lights then I will gladly pay the extra baht

When you order in, do you really eat the menu; catalog; website; box; packaging or do you eat the food made by the restaurant you order from????

Every restaurant owner knows 'the other company' is a rip-off . . . thats why ChefsXP has more restaurants. . . and INTERNATIONAL ones too!!!

adam, 3 out of your 4 posts so far have been about the wonderfulness of ChefsXP and the evil doings of Foodbyphone...in a free market a company can charge whatever they want as long as people find it worthwhile to pay, OK?

I have and will pay extra for a service that allows me to use AMEX for payment, runs a bug-free website and can bring me other necessities for a couch-potato lifestyle like batteries and DVDs...ChefsXP has undeniable merit, but there is really no need for all this ripoff talk. Any business should establish itself based on how IT is good, not how the competition is bad!

edit: check out the benefits of Foodbyphone VIP membership, you will notice that they also give you vouchers which you can use in the restaurants themselves, many of which are VERY generous - 50% off for 4 people and happy-hour booze pricing sounds pretty good to me!

I've started using ChefsXP and found no such problems. I'd rather get my food delivered honestly. Ppl have been ripped off for too long.

Free market allows for competitors, at the end of the day- its the market that gets the better deal. There's no problem when there are comparisons!! Thats the beauty of the internet. There are numerous websites that compare prices.

Rip-offs should be HIGHLIGHTED. Since when does doubling the price of an item from retail price (retail meaning restaurant price) constitute fairness for the buyer?? Thats why they are rip-offers!!!

You might expect to pay 5-10% difference on prices of delivered food (to make up for packaging etc. . ) but what constitutes double price? We're not necessarily talking about the difference between a Mercedes-Benz and a Hyndai here. . . . we're talking about a logistics business.. . . the business of picking food up from the restaurant and delivering to customers . . . rt?

(They also accept ALL major credit cards including your beloved AMEX. No problem with the website/checkout too)

Maybe if you give it a go, you'll find out and see for yourself.

**unnecessary flame removed**

:o

**unproven libellous allegations removed--sbk***

I am pretty sure ChefsXP.com will reimburse you for any mistakes (if any).

I've even got a free dessert cos the one I ordered wasn't available from the restaurant. It goes to show how committed they are with customer satisfaction.

Try getting a claim or reimbursement from the other company!!! (don't forget to get reimbursements for the double price they have been charging you over the years too)

I am pretty sure ChefsXP.com will reimburse you for any mistakes (if any).

I've even got a free dessert cos the one I ordered wasn't available from the restaurant. It goes to show how committed they are with customer satisfaction.

Try getting a claim or reimbursement from the other company!!! (don't forget to get reimbursements for the double price they have been charging you over the years too)

When Food By Phone's computer was down on one occasion, causing non-arrival of my order, they were VERY quick to offer me a free voucher for a meal, which arrived in my mailbox the very next day.

Who's ripping who off here. Lets just look at CHEFXP.com for a moment. Below is taken from exact chefxp.com website are they hoping customers dont check the checkout price......

Bourbon Street:

1 Backed Rack Of Lamb 550 baht

1 Australian Lamb Chops 540 baht

Delivery 60 baht

I am no whizz with a calculator but total price from chefxp.com should be 1150 baht if I am not mistaken.

Ok put that exact order into chefxp.com and then look at your checkout basket the price total including delivery is: 1690 Baht.

So they are overcharging by 540 baht to the prices they list on the website. I would be VERY wary of using this company, Another thing that makes me suspicious is they do not state who the owner is, the manager, the office location - They even claim that they dont want to say on the website.

I'll stick with foodbyphone ... any company that manipulates the checkout price over the menu price aint gonna get my business. By the way Foodbyphone is a lot cheaper for the above two items taking into account the RIPOFF checkout scam at chefxp.com

Enjoy...

I don't think anyone has explained away this anomally yet . . . . .

I don't think anyone has explained away this anomally yet . . . . .

The anomally is that the price of one of the items is doubled when added to the shopping cart, clearly a mistake on chefxp's side, but not some grand conspiracy by them to rip their customers off. I checked many items, and made an order myself, and none of them had the same effect. If you find more that do that, feel free to let them know via email, they may send you some freebies or give you some discounts.

I did start a similar service back home, and only charged 3 - 5% per order, and a small fee for the fax of the order to the restaurant. There was no fee to the customer, only the restaurant was charged. BUT, the restaurants delivered the food, we only took the orders, so these services deserve to charge more since they are in the delivery business, not just the order taking business.

I don't want to start ragging on either site, but I think FPB should work on their pricing if they don't want to see their customers moving to chefxp. There is no reason to argue with those that love FPB and refuse to use chefxp though. Does Amazon always have the cheapest prices? No, but people will continue to use them for other reasons.

BTW, my food from chefxp did come the other night, just as the gf was dialing McD's number (thank god they came!).

I've ordered from FBP for the past 4+ years and have always been happy with their service. I ordered from ChefsXP.com last week to give it a try and was very impressed with their service as well. Something I REALLY like is the online "Live Chat" with someone @ ChefsXP. My order was a few mins late and I figured I'd give the online chat a try. Was answered immediately and told that the driver was almost @ my home (coming from a restaurant across town). The ChefsXP delivery person spoke English pretty well, as the FBP delivery people usually do.

[this is who owns ChefsXP]

The company is managed by Sorot Chamlongsupalak who graduated from Dover College, Kent, England and Assumption University (ABAC). His previous work includes National Sales Manager of Foremost Friesland (Thailand); Marketing Director of Riche Monde (Thailand); Marketing Director of RJ Reynolds (RJR Nabisco); Sales & Marketing Director of Reemstma International (Davidoff). . . he has previously lived and has 'first hand' experience in such diverse countries as London-England, California-USA, Jeddah-Saudi Arabia and maintains close connections with business associates in the respective countries

[Taken from the chefsXP.com website - about us]

Added to that should also be his running of RoomService here a few years ago.

I remember that service had a very glossy magazine like catalogue and the motorbike delivery guys wearing the uniforms.

I guess after that venture he has figured the way to do well in this business is based on price.

If you check the old Roomservice website it leads directly to http://www.chefsxp.com

Going back I seem to remember an even older service called World Cafe or something like that, didn't last long. Anybody else remeber it?

Cheers

Edit to fix quotes

Edited by percy2

Kinda funny to have a 8 month old thread brought to the front by an attack in a mode usually reserved for passionate football fans against their hated cross city rivals.

FBP is a well run business that serves what is probably a rather small customer base (in a city of some 10 million). To have a competitor come on the scene can only make it better for the customers and may drive FBP to adjust their pricing policy in order to compete at that level. For me, pricing is not really an issue, I just want the food fast and hot. Haven’t tried the new one, not sure I will bother as it is so easy to use the FBP website to order and has I am too lazy to go out and get my own food, I am probably too lazy to go through another setup and confirmation.

I do worry that that has there have been several other attempts to serve the lazy farangs (myself included) that there is just not enough business to support 2 companies and we will lose both of them.

Decided to give Chefsxp a go today, and I have to say that the service was excellent, and very easy to order. Food was on time and hot, and 150bht cheaper than FBP. I will now use this service over Food By Phone.

Decided to give Chefsxp a go today, and I have to say that the service was excellent, and very easy to order. Food was on time and hot, and 150bht cheaper than FBP. I will now use this service over Food By Phone.

My sentiments exactly Toadie.

Up until recently I have always used FoodBy Phone. No real complaints, but I do live a bit further out, and used to get hit by 120bt surcharge :o

However, I then got an e mail from chefxpress , and the service is the same except a lot cheaper and some nicer restaurants to choose from.

I'm with you. From now on I will use Chefxpress from now on.

Foodbyphone is a rip off. They mark-up prices by doubling the prices of food they deliver and then add 80 baht for delivery. Apart from this, they try to sell you 'VIP membership' cards. Ha!!! Even after discounting their prices, they are still overcharging. Anywhere else around the world you'll find food deliveries but, excuse me for saying, Thailand is meant to be cheap in terms of 'cost of living'.

ChefsXP.com on the otherhand, eventhough a new comer, has got their act together!! Great service at the BEST PRICES. Their bestsite is the best I've seen!!!

I just don't get how a service which uses the same type of motobikes, same restaurant, etc. . . can be ripping ppl off left right and center. . .

do chefs xp have the great catalogue? the website is crap and cannot be compared, come on you get what you pay for and FBP fits the need in my book.

You dont eat the website!!!!

Chefxpress in my opinion is far better. Standard 60baht charge wherever you are.

The prices are FAR cheaper

And they have a far better choice, and all the prices are the same as the restaurants NOT marked up as in FBP

living in Sothern Thailand i am foaming at the month looking at the different food :o:D if i was in Bangkok i would go for CHEFXP over foodbyphone!! just adding my pinch of salt

I got my food for free the other night fron ChefsXP because of a computer glitch that caused my food to be about 30mins later than promised. They offered me the food for free before I even knew there was a problem and they called to check to make sure the food got there and the driver did not charge me. Food by Phone has never offered me anything after the occasional screw-up and I had to nag them over a credit they owed me a few times. Considering that and the price difference, I'll order from ChefsXP more than FBF.

I do love the amount of other stuff FBF offers though, beer, spirits, cigs and groceries. There are a few moments of sheer laziness that make this worth the cost, but I'd like it if XP would offer them too.

If two companies are offering the same service but one is much cheaper than the other then you choose the cheapest one surely?

It isn't rocket science is it ? :o

No, but it's certainly got a few people going. :D

you certainly have never used the websites if you think the food by phone one is better. it takes less than half the number of clicks to order a meal and you dont have to navigate between screens before ordering the next item with xp. but if you had used the web you would know that.

despite the insane no-markup evangelist it is a good service. it is a little cheeky to show the savings and add vat during checkout though it does explain the wack 127.25 baht style of pricing.

You aren't the Mark from FBP are you?

Cheers

Cheers

Sounds like it. Anyway, who cares what the website is like, I'm more interested in the food and there are lots of the same places on ChefsXP which are considerably cheaper than FBP.

Cheers

Sounds like it. Anyway, who cares what the website is like, I'm more interested in the food and there are lots of the same places on ChefsXP which are considerably cheaper than FBP.

I dont know why some of these guys are getting so upset. Toady

Surely having 2 companies offering the same service, means that they both have to be competitive, pricewise, which is only good news for the consumer.Maybe FBP will stop their OTT mark up on their prices, and then it gets into a price war, then discounts, then buy 1 get 1 free etc etc.

I'd still like to know how chefxpress got my e mail,.bit of industrial espionage methinks :D:D

Edited by JacknDanny