Ersatz Coffee from Acorns? Not so far. Yet, will we be making our own Mayonnaise, before long?

My Dear Friends,

Soon, the Cold Season will be upon us. How Thailand’s Three Seasons do seem to race by, as we thankfully age.

“Autumn is the perfect time to get out and gather acorns, especially after a wet year. This is an old and traditional wild food recipe, but feel free to enjoy with cream and sugar.

During the First World War, when shopping was less convenient, and when coffee beans were less plentiful, many people, and some countries, resorted to drinking Acorn Coffee, instead of Peaberry Beans from Tanzania.

If you have a supply of acorns in your Moo Baan, then here is the suggested recipe I found for excellent ersatz coffee:

1.     Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and add the acorns. Boil for 15 minutes until they turn a dark brown colour. Remove from the heat and peel the acorns then cut in half. Spread the acorns out on a baking tray and place in a warm spot for 2 days to dry out.

2.     When dried, grind the acorns in a coffee grinder until coarse then pop under the grill for 5 to 6 minutes making sure they do not burn. Remove from the heat.

3.     To drink, mix 1 teaspoon into a cup of boiling water. Allow to steep for a minute or two then strain into a clean cup and serve as you would coffee.

Fortunately, Thailand produces coffee in the mountains up north. And, in Thailand, down south, I have not seen many acorns falling from the local trees. Therefore, coffee made with real coffee beans is something that we can continue to look forward to, thankfully.

However, these days, I just feel less excited and rarely inclined to get out of the house and make the trek to the shopping mall to buy things that I might be able to substitute for, myself, using creative thinking.

For example, sometimes I like real mayonnaise even though I do not like to pay so much for it, and often cannot even find it for sale here. Maybe I will now begin making my own mayonnaise in the comfort of my house, especially for safety’s sake.

I found an excellent Mayo recipe last week which I will not post here.

If you are like me, I have no doubt that you are beginning to think of ways to become less reliant on unbridled consumerism to so unthinkingly meet many of your daily needs.  And, you are beginning to shift your focus in order to become more self-sufficient, and happier as a result of your shifted focus.

Of course, we cannot make our own light bulbs, or catch our own tuna if we live in the hills, and not by the sea. Still, I have always, in years gone by, imagined a day like today, or these days, when I could become less tied to the shopping mall.  This is a very good thing for me, and maybe also for you.

Shopping has always been stressful for me, simply because I dislike being suddenly faced with so many conflicting choices, beginning the moment I enter a superstore. In fact, the marketing-people-that-be intend the shopping experience to be stressful. When we shoppers are keyed up, then we buy more.  Shopping is a science, obviously, and too full of choices to ever be really pleasurable for me.

We are Human Beings here just reacting to the onslaught of what keeps coming our way. We share common experiences and feelings. I am sure that you feel as I in most cases, even though I rarely read about your sharing of your honest feelings.

For sure, recently, I have become far more appreciative of my friends whom I have known for years in Thailand, and for the chance to now communicate with them via the internet, even though still too seldom now, face to face.

I am speaking of what seems to be a major paradigm shift that I am presently enjoying, and one that might just be long lasting, let us hope.

Routine trips to the mall for frivolous shopping and entertainment has become just too suspenseful for me. I am better off finding more productive ways to spend my time, such as producing my own mayonnaise, and other luxuries.

Rice and flour are not luxuries, and I must continue to shop, or order for delivery.

Exercise is an absolute necessity, but I need no gym or fancy equipment. I have concrete steps outside to climb up and down. Or, I have thought about just using two plastic pails, filled with rocks, and a bamboo pole.

I can still maintain my friendships using video conferencing, and I have found that, now that I am more conscientious about maintaining friendships, I seem to have more friends.

I have all of the books that I could wish for, and more than I will be able to read in my lifetime.

And so, what I really need is just resilience and perseverance, and the will to make my own mayonnaise.

Doubtless, things these days are the same for you. You have easily adjusted to this new paradigm shift, and you are accommodating and remediating and feeling, somewhat oddly, happier.  I hope that this is the case, at least.

Regards,

Globulin

Note:  Let us never underestimate the quality of resilience and ingenuity. Let’s teach resilience to the next generation, as well.

Remediation of cracks in the system is a never-ending part of being alive today in our Modern World.

Note2:  Thank you to the men and women who continue to work, and continue to keep services humming along well.  And, thank you to the two girls who just carried two very heavy 20-liter water bottles from their truck into my kitchen. Great people! I am grateful!

Stay hydrated, Folks!

Proper hydration reduces stress and promotes good health.

Drink what you like…..but…..

H2O is suggested.

Note3:  I have never seen a squirrel in Thailand drink real coffee. Acorn Coffee might be good for squirrels.  Coffee is made from a berry. I have heard of purple berries, but I never found out what they might be.

Remember, the best is yet to come, which always proves to be the case. Be patient, and you shall see…  Regards, Globulin

eastern-fox-squirrel-sciurus-niger-holding-cold-coffee-drinking-cup-EH8NK2.jpg.29b62707fa2e3f7c9a5fe19a95aa3426.jpg

The teaching of the quality of "resilience" to our next generation of young people is a quality that may help them to live better lives during the next few decades to come.

Perhaps, these years we are now enjoying which are not typical, presents us with an excellent opportunity to instruct our next generation in the important skills which might help children to become more resilient. Just a thought, for which making one's own mayonnaise might be somewhat of a metaphor.