Sawzall

Kanada

I’m looking for a reciprocating saw or perhaps a Sawzall is a more familiar name!

Gardening and pruning at this point however like most tools once you own one the work comes!

Not particularly heavy work so I think the battery is one of the more important parts and the blades (which are a separate item!)!

Looking for middle of the road both saw and price….I’ve looked around and many of our local merchants don’t carry them.
Any advice that would save me aggravation and money would be appreciated ????

• Like 1

I purchased a Milwaukee reciprocating saw in Chiang Mai to do some heavy trimming of trees and it worked a treat. One I bought was a cased option and came with a spare battery. I paid around 8,000 baht but there are cheaper options on lazada for 5-6,000 baht.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/12v-milwaukee-fuel-chz-0-i261653904-s402716576.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.279a5e58IcyV4T&search=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why not just buy a bow saw ,for your average garden tree it will do ,to get the best from them change blade's  regularly a 24-inch blade is about 100 baht.

A shop near me has a pair of ratchet lopping shears ,they can chop though some fair stuff selling for 750 baht .  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mahseer said:

I purchased a Milwaukee reciprocating saw in Chiang Mai to do some heavy trimming of trees and it worked a treat. One I bought was a cased option and came with a spare battery. I paid around 8,000 baht but there are cheaper options on lazada for 5-6,000 baht.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/12v-milwaukee-fuel-chz-0-i261653904-s402716576.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.279a5e58IcyV4T&search=1

I’m totally unsure of what specs I should be looking for before I buy!

Did you do any research?

The one you got was more expensive….just wondering why? Is yours more Heavy Duty somehow?

Maybe it was the extra battery that would certainly cost a little more…I think that would be worthwhile tho’!

Milwaukee does seem to be a popular name with these saws….but don’t know why?

Bosch is another name that comes up often I see

1 hour ago, kickstart said:

Why not just buy a bow saw ,for your average garden tree it will do ,to get the best from them change blade's  regularly a 24-inch blade is about 100 baht.

A shop near me has a pair of ratchet lopping shears ,they can chop though some fair stuff selling for 750 baht .  

Because I want a multi purpose tool down the road if the need comes up 

I have more than 20 different types of trees and Bow saws don’t work well on some soft chewy woods….I have one!

Just for example I have 100 plus bamboo to thin out and cut down close to the ground!

Also want something to cut roots right in the dirt and Sawzall with the right blade will do that for me as well as PVC pipe and metal etc etc!

Edited by Kanada
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Kanada said:

Did you do any research?

The one you got was more expensive….just wondering why? Is yours more Heavy Duty somehow?

Maybe it was the extra battery that would certainly cost a little more…I think that would be worthwhile tho’!

Mine is 18v which a more robust tool plus Milwaukee put out a quality product which you pay for. I've cut tree trunks to 30cm diameter with it no problem but for just pruning you could get away with 12v which would save you some but 18v gives you a tool for most jobs.

Makita is another popular brand here worth looking at.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kanada said:

Did you do any research?

A reciprocating saw is a type of machine-powered saw in which the cutting action is achieved through a push-and-pull ("reciprocating") motion of the blade. The name Sawzall is often used and is an example of a generic trademark. This name is from Milwaukee Electric Tool, who first produced a tool of this type in 1951, and in the United States, it is ubiquitously, colloquially applied to tools of this type.

Milwaukee, Bosch, Hilti, Metabo and Makita are worth investigating. 

• Like 2

Just to add that Sawzall is more elongated in design and typically requires 2 hands to safely use whereas the product I linked is more compact and can easily be used with one hand and more suited around the garden unless your lopping redwoods.

17 minutes ago, Mahseer said:

Just to add that Sawzall is more elongated in design and typically requires 2 hands to safely use whereas the product I linked is more compact and can easily be used with one hand and more suited around the garden unless your lopping redwoods.

I’ve been keeping an eye out but we don’t seem to have any Redwoods????

I do have a lot of bamboo which has clumped in huge four huge bunches (not spreading variety) and gone all crooked etc. so I’ll be cutting that all down and our trees are pretty big with lower branches 6”s thru or so!

I’m old but I’m big and strong so I’ll probably go with a heavier 18 volt saw….overkill is much preferred to underkill!

almost seems like I need two saws OR maybe a battery powered chain saw!!!

ps: how are your batteries lasting??

Edited by Kanada

A reciprocating saw, Saber saw is just great.  If you can get one with an oscillating action as this will greatly increase the efficacy (borrowing from vaccine comments) and well worth the extra money.  I always had Hitatchi but Makita would be good too.  Milwaukie are popular but very pricy.   I just looked o Lazada and there is an  INGCO brand saw, battery and corded.  Not costly and the brand is OK. These 24 volt batteries with a brand name on them cost a lot.  But I have a brush cutter 24V and the batteries seem to be generic and pretty cheap.  Check in the shop if they will fit.  You could also consider a generator and corded tools.  I just bought a little Polo inverter type for about 14,000 baht.  Lightweight, powerful and works great.  Saber saw blades are really pricey and don't work after you stick them into dirt.  Get your Thai neighbor to dig up the roots of your bamboo.  Also consider a circular say blade (2 or 300) baht for your gas powered brush cutter and is perfect for bamboo and small trees.  Better than a saber saw, I think.

• Like 1

18v certainly recommended. Pretty sure you'll only need the one tool if you are willing to pay the 6,000baht or so for a quality product.

Regarding batteries duration obviously depends on the load but for the 30cm trees I cut I used 2 full batteries but recharge is pretty swift (60-90mins) so no big deal but second battery should be considered.

**If you order online be careful as some tools are sold minus the battery so better to buy locally to ensure compatibility.

• Thanks 1

BTW.  Be aware.  A saber saw is a powerful tool.  It is not some toy electric screwdriver.  When you are using it be careful.  Not only about cutting off your thumb or something.  If the blade is pinched all the power going to the blade quickly transfers to your hand/arm and jerks it with the same power.  If your fingers are exposed to, say, a branch or a bit of a cement wall or whatever they could be badly scraped or crushed.  Or you could be thrown off balance and fall off a ladder.  All those pictures illustrating smiling people trimming trees with one hand are misleading.  This is a tool that must be treated with respect.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, notrub said:

BTW.  Be aware.  A saber saw is a powerful tool.  It is not some toy electric screwdriver.  When you are using it be careful.  Not only about cutting off your thumb or something.  If the blade is pinched all the power going to the blade quickly transfers to your hand/arm and jerks it with the same power.  If your fingers are exposed to, say, a branch or a bit of a cement wall or whatever they could be badly scraped or crushed.  Or you could be thrown off balance and fall off a ladder.  All those pictures illustrating smiling people trimming trees with one hand are misleading.  This is a tool that must be treated with respect.

I’ve used a number of these saws in my life …..so I’m aware…just never had to buy one personally! ????

59 minutes ago, Mahseer said:

18v certainly recommended. Pretty sure you'll only need the one tool if you are willing to pay the 6,000baht or so for a quality product.

Regarding batteries duration obviously depends on the load but for the 30cm trees I cut I used 2 full batteries but recharge is pretty swift (60-90mins) so no big deal but second battery should be considered.

**If you order online be careful as some tools are sold minus the battery so better to buy locally to ensure compatibility.

Yes….agreed on all points

When it comes to tools I wouldn’t buy on line!! I like to buy locally if I can and also somewhere that has a service centre…even if it’s a small one…“I’d rather be a big fish in a small pond” if I have service issues!!

Took me awhile to realize the best deal is seldom the cheapest purchase price????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, notrub said:

A reciprocating saw, Saber saw is just great.  If you can get one with an oscillating action as this will greatly increase the efficacy (borrowing from vaccine comments) and well worth the extra money.  I always had Hitatchi but Makita would be good too.  Milwaukie are popular but very pricy.   I just looked o Lazada and there is an  INGCO brand saw, battery and corded.  Not costly and the brand is OK. These 24 volt batteries with a brand name on them cost a lot.  But I have a brush cutter 24V and the batteries seem to be generic and pretty cheap.  Check in the shop if they will fit.  You could also consider a generator and corded tools.  I just bought a little Polo inverter type for about 14,000 baht.  Lightweight, powerful and works great.  Saber saw blades are really pricey and don't work after you stick them into dirt.  Get your Thai neighbor to dig up the roots of your bamboo.  Also consider a circular say blade (2 or 300) baht for your gas powered brush cutter and is perfect for bamboo and small trees.  Better than a saber saw, I think.

Some good ideas I hadn’t thought of …re: electric with a small generator!

Batteries have come a long way so think I’m ready to make that change!

cords always frustrated me but…

14 hours ago, Kanada said:

Because I want a multi purpose tool down the road if the need comes up 

I have more than 20 different types of trees and Bow saws don’t work well on some soft chewy woods….I have one!

Just for example I have 100 plus bamboo to thin out and cut down close to the ground!

Also want something to cut roots right in the dirt and Sawzall with the right blade will do that for me as well as PVC pipe and metal etc etc!

You clearly know the versatility of these tools down to cutting roots down in holes and cut through metal great.

This is a nice looking tool. The balance looks like it would be good using one handed and looks like a two hand grip would be very solid. Not cheap 8,680 with 5AH battery and charger. The picture shows 18v battery which apparently can be used. 5AH will last nicely but it's good to have a 2nd battery if you're doing a lot of work and don't want to wait for a battery to recharge.

https://shopee.co.th/DeWALT-DCS367B

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, notrub said:

... I always had Hitatchi but Makita would be good too.  ...

Hitachi is good.  They sold off the power tool business to Koki Holdings, a Japanese firm.  They are now sold as Metabo HPT (was Hitachi Power Tools).  I guess they also bought the German firm, Metabo. 

image.png.b5fb69bd4bd1b9845ad4dd69b4c1d372.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, notrub said:

And what about the danger to the poor trees.  As a tree surgeon, people talking about crude pruning with sawzalls and bow saws makes me cringe. I realize that most people think of trees and property and not as living things.  Demolition is one thing, but if anyone cares, there are best managment practices for pruning. Chose a sharp tri-cut blade pruning saw and cut just outside the branch collar, to promote wound closure and to minimize damage and fungal infection. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, drtreelove said:

And what about the danger to the poor trees.  As a tree surgeon, people talking about crude pruning with sawzalls and bow saws makes me cringe. I realize that most people think of trees and property and not as living things.  Demolition is one thing, but if anyone cares, there are best managment practices for pruning. Chose a sharp tri-cut blade pruning saw and cut just outside the branch collar, to promote wound closure and to minimize damage and fungal infection. 

or cut them off at ground level, drill holes in the stump and fill with sump oil.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, drtreelove said:

Here we go!!…a tree surgeon? 

I think you look under landscapers in the book ????

Edited by Kanada

13 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

or cut them off at ground level, drill holes in the stump and fill with sump oil.

That’s what I do with tree stumps too only I fill the 3/4 “x 4-6”s deep holes with glyphosate (the main chemical in RoundUp which I think is unavailable in Thailand now) 

Its the fastest and allows you to plant close by without issues!

Works really well to get rid of banana stumps as well…quik and no smell!

2 hours ago, Kanada said:

Here we go!!…a tree surgeon? 

I think you look under landscapers in the book ????

16 hours ago, drtreelove said:

Dr T knows more about trees and soil then we will ever know.

Looking at these  posts why not just buy a chainsaw ,a half decent one can be got for about  5000 baht.

For our bamboo I cut it with a very sharp axe then use the lopping shears to trim  it all up, not difficult.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kickstart said:

Dr T knows more about trees and soil then we will ever know.

Looking at these  posts why not just buy a chainsaw ,a half decent one can be got for about  5000 baht.

For our bamboo I cut it with a very sharp axe then use the lopping shears to trim  it all up, not difficult.

***I’m looking for a reciprocating saw or perhaps a Sawzall is a more familiar name!

Gardening and pruning at this point however like most tools once you own one the work comes!***

as mentioned in my post…. I’m looking for a reciprocating saw….!!!

I don’t want a chainsaw or advice from a tree surgeon (?)….I have a bow saw etc etc. and I have several 100 good sized bamboo and won’t be “thinning them out with an axe”!

Thanks to those of you who read my original post and gave me the information I need on “reciprocating saws”…it’s appreciated! Better to be armed with “good information” before you go shopping around no matter where you are????????

Im off to ChiangMai tomorrow to make a purchase

cheers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kanada said:

Im off to ChiangMai tomorrow to make a purchase

Be sure to get a large capacity battery(s) 4-5AH

I cut out a stand of large bamboo with a sawzall and it drains a small battery rapidly. At least two batteries is recommended. Look for a brand of saw that makes other cordless tools like a drill or grinder that uses the same batteries.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KeeTua said:

Be sure to get a large capacity battery(s) 4-5AH

I cut out a stand of large bamboo with a sawzall and it drains a small battery rapidly. At least two batteries is recommended. Look for a brand of saw that makes other cordless tools like a drill or grinder that uses the same batteries.

That’s a great idea!!

• 1 month later...