Left Luggage Lockers In Stations?

j0j0

Are there any self-service left luggage lockers in the skytrain/underground/any other stations?

I am going to be in Bangkok doing research for my dissertation, and will have my laptop and other equipment with me. I'm on a tight budget, and I'll be staying in inexpensive accommodation. I don't want to leave my expensive things in my room.

I'll probably only need my computer once every few days, but for a few hours each time. I had thought about just using internet cafes, but I really need my own computer. So, I thought I could leave it in a locker in the station if it is only going to cost a few baht.

Does anyone know which stations (if any) offer this service? I am willing to choose the area I base myself in by the availability of cheap and secure left luggage facilities!

or does anyone have a better suggestion?

thanks

I'm sorry but AKAIK you're right out of luck for a luggage storage facility.

Get a couple of 4Gig handydrives. Easily enough to keep user specific software & data, & choose a reputable (read established & more expensive) internet cafe / cpu shop to do your work.

Cheers,

Soundman.

Darn. The only other option is lug the thing around everywhere... no thanks! How much are internet cafes likely to charge per hour? I'll be transcribing interviews mainly, so I'll need the computer for a while each time.

thanks for the help, soundman.

I was able to leave my bags for a few days at the Bus depot. The have a place by the bathrooms that will check in your baggage and give you a claim ticket. I did not cost much but I dont think I would leave a laptop there. GOOD LUCK

no, I wouldn't hand it in to a person-operated one. I was thinking more of the self service kind, you know, like a gym locker type thing, that you feed money into. I think I'll just have to leave it behind and spend the money on internet cafes instead. far from ideal, but I'd rather than than have it stolen!

there are no western style lockers/self ANYwhre in thaild.

ALl train+bus stations have manned left luggage points, usual cost is like 15/20 bt/day. as above:: they take no responsablity, and ther have been, isolated/not that many, reorts of theft.

Also; the REAL cheap guesthss do NOT do room service (you can ask to change sheets yourself if you want to), and most have ''latches'' where you can put on your OWN padlock. In fact reports of theft tend to come more from medium class Farangman+thai lady rooms (the really cheap guesthss dont allow thai company in).Perhaps this may take some of your fear away. The average Thaivisa poster tends to gruff at these places even before reading the question proper.

And having laptops is not that uncommon/anymore, i often see them using them in normal citybuses.

The webshop I NOW sit charges a measly 10 bt/hr (in fact 1 bt/per 6 mins started) and some even have slightly lower prices. Around that lowbudget cheap guesthse walhalla of KhaoSarn, the usual charge is 20/30 bt/hr. 20 bt/hr seems to be the normal anywhere in thai price.

Expect NOISY game playing schoolkids in tipical Thai webshops with low prices.

also webshops will NOT let you plug in (or even have that yet) USBsticks or old-style disks

Are there any self-service left luggage lockers in the skytrain/underground/any other stations?

I am going to be in Bangkok doing research for my dissertation, and will have my laptop and other equipment with me. I'm on a tight budget, and I'll be staying in inexpensive accommodation. I don't want to leave my expensive things in my room.

I'll probably only need my computer once every few days, but for a few hours each time. I had thought about just using internet cafes, but I really need my own computer. So, I thought I could leave it in a locker in the station if it is only going to cost a few baht.

Does anyone know which stations (if any) offer this service? I am willing to choose the area I base myself in by the availability of cheap and secure left luggage facilities!

or does anyone have a better suggestion?

thanks

What do you call inexpensive accomodation, maybe someone can suggest a safe and secure place for the budget you have if you let us know what your prepared to spend.

maybe useful to know is this

FREE left lugage is done at ALL hyper/supermarkets (youre not supposed to take anyhting in) like Robinson/TOPS, BigC, TescoLotus, all have several outlets at subway/BTS stations. its also manned and with a nrd card as ''receipt'' but noone asks for shop-receipts or bags afters, dont leave it too long though. Seems pretty safe, Ive never seen any reports re theft from there, though hide it well i would say, cheap dedicated bags are for sale in same ..markets..

What do you call inexpensive accomodation, maybe someone can suggest a safe and secure place for the budget you have if you let us know what your prepared to spend.

well, I was looking at a few guest houses in the Soi Ngam Duplii area, prices seem to run 200-300 baht per night. I really can't afford much more than that per night, I'm a student and I have minimal funding for this research. Places in my price range don't seem to have much info on the internet, so it is hard to assess what the room is actually going to be like, security wise. I'm not really tied to that area either. Anywhere with good transport links is fine. That area was appealing as it seemed a bit quieter than KSR.

So the places that you can lock up using your own locks: is this fairly safe? Surely a determined robber could just bust through the door anyway?

If internet cafes don't allow or have the facility for the use of USB devices then there is little point in me using them at all, to be honest! My boyfriend will be with me the first two weeks. Perhaps I could bring the computer, and have him take it home again with him if I think I can manage without it, or if I don't think I can leave it in my room.

thanks folks, you have been very helpful so far. If anyone has suggestions for accommodation in my price range I'd love to hear them!

I've just been looking at this place online: http://www.bangkokselfstorage.com/

it seems ideal, I just have to find out how much it costs, there are no prices on the website.

Does anyone have any experience of this company?

100 baht per week to store a suitcase, sounds like English owned as well so no problems with the language, theres also a few hostel type places off Sukhumvit Road might be worth looking into, anyone know any good ones the storage is next to Thong Lor

it seems ideal, I just have to find out how much it costs, there are no prices on the website.

Does anyone have any experience of this company?

There's an earlier discussion on this place and, as I recall, no bad experiences to report. I had bookmarked it for an upcoming trip. Perhaps a search will turn up other comments.

I've used it. They're very professional, friendly and secure. But I don't know how it would work with something you're going to keep picking up and giving back. I imagine every time you bring it back to lock it up again, you're going to be having to pay another 100 baht - plus a taxi to get there and back.

OP, why don't you just buy a Kensington lock for your laptop, secure it to some immovable (or hard to move) object in the room, and a padlock for the outside door. I'm sure you'll be safe. I travel all over Thailand with expensive gear - not just a laptop - and sometimes stay in cheap accommodation and I've never had any problem. I just do what I can to make sure my stuff is secure. It's one of the risks of travelling with equipment that it might get stolen. I try not to be paranoid about it. One important thing is to have a backup of your most important data on a USB flash drive, a CD or DVD, or on a server. If your equipment DOES get stolen, it would be MUCH worse if your work is also gone.

I actually emailed the company, explaining that I needed access etc and they said it was fine. I was quoted 100 baht per week for a bag, and they seemed fine with me picking it up and leaving it back. Even if i have to pay an extra 100 baht every time I leave it back in, I would still be happy enough to pay it. Small price to pay, frankly, even with the taxi journeys added in.

i will of course still have everything double/triple backed up as well. I know it *probably* would be fine locked up in a room, I'd just rather have the extra security, especially as I will only need it a few times a week.