Travelling with Red Plates

I'm aware that there have always been certain restrictions with driving with red plates, like use after 18.00 and driving out of the province, but it's been some years since I've had them.

Picked up a new car in Hua Hin yesterday and was advised about the 18.00 rule but was also told that we could drive anywhere for up to 30 days, though the car wouldn't be fully registered until after then.

We told the dealer that we wanted to drive to Bangkok on day 28, onto Pattaya on day 32, returning to Hua Hin on day 35, and asked what our options were, that met with a deer in the headlights stare.

Does anybody have any experience of this, gratful for any advice.

TJ  

10 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

What is the point of red plates, other than to show off a new car? 

They are supposed to serve as tempory plates while your paperwork for permanent plates is being processed. But why they simply don't use a paper temp like other countries is a question. Because here using red plates for as long as one can is viewed as a status symbol and you'll see expensive cars using the same red plates for months and months to pretend their car is brand new.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, LennyW said:

If the car is on legitimate red plates then you should also have received a brown book that corresponds to those plates, you are supposed to fill that in if you are leaving/entering different provinces. 

That's certainly what we had when we got a new car quite a few years ago, we were advised to enter the details of any inter provincial trips in pencil.

The book with this car corresponds to the red plates, has the details of the previous plate holders, but doesn't have the section to fill in any trip details as our previous book had.

I read somewhere that the police target red cars as they're often a good catch.  

1 hour ago, LennyW said:

If the car is on legitimate red plates then you should also have received a brown book that corresponds to those plates, you are supposed to fill that in if you are leaving/entering different provinces. 

When you get your real plates then you hand the book and the red plates back.

Exactly my experience last Dec, received a brown book to log any out of province travel, was replaced with a blue book and the red plates about 2 months later.

Never got stopped during this period so can’t comment on how the police react to this but as it was the second time receiving the brown book can assume it is normal practice.

15 minutes ago, seedy said:

Part of my buying experience was emphatically telling the dealer that I will not wait for him to pay the tax and get my blue book.

5 working days later I picked it up.

So you waited 5 days then ?

• Confused 1

We are in Khon Kaen.

We got a new car would be two months next week, We still have not got our permanent plates. We drive everywhere , and at any time of the day, We never had a problem.

My brother in law got a new Toyota Pick up truck about 4 months ago, He never even got the red plates, he simply drove without plates, which I found surpassing, He never had a problem LOL. TIT. 

• Like 1

Red plates are to be used until the registration is done, and you are given the book and plates.

The legal time limit for the use of red plates is 30 days, after that the BiB can give you a ticket. If the 30 days has arrived and still no book or plates, you go to the LTO with your paperwork and tell them. They will look into it and give you a police waiver paper.

The law states about driving after 6 pm, plus filling in the brown book, but the BiB are lazy about that kind of stuff, but if you have an altercation on the road where they are involved, you may have a problem.

• Like 2

It is not difficult for your wife to sort out the registration herself. However in these times best to let the dealer go and queue at the LTO.

As Seedy said the dealer can do it quite quickly but he doesn't want to due to financial considerations. Maybe get your wife to ask the dealer to speed things up.

Ignore comments about not filling in the Brown Book as odds are you will be unlucky. Use a pencil and then you can easily and quickly update details.

I have never been pulled up for driving after dark but have been stopped and asked to see the Brown Book several times. Also paid once as forgot to complete the book before starting a journey.

The Red plate has the advantage that you will not become speeding tickets.
But up of this advantage, I think it's more a show off that you have a new car. 
In our condo was a Toyota C-HR, which had almost 2 years the red platte.

I never been stopped while driving with red plates (I had them 2 times for about 2-3 months).
But yes I also would recommend to always fill the brown book. I guess when they stop you or you are involved in an accident, then this can matter. You only have to write it with a pencil, when you like your dealer very much. As it's the dealer problem when the book is full. They have to pay for a new book.

I have a car purchased new in December 2020. Due to communication issues & the ineptitude of the dealer, I am still running on red plates. I have done 15K in this car around Thailand - and have never been questioned. I have been through many checkpoints and have had no problems.

It has normally taken about 6 to 10 weeks to get the regular plates with other cars we have purchased.

It is interesting reading this thread. I was unaware that I should be recording my trips out of the province - so never have done that. This was not explained to me by the dealer(s). I also drive after 6pm - almost daily - never had a problem.

I know people here are going to say I am lucky - what if I had an accident? etc . I think this is just another case where things are either very flexible here in Thailand , or the policing is lax.

• Like 1

I use a bike, not a car, but it's the same thing.  My understanding is that the dealer could get the plates as soon as you pay, but they don't want to go to the DLT until they have a few to do.  Also, they don't want to pay over what they consider "their" money - you handed it to them, so it's theirs, even though that part of the payment was for your registration.  ????

Well any checkpoints MAY ask for  money but to be honest i drove 6  months with a new  pick up with NO plates ( From BKK to Hua  Hin regularly)  at  all, got  stopped in BKK  at a toll  booth paid 1000 baht fine with ticket, Wife  called friend in the Thai SAS ( no  kidding) he  called them and got it  cancelled  although I did  note that someone paid 100  baht according to the ticket. Looks  like the Police cant cancel but reduced it to 100 and paid it themselves.

On 10/19/2021 at 7:45 AM, tonray said:

They are supposed to serve as tempory plates while your paperwork for permanent plates is being processed. But why they simply don't use a paper temp like other countries is a question. Because here using red plates for as long as one can is viewed as a status symbol and you'll see expensive cars using the same red plates for months and months to pretend their car is brand new.

well, there you have it... you might try a nice designer yellow shirt to go with it.. 

2 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Can't drive out of province on red plates. Must admit this is the first I have heard of a curfew as well!

14 years ago I hired a car to go down south to Bangkok, back then I had no idea about red or white plates.

It was a new Toyota, had red plates, off I went. I even drove around Bangkok at night. I now know about the legal stuff, but the hire car folk didn't give a toss...

On 10/19/2021 at 7:45 AM, tonray said:
On 10/19/2021 at 7:33 AM, Damrongsak said:

What is the point of red plates, other than to show off a new car? 

It also keeps you from getting speeding tickets in the mail.

Bought a new car 2 years ago. Car delivered to our house with new plates and the number we requested . NO Red plates, 3rd new car since being in Thailand never had Red Plates??? It's who you known  that makes the deafferents.