Providing address for UK settlement visa

Hi all,

I intend to take my wife to the UK on a settlement at some point in the next 3 years or so. I know that I need to provide proof that we have somewhere to stay when we arrive. I'll probably get this from my brother if he's still alive (74 at present)How long do we need to stay with him before finding ourselves somewhere to live? Problems - I have had a stroke, which has reduced my mobility considerably. His house is on 3 floors and we'll likely be sleeping on the top floor. At present, I cannot manage stairs but hopefully will be able to do so within the next 3 years. I'll need to rent a ground floor flay somewhere and will likely need to carry a wheelchair ramp with me. My brother's next door neighbour is a joiner so he could make this for me  I hope that vy that time the worst of covid will be behind us

Thanks,

Alan

There is no stipulation how long you need to stay with your brother we stayed 1 night

I had already sorted a place to rent and moved in there whilst we found a house to buy so within 3 months we just informed immigration where we were

Save all your mail and put some bills into both names to make sure you get the second 30 months

On 11/1/2021 at 2:27 PM, wobblyjohn said:

There is no stipulation how long you need to stay with your brother we stayed 1 night

I had already sorted a place to rent and moved in there whilst we found a house to buy so within 3 months we just informed immigration where we were

Save all your mail and put some bills into both names to make sure you get the second 30 months

Thanks for that advice. I'll need to find somewhere furnished to rent. I'll put my current account into both names and take out separate mobile phone contracts. Would letters from my brother or friends  addressed to both of us inviting us for a meal or drinks be acceptable? Depending on where we move to, the rental contract may have to be in my sole name. can council tax, electric and gas bills be in joint names or one name only?

Thanks,

Alan

8 hours ago, fifelad55 said:

Thanks for that advice. I'll need to find somewhere furnished to rent. I'll put my current account into both names and take out separate mobile phone contracts. Would letters from my brother or friends  addressed to both of us inviting us for a meal or drinks be acceptable? Depending on where we move to, the rental contract may have to be in my sole name. can council tax, electric and gas bills be in joint names or one name only?

Thanks,

Alan

The letter from your brother and friends would not be acceptable. Needs to be 3 sources so bank account is ok. Council Tax can be in joint names as I did that. I also used water bill as gas/electric company wouldn’t do joint names. Get 3 sources sorted straightaway and keep 6 items spread over the 30 months of the visa.

15 hours ago, bigyin said:

The letter from your brother and friends would not be acceptable. Needs to be 3 sources so bank account is ok. Council Tax can be in joint names as I did that. I also used water bill as gas/electric company wouldn’t do joint names. Get 3 sources sorted straightaway and keep 6 items spread over the 30 months of the visa.

Thanks,

I'll bear that in mind when I can get to the UK. Due to a stroke, I may require medically assisted transport by a scheduled flight. Hopefully that can be arranged with only a few days notice

Alan