Little Dangly Things...

ZEAK

What is up with the little dangly things that I see hanging under the rear bumpers of the cars and trucks in CM? It is a little stuffed animal most of the time, all covered in road grime and dirt. Just wonder why someone would spend the time, and the effort, to find something "sutible", and then get down on all fours to attach it under their vehicle. Then I am amazed that I am seeing more and more of them. :o

I asked my wife about this not long ago, because I was wondering what this fad was all about as well. She wasn't sure, but thought that people were copying something they saw in a recent popular movie or TV series from Japan. Any other theories out there?

I've also been mystified by these. I see so many of them around town, mostly little stuffed animals dangling several inches above the road surface. None of my Thai friends have been able to offer an explanation but are pretty sure that its just a fad and not related to any superstition. Wonder if its a local phenomenon in this area or countrywide?

I find them a distraction when on the bike, as I try to make out what the hel_l it is I forget about the road and others for a few seconds. Not a good habit to get into. Neither is looking at pretty girls while on the bike, one of the reasons why the roads of CM are such a hazard! Just too much scenery. :o

Here's the short and dirty explanation.

In Japan, young teeny girls largely drive the cool pop culture.

Middle aged salarymen have these (same) little toy dolls dangling off their phones.

It's something intrinsic to Japanese popular culture, and the Thais have adopted it.

:o

Someone else posted a thread on this recently, and one of the replies said it was something to do with letting others know they have children in the car. (Although i recon a bumper sticker is a more visable and sensible option)

Personally I go along with the idea thats its just some kind of trend.

Someone else posted a thread on this recently, and one of the replies said it was something to do with letting others know they have children in the car. (Although i recon a bumper sticker is a more visable and sensible option)

Personally I go along with the idea thats its just some kind of trend.

It's in the Chiang Rai forum.

• 3 weeks later...
Its a way of letting others know the driver is single - just like the 'sot' t-shirts of a coupla years ago.

Anothere theory I heard was about dogs, as stated above.

But now its mostly just copy-cat fashion hunters.

here is the official reason.

now dont get caught with one under your car - its illegal. <deleted>. Couldnt they do more about the 100s of other traffic infringements first :o:D

Menace of the dangling dolls

The Chiang Mai Transport Office will crack down on the recent trend of drivers hanging cute dolls underneath their vehicles or from their exhaust pipes by fining offenders up to Bt2,000 from July 1, though some motorists feel the authorities would do better to focus on other traffic violations.

In Bangkok, meanwhile, the Metropolitan Police are checking to see whether the practice runs counter to any existing laws - possibly the law prohibiting the installation of unauthorised items on vehicles, which is punishable with a fine of up to Bt1,000.

Chiang Mai Transport chief Chanchai Kilapaeng said yesterday that hanging dolls underneath vehicles - done in the belief that any evil spirits on the road will possess the dolls instead of harming the drivers - might cause road accidents and was against the law.

He said his office would continue campaigning for people to stop this practice until next Saturday, after which it would take tougher action by imposing fines. Fines will also be levied on vehicles carrying Japanese registration plates or wrong-sized plates, he added.

However, Chiang Mai Police deputy commander Colonel Chamnan Ruadrew said the provincial transport office had not contacted him about the matter but, if they did, he would look into which laws the hanging dolls violated.

No drivers have been arrested for hanging dolls so far, he said. Motorist Sanchakorn Trachu, 24, said the transport office's action was against an individual's rights and he did not believe doll-hanging caused accidents.

"Hanging cute dolls reduces motorists' stress," he said, warning that if arrests were made over this, local youngsters might protest.

Another Chiang Mai motorist, Natthanan Wongleukiart, 24, voiced a similar view and urged the authority to do something more productive, such as cracking down on cars playing loud music and drivers using mobile phones or dodging vehicle tax.

The Nation

CHIANG MAI

Edited by Donnyboy

Its a way of letting others know the driver is single - just like the 'sot' t-shirts of a coupla years ago.

Anothere theory I heard was about dogs, as stated above.

But now its mostly just copy-cat fashion hunters.

here is the official reason.

now dont get caught with one under your car - its illegal. <deleted>. Couldnt they do more about the 100s of other traffic infringements first :o:D

Menace of the dangling dolls

The Chiang Mai Transport Office will crack down on the recent trend of drivers hanging cute dolls underneath their vehicles or from their exhaust pipes by fining offenders up to Bt2,000 from July 1, though some motorists feel the authorities would do better to focus on other traffic violations.

In Bangkok, meanwhile, the Metropolitan Police are checking to see whether the practice runs counter to any existing laws - possibly the law prohibiting the installation of unauthorised items on vehicles, which is punishable with a fine of up to Bt1,000.

Chiang Mai Transport chief Chanchai Kilapaeng said yesterday that hanging dolls underneath vehicles - done in the belief that any evil spirits on the road will possess the dolls instead of harming the drivers - might cause road accidents and was against the law.

He said his office would continue campaigning for people to stop this practice until next Saturday, after which it would take tougher action by imposing fines. Fines will also be levied on vehicles carrying Japanese registration plates or wrong-sized plates, he added.

However, Chiang Mai Police deputy commander Colonel Chamnan Ruadrew said the provincial transport office had not contacted him about the matter but, if they did, he would look into which laws the hanging dolls violated.

No drivers have been arrested for hanging dolls so far, he said. Motorist Sanchakorn Trachu, 24, said the transport office's action was against an individual's rights and he did not believe doll-hanging caused accidents.

"Hanging cute dolls reduces motorists' stress," he said, warning that if arrests were made over this, local youngsters might protest.

Another Chiang Mai motorist, Natthanan Wongleukiart, 24, voiced a similar view and urged the authority to do something more productive, such as cracking down on cars playing loud music and drivers using mobile phones or dodging vehicle tax.

The Nation

CHIANG MAI

phew ! finally . thanks DB.

OK, so they made them illegal. Another fine they can add on to the no helmet , no license fines. But how are they going to catch them ; they set up one of those police check points and they can't see anything hanging from the vehicle , until the vehicle goes past. What are they going to do, chase the car down the street! Don't tell me they will set up road blocks where every car has to stop to check for a dangly toy!

The Nation

CHIANG MAI

Or perhaps concentrate on what has to be 75% of the population who don't know how to drive? :o

I know TIT, but I find myself constantly astounded at the complete inability that most Thai drivers have when in charge of a vehicle!

Myself, I've adapted my driving to suit the "climate", but I don't think it can carry on as it is. Someone needs to do something.

Why not get the cops out there randomnly (to save on fulltime cops), and stop people without helmets (Everyone, near enough!). Take their bike, and don't give it back till a fine is paid. Or some other method.

I am sure that Honda, Suzuki, Maybe even JRD, but for sure Yamaha, would support a national safety campaign, and provide helmets (Perhaps bearing advertising).

I cringe when I see little kids without helmets on these bikes doing stupid moves, but from time to time I see Farangs with kids - WITH NO HELMETS (Blonde woman in Pai, been there a long time - whoever you are - you should know better!)

Then you have the undertakers, the idiots who pull out at 2 kmph! Etc, etc,

Bah! Not much gets my blood boiling here, but the driving sure does! :D

Phil

The Nation

CHIANG MAI

Or perhaps concentrate on what has to be 75% of the population who don't know how to drive? :D

I know TIT, but I find myself constantly astounded at the complete inability that most Thai drivers have when in charge of a vehicle!

Myself, I've adapted my driving to suit the "climate", but I don't think it can carry on as it is. Someone needs to do something.

Why not get the cops out there randomnly (to save on fulltime cops), and stop people without helmets (Everyone, near enough!). Take their bike, and don't give it back till a fine is paid. Or some other method.

I am sure that Honda, Suzuki, Maybe even JRD, but for sure Yamaha, would support a national safety campaign, and provide helmets (Perhaps bearing advertising).

I cringe when I see little kids without helmets on these bikes doing stupid moves, but from time to time I see Farangs with kids - WITH NO HELMETS (Blonde woman in Pai, been there a long time - whoever you are - you should know better!)

Then you have the undertakers, the idiots who pull out at 2 kmph! Etc, etc,

Bah! Not much gets my blood boiling here, but the driving sure does! :D

Phil

yeah I know what you mean. It really comes down to the thai attitude "maybpen rai" and the added dangly stuff and charms- they think that nothing bad ever gonna happen.

admittedly, my blood used to boil when I first started driving here, but after a few years, Ive delveloped a jai yen yen as I cant control other peoples driving habits however bad, so I sit back wait a few seconds after the lights go green then proceed with caution.

Peoples driving habits wont change until the cops take serious action by hitting them where it hurts- fines

the driving back in Auckland NZ used to be bad, in that no one rearly let you in their lane without at least 6-10 sec of indication use if youre lucky. And everyone tends to drive very close together so they dont let anyone else in! :o at least here they let you in, and you can even turn from the very furtherest side of the rd to where youre going without too much fuss!! :D

I like it here!