Language Schools In Chiang Mai

nattergal

om currently living in bkk. been here on and off for 2 years now. my thai is ok compared to the majority of expats here. at least i have been told so. im doing an intensive course now, but will move to chiang mai next year for doing business there.

i know the language up north are different. but i dont know how different?

can anyone recomend a school there. and even better has anyone did a course there with good experiences.

thanks all.

have a nice day.

the soon to be chiang mai citizen.

btw im 28 years old and looking to play some football there. if anyone knows about some soccer teams in chiang mai i would be glad to get some info!

thanks

In business, almost everybody speaks Central Thai up here, although they might speak Kam Muang amongst themselves. If you wish to continue studying language, you would be far better served by continuing your Thai studies, rather than trying to learn the local dialect. The exception would be if your business will be taking you well up country for the majority of your time. However you will then have hill tribe languages to contend with.

I have lived here for more years than I care to think about and very seldom have to use Kam Muang, although I understand 95% + of it and speak it okay. I normally use it simply to raise a laugh or smile from a pretty girl.

At home my maids are from the Lua hill tribe. They speak several hill tribe languages, Kam Muang and Central Thai.

Despite living with me for something like ten years, I still do not understand their Lua language, which I'm afraid to my ears sounds something like the preparation for a projectile vomiting session. I can't make the sounds without undergoing a fit of coughing.

om currently living in bkk. been here on and off for 2 years now. my thai is ok compared to the majority of expats here. at least i have been told so. im doing an intensive course now, but will move to chiang mai next year for doing business there.

i know the language up north are different. but i dont know how different?

can anyone recomend a school there. and even better has anyone did a course there with good experiences.

thanks all.

have a nice day.

the soon to be chiang mai citizen.

btw im 28 years old and looking to play some football there. if anyone knows about some soccer teams in chiang mai i would be glad to get some info!

thanks

So who told you your ability with the Thai language is okay compared to the majority of ex-pats? Was it Noi at the Cathouse in Nana Plaza? She said the same thing to me. Unfaithful little *****!!

There are a number of schools in Chiang Mai that teach english. Perhaps you could enrol in one of them. :o

Edited by Blinky Bill

Payap university provides a pretty good course. Various levels and durations.

(As a side note does anyone know if payap is the only UNI in CM that offers the one year Thai lang course? I am considering an education visa, but payap is so far out of town and i use puplic transport so works out a bit expensive for everyday..)

Try AUA. I know people who have done year courses there.

I thought they provided 60-hour courses. But I'm sure there are enough levels that you could study for a year. However, I don't think AUA would provide the sponsor paperwork for a multi-entry non-immED.

I don't like AUA - course books and teaching methodology from 1959. It didn't suit me.

thanks

There's the farangutans based in the UN Irish pub. Speak to Sandy (short bloke with red hair), Warren (tall bloke) or Lee (tall bloke with red hair!). They play local Thai teams.