Car Hire Question

Chelseafan

I am looking to rent a car from Suvarnabhumi Airport. On arrival, I will be whisked away to a local hotel for the 1 day quarantine.

This may be a silly question but I assume I can go back to the airport the following day to pick up the hire car from 2nd floor ?

7 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Of course you can. However, give this some thought. What happens if your Covid test comes back positive? That might also seem to be a silly question but has happened.

Thanks.

Yes, that has crossed my mind but got to assume I'll be OK. Can always cancel the reservation

Do what everyone else does... overpay for a taxi at the airport...I'm just kidding, well not kidding about the over priced airport  taxis, just don't use them.  You can use social media perhaps  FB type in Bangkok, taxi, and have contact or phone numbers on arrival, or instant  message them.  There is also the Bolt app.  Down load that on your phone and when you arrive you can hail them much cheaper,  and I mean bottom line cheap very fair.  Bolt is what most people use now as its often real taxi being bolt drivers.  I been here two years using them and its better than paying the extortion  prices.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, WEBBYB808 said:

Do what everyone else does... overpay for a taxi at the airport...I'm just kidding, well not kidding about the over priced airport  taxis, just don't use them.  You can use social media perhaps  FB type in Bangkok, taxi, and have contact or phone numbers on arrival, or instant  message them.  There is also the Bolt app.  Down load that on your phone and when you arrive you can hail them much cheaper,  and I mean bottom line cheap very fair.  Bolt is what most people use now as its often real taxi being bolt drivers.  I been here two years using them and its better than paying the extortion  prices.

Bolt adds a premium if you select suvarnabhumi airport as pickup location, making the airport taxis (taxi meter + 50THB extra which go to the airport) actually cheaper.

But other than that your post is wrong, it's also off topic.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

Bolt adds a premium if you select suvarnabhumi airport as pickup location, making the airport taxis (taxi meter + 50THB extra which go to the airport) actually cheaper.

But other than that your post is wrong, it's also off topic.

Yes, This being Thailand and all, I was more worried that due to Covid controls the authorities wouldn't let me in without a flight ticket.

On 11/14/2021 at 7:55 PM, Chelseafan said:

This may be a silly question but I assume I can go back to the airport the following day to pick up the hire car from 2nd floor ?

Why do you have to go back to the airport? The big rental companies usually deliver to you if within their travel limit (around 30 km) and even if they don't, they'd have a city branch where you can get the car

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

Why do you have to go back to the airport? The big rental companies usually deliver to you if within their travel limit (around 30 km) and even if they don't, they'd have a city branch where you can get the car

Tried that before, they arrived 2 hours late. As with most things in Thailand, I find its just better to do it yourself rather than rely on other peoples tardiness. Also my hotel is only a few miles from the airport.

Edited by Chelseafan

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

Or wait until your at the 1 night hotel.

Ask the hotel is they can arrange a rental car at reasonable cost,

or, call the rentals companies and tell them you want the car delivered to your hotel.

On 11/14/2021 at 8:52 PM, WEBBYB808 said:

Do what everyone else does... overpay for a taxi at the airport...I'm just kidding, well not kidding about the over priced airport  taxis ... I been here two years using them and its better than paying the extortion  prices.

Stop posting false information as an all-encompassing generality. 

Taxis from the official rank at the airport are all metered at exactly the same rates as everywhere else in Bangkok...plus the B50 (?) official booking fee.   I've been here 27 years and have never had a metered Bangkok taxi with anything other than proper meter rates.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 11/16/2021 at 3:07 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Taxis from the official rank at the airport are all metered at exactly the same rates as everywhere else in Bangkok...plus the B50 (?) official booking fee.   I've been here 27 years and have never had a metered Bangkok taxi with anything other than proper meter rates.

Lol.  No its not.  Go see for yourself,  or better yet ask someone  who just arrived.  2500

They dont use a meter to go from province  to province.  You seem to be the one misleading the masses.  I myself were charged this price from airport  to Pattaya, so theres truth in my words

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, WEBBYB808 said:

Expand  

They dont use a meter to go from province  to province.  You seem to be the one misleading the masses.  I myself were charged this price from airport  to Pattaya, so theres truth in my words

Yes, there's may be a little truth in your claim but the vast majority of passengers do not travel inter-province using airport taxis!   Taxis from the official taxi stand at the airport have to use their meters, if they don't want to, you do not have to take that taxi and can report it to the staff at the stand.  That is fact and is not "misleading" anyone.

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, there's may be a little truth in your claim but the vast majority of passengers do not travel inter-province using airport taxis!   Taxis from the official taxi stand at the airport have to use their meters, if they don't want to, you do not have to take that taxi and can report it to the staff at the stand.  That is fact and is not "misleading" anyone.

Many people get off the plane without a sim, or local app to get a proper taxi, and are at the mercy of the airport  monopoly of taxi/ limousine service  that are exploiting  the situation. 

• Confused 1

Just now, WEBBYB808 said:

Many people get off the plane without a sim, or local app to get a proper taxi, and are at the mercy of the airport  monopoly of taxi/ limousine service  that are exploiting  the situation. 

Garbage.   There is an official, well-signposted 'proper taxi' rank at the airport for arrivals that does not require a SIM, app or phone, at all!   That taxi "monopoly", to use your word, is the sort of "monopoly" that should be celebrated because, for a B50 official fee, from the official stand all taxis have to use meters.   If the driver says he won't use the meter there are hundreds of others in the queue that will.   If they don't and they are reported, they are banned from using the airport.   

The limousine service is not "exploiting the situation", the limousine service is a passive service there for people who approach its desk, the limousine service does not tout for passengers.