Ford Ranger 2.2 XLT Automatic reliability?

dagling

Has been offered to buy a 2017 model from an acquaintance, the car has all services and has around 40,000 km.

I myself have never owned a Ford in my entire life, but I would like to hear from you who own / have owned a similar car in Thailand.
How is the quality and reliability of these cars, and what about the service at Ford Thailand?

The 6 speed automatic is tried and tested and reliable. The 2.2 liter diesel as well. Shouldn't have much issues with it. The service by the dealer kind of depends ont he dealer. No real standard, it's kind of a hit or miss.

• Thanks 1

Quite a lot of Fords in our village older ones too not only the 2•2 models owed by family they never get any problems and are happy with them. 

There's a good Ford dealership in Sukhothai so that a good start. 

I've driven one myself and find them OK and I like the newer design. 

There's plenty of write ups and reviews on Utube so drive it and decide for yourself.

I bought a Ranger XLT brand new five years ago exactly in 2016, 2.2l, but mine's a manual 4x4 model.

116,000k on the clock now.

Anyways, only thing other than oil changes and a set of tires (and one accident that put her out of commission for 3 months due to waiting on a new steering rack), the only problem I've had is the pipe connecting intercooler to the intake manifold started leaking slightly.   Scared you-know-whatless at the time as I thought it was the turbo going bad.   I do drive her pretty hard.   Local ford small shop fixed it in 20 minutes, 900 baht including the part which he drove to Ford and got himself 3km away.

Still has original brakes, and they have meat on them!   But I tend to downshift, as one does with a manual, that probably helps brake life and something I wouldn't recommend often in an automatic transmission.  Clutch original despite loads of traffic, but you'd have to be a pretty terrible driver to ruin a clutch in 116k km.

Services at Ford dealership are very dear.   5,000+ baht if you do what they recommend every time.  Local oil change shop probably better, but I wanted full records while I had a loan so it could be sold easily if I had to leave Thailand.

I would not own an automatic transmission with diesel personally, but I have other friends with this truck and automatic and they have not had problems. (yet)

Edited by n8sail