Autothrottle

Crossy

OK chaps.

I'm sure someone can point me at a nice cheap (free) application to do what I want.

I have:-

Laptop PC, WinXP Pro, wireless

Desktop PC, WinXP Pro

Skype server (just runs Skype and my video player) W2k

File/Web/P2P server W2k

I'm using the QoS function of my router to prioritise my limited bandwidth between the computers, desktop and laptop get top priority, then the Skype server, then the File/Web/P2P box. This arrangement seems to work, in that the File/Web/P2P box gets throttled when I use my desktop for some heavy FTP transfers but at other times belts along using all of my massive 512k download pipe :o

NOW. I want to prioritise how the File/Web/P2P applications use the avaliable bandwidth ie:-

1. VNC
  2. FTP server
  3. Apache web server
  4. PeerWeb
  5. BitSpirit

So that if nothing else needs Web access then BitSpirit gets all that's available, but if I want to VNC to the machine it will get network priority over the other applications and throttles them accordingly.

Anyone got any recommended applications that they've used successfully, as previously noted, I'm not averse to paying for an application that does what I want. :D

Edited by Crossy

QOS tagging, TS profiles and Network compression are getting into some really advance network applications. If you still want to go down that road (from personal experience it can be a long one) then here are a few pointers:

1. QOS first. Set the QOS of your network first based on your actual traffic profile not your desired profile.

2. Traffic shape at layer 3 to the profile that you wish to achieve.

3. Use DPI technology to target protocols that are not QOS friendly.

Explanation.

1.By setting QOS tags for your actual traffic profile you will make sure that when you place restrictions on bandwidth the quality of service for critical applications is not reduced. From what you say you have been shaping on QOS, while this can be achieved it is not really the best/most efficient methods.

2.By restricting/shaping at layer 3 the bandwidth you effectively profile the traffic. During burst periods the QOS tagging can still take over and you will not lose quality.

3. Deep packet inspection will allow you to target non standard applications like some of those listed above.

Options:

1. Easy way but expensive - buy suitable hardware, VLANs and QOS tagging - this is where most of my experience lies.

2. Buy software; lesser performance, may need a server of its own, not as expensive. I have personally never used tis on a network but I have asked around at the following app appears to be good. http://bandwidthcontroller.com/

3. Free/share ware; cheap solution, may not get the options you are looking for, probably have to install software on the client side. Again I asked around about this one but the only responses I got were negative or laughter. I guess if its only for a home network you could go this route but.....