360 degree camera worth it?

ilikethai

Hello again.  I'm waiting for my Mux 2021 4x4 3.0 without diff lock which I don't care since I watched and tried the Rough Terrain Mode and concluded it worked and less maintenance.  The mux has a back parking camera but I'm worried about not getting a birds eye view camera.  I could install an after market camera system but it won't be neat as from Isuzu if they ever put it as standard.  The Pajero Sport, Fortuner, Terra all have 360 cam.   Is 360 camera that helpful?  Am I missing out?  but then the Mux has that killer price and features that balance things out.

I have one on my MG HS-TurboX, and It comes in handy.  it is integrated into the infotainment system and when I stop the screen pops on and shows the front of the car versus the rear of what I am stopped behind, shows the sides and then a view from the top down giving a 360 degree view of the car and the surrounding vehicles.  I like it.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

What do you do with the 360 camera? I mean you're driving looking out the front while scanning the rear mirrors. What am I missing?

when you're parking, you can see if you're lined up, some only offer top down view, some you can rotate a virtual car to see any angle 

when pulling out of blind corner with tall wall, some let you see left and right from the front bumper where position from the windscreen would be blocked

11 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

What do you do with the 360 camera? I mean you're driving looking out the front while scanning the rear mirrors. What am I missing?

You never know, when an accident will happen and from where the "opponent" will come from. And if both parties claim that it is the others fault, then a 360 degree view will help determine the cause of the accident. 

Imagine: You alone in the card, driving through a 4-way intersection. A car crashes in your side, 4 people in that car swear that you were speeding and you refused their right of way... standard front/back cams will not help, it is 4 against 1, so a 360 degree view will come in very handy to determine the truth.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, digbeth said:

when you're parking, you can see if you're lined up, some only offer top down view, some you can rotate a virtual car to see any angle 

when pulling out of blind corner with tall wall, some let you see left and right from the front bumper where position from the windscreen would be blocked

I get what you're saying, just think it's too much. Bad things can happen when you have your focus is on a screen instead of looking out. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Denim said:

We have something similar. It is set up on the back seat.

It is the MIL mark 1 that I got free when I married. Although incapable of driving it gives all the info you could want , completely unsolicited , like if you are going too fast or are too close to something. Fortunately it has a sleep mode otherwise it would never be installed again.

Ah you have one of those items that will one day move into Grandma mode and cover themselves up and hibernate in the back seat becoming nothing more than an inanimate object in the vehicle.....lol

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Ah you have one of those items that will one day move into Grandma mode and cover themselves up and hibernate in the back seat becoming nothing more than an inanimate object in the vehicle.....lol

Quite probably. Won't bother getting new batteries for it though. If in the car hibernate mode is fine. Then I'll just fall back on my eyes and ears and be wary of all other road users.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Denim said:

Quite probably. Won't bother getting new batteries for it though. If in the car hibernate mode is fine. Then I'll just fall back on my eyes and ears and be wary of all other road users.

However, you will then have what's called God Mode as the wife hovers around the car watching the kids and the roadway doing what her mother did before, it is a no win situation I am afraid dear sir.  Just be thankful that the MIL does not throw her hand across your chest as you stop acting like an automatic safety belt......

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Denim said:

Then I'll just fall back on my eyes and ears and be wary of all other road users.

All of these electronic gadgets - lane departure, following too close ...

You are supposed to be paying attention to the road when you drive.

Many examples where these 'improvements' caused accidents - like slamming on the brakes for no good reason.

Or Electric Jesus - Tesla - autopilot can not see stationary vehicles - like police cars, ambulance.

They should be outlawed in my view

• Like 1

6 hours ago, seedy said:

All of these electronic gadgets - lane departure, following too close ...

You are supposed to be paying attention to the road when you drive.

Many examples where these 'improvements' caused accidents - like slamming on the brakes for no good reason.

Or Electric Jesus - Tesla - autopilot can not see stationary vehicles - like police cars, ambulance.

They should be outlawed in my view

I'm with you on that, 

Ok I tested out the 360 camera on the Nissan Terra.  Here's the thing its high tech, the video is ok but not clear, it can help but not necessary and worth it.  The only camera that I use always is backup, but I just look at it for 2 seconds and end up using the side and back mirrors.  I also tested the Pajero 360 camera which has a better video feed but af the end of the day it's the back back camera that's worth it.

On 12/8/2021 at 6:59 AM, Swiss1960 said:

You never know, when an accident will happen and from where the "opponent" will come from. And if both parties claim that it is the others fault, then a 360 degree view will help determine the cause of the accident. 

Imagine: You alone in the card, driving through a 4-way intersection. A car crashes in your side, 4 people in that car swear that you were speeding and you refused their right of way... standard front/back cams will not help, it is 4 against 1, so a 360 degree view will come in very handy to determine the truth.

I don't think the Pajero, Terra 360 camera record they only do live feed to help you navigate.  from what Ive been searching online, the real God 360 camera is in the new gen Land cruiser L300, it's 360 view plus bottom cameras.  It can help doing off road but damn I'll never be able to afford one. Lol.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2021 at 6:59 AM, Swiss1960 said:

But do those inbuilt 360 degree viewers record? I thought they were just parking assistants. 

I dn't think  360 camera is worth fitting if a car does not have one. Not sure how easily it can be done, and it would not be cheap if it could be. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. ut looking at cars at the motor show, my wife noticed the larger cup holders in the civic compared to the honda city. There's priorities for ya LOL