Water pump labels/identifications

djayz

I've been looking at water pumps for my irrigation system and have noticed the following with Honda pumps (have seen similar with other manufacturers, but I'll just use Honda here as an example): 

WL20XH is a 4.1HP pump which can pump 670l/m. But then, I also see WB20XT which can pump 600l/m and is a 4.0HP engine. Can anybody explain the difference between WL and WB and XH vs XT? To the average Joe Soap like me, they're practically the same but those codes must mean something. 

Google couldn't answer my question. 

Edited by djayz

33 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Hi djayz

You will have to look at the pump curves graph.

The different models most likely have different head pressures.

I thought about that too, but WL20XH has a head clearance of 32m and a depth of 7.5m. WB20XT has 32m and 8m. Again, to somebody like me, those numbers are practically the same so I can't imagine the need for a completely new label/tag. Maybe you're right. I just can't figure it out. 

13 hours ago, djayz said:

I thought about that too, but WL20XH has a head clearance of 32m and a depth of 7.5m. WB20XT has 32m and 8m. Again, to somebody like me, those numbers are practically the same so I can't imagine the need for a completely new label/tag. Maybe you're right. I just can't figure it out. 

Had a quick look and would say same pump fitted to both.

Depends if you want a GP or GX series engine.

GX seem to be pretty popular with reviews over the years.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

One more/last question about water pumps. If I look at the Honda WL20XH for example, the label states "Max. total head 32m". Does this mean it can pump UP to a HEIGHT of 32m (irrespective of distance) or does it mean it can pump to maximum 32m in the length/on the flat? 

IMAG1403~2.jpg

First off  6885 baht for a Honda pump and engine seem very cheap to me ,I have seen Honda engines going for 7000 baht +.

Check it is not a Chines copy .

As for head ,that should be ? the hight  the pump can pull water up from a boar. water hole, etc as it says the max ,the odd's it can reach that and still pump an useable amount of water would be slim .

But I have seen a small pump like this pull water up 20 meters  from a river without  any problems. 

5 hours ago, djayz said:

Does this mean it can pump UP to a HEIGHT of 32m (irrespective of distance)

If you put a pressure gauge on the outlet,it will be good for 3.2 bar(32 metres) before dropping its rating being a non positive displacement pump.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1