A Sad Story About A Very Elderly, Lonely, Englishman.

Mobi

richard has made a good point, but even with the good rate....it can be intimidating for housemaid to consider living and taking care of such an aged person, particularly when the language is a problem...anyhow.....hopefully we can find someone...Im starting to ask around.......and hope others would too.....

and yes richard's suggestion might be worth exploring...or perhaps even put up a sign at the temple in the area? is prakhanong area near the Wat ThatThong temple? near sukhumvit 71? that could be one place to put up the sign........

but i think mobi is not in bangkok....Mobi is there someone else who can do this? sigh should be in thai ofcourse

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know..(going by the description of him) if his disposition was kinder, friendlier and happier, he may be able to make good friends who wouId rally round to help him with some basic things..Granted he does not have much income, but still livable. I am sure he wouId have no trouble finding a helper if he was a little less hostile to be around.

I think the sad factor here, is not so much that a 70 year old man needs help, its the fact that this man is so unhappy within himseIf that he drives away people from his company and Iife.

If he could try tackle whatever makes him this cantankerous, then sureIy he would get the help he needs plus friendship.

I think there are many people in bangkok who would be willing to work for 7k a month. clean your place, cook for you, etc. I think if you want somebody part time to like hang out with you for maybe 6 hours a day, you will get many people interested.

The other thing that crossed my mind was why has UK frozen his pension?

As far as I know anybody receiving a UK state pension is entitled to the annual increases providing they continue to live in either the UK, the EU, a Commonwalth country or,I think, the US. If they choose to live outside of these countries they will continue to receive a pension but it is frozen at level it was when they moved. If that person were to choose to return to live in the UK at sometime in the future his pension is increased to the current rate and he will also receive annual increases whilst he continues to live in the UK. So anybody living in Thailand will have their pension frozen,however, if after a few years there have been significant annual increases they can return to the UK, declare they wish to live there again and get the increased payments then decide they prefere Thailand, return, and keep the current pension rate. This would have to be offset by any taxes they would then have to pay by becoming a UK resident again, so it would't be worthwhile for everybody.

richard has made a good point, but even with the good rate....it can be intimidating for housemaid to consider living and taking care of such an aged person, particularly when the language is a problem...anyhow.....hopefully we can find someone...Im starting to ask around.......and hope others would too.....

and yes richard's suggestion might be worth exploring...or perhaps even put up a sign at the temple in the area? is prakhanong area near the Wat ThatThong temple? near sukhumvit 71? that could be one place to put up the sign........

but i think mobi is not in bangkok....Mobi is there someone else who can do this? sigh should be in thai ofcourse

Regardless of this guys past, he needs taking care of, yes he may have pissed off his friends to the point where they no longer want to know him but commenting on it does not help the problem.

People like mig offering to help make this shitty world we live in just a little bit better.

Offering help to someone that you do not know is incredibly admirable!

Respect!

Mark

The other thing that crossed my mind was why has UK frozen his pension?

As far as I know anybody receiving a UK state pension is entitled to the annual increases providing they continue to live in either the UK, the EU, a Commonwalth country or,I think, the US. If they choose to live outside of these countries they will continue to receive a pension but it is frozen at level it was when they moved. If that person were to choose to return to live in the UK at sometime in the future his pension is increased to the current rate and he will also receive annual increases whilst he continues to live in the UK. So anybody living in Thailand will have their pension frozen,however, if after a few years there have been significant annual increases they can return to the UK, declare they wish to live there again and get the increased payments then decide they prefere Thailand, return, and keep the current pension rate. This would have to be offset by any taxes they would then have to pay by becoming a UK resident again, so it would't be worthwhile for everybody.

You are perfectly correct..but as I understand it wild horses would not drive him back...and he has nowhere to go in the UK either!!

eek, he's 80 not 70. I've known him for 4 years and he's not going to change, much as that would be in his best interests.

Prakanong, I don't think he has any other pension. I think he gets a bit more than 35 quid a week, but not a lot more. Maybe it was a bit later than '82.

I also don't think there's any chance of him agreeing to go back the UK. he would rather die here tomorrow.

Yes, 7000 Baht a month all found is quite good - but as Mig16 said, they will be taking on quite an onerous task.

Apart from his physical injuries (he was left lying unconscious in the road after the accident, and was eventually carried off to Chula hospital where they treated him free of charge), he also suffers from heart disease, and no doubt other geriatric illnesses.

Thank you for the suggestions for a whip round.

For now, I am really looking at something more long term. The maid would really be a great start - and whatever other ideas anyone may have?

Thank you for all the constructive advice.

Keep it coming :o

Something in this story doesn't add up... He cooks for himself and has (or used to have) the occasional happy-hour beer plus any he could scrounge. Yet he can afford to provide 'room and board' = additional utilities costs and all meals provided plus B7,000 PCM. Perhaps he is not quite as badly off as the OP thinks? The other thing that crossed my mind was why has UK frozen his pension? Could it be that for 20 years he has been avoiding all things UK for other reasons (need I spell it out)?

I think freezing of the pension is standard from UK - freezing means no increases not no pension - this apparently happens if you choose to live abroad :o

eek, he's 80 not 70. I've known him for 4 years and he's not going to change, much as that would be in his best interests.

Prakanong, I don't think he has any other pension. I think he gets a bit more than 35 quid a week, but not a lot more. Maybe it was a bit later than '82.

I also don't think there's any chance of him agreeing to go back the UK. he would rather die here tomorrow.

Yes, 7000 Baht a month all found is quite good - but as Mig16 said, they will be taking on quite an onerous task.

Apart from his physical injuries (he was left lying unconscious in the road after the accident, and was eventually carried off to Chula hospital where they treated him free of charge), he also suffers from heart disease, and no doubt other geriatric illnesses.

Thank you for the suggestions for a whip round.

For now, I am really looking at something more long term. The maid would really be a great start - and whatever other ideas anyone may have?

Thank you for all the constructive advice.

Keep it coming :o

mobi - is he actually legal here? I know that he is old, and if something happens to him next, the authorities will be put in contact with him in some way shape or form....especially if he has no one else.

It is a bit of an odd story, why do pensions get frozen?
He was a bit of a crusty old bastard, who had no topic of conversation other than how hard done by he was, and how he lost all his money to his ex wife many years ago, and how his UK pension had been frozen more than 20 years ago (which was his sole source of income) and so on.

He said he lost all his cash and his sole source of income, so for the last 20 years how has he been making money?

Good question and if he has little or no money how does he maintain his visa status??? If no money & no job/work permit, he is bye, bye unless he maybe has some sort of PR status.

I don't fault Mobi for caring, but there are so many more cases of people even more deserving of charity that this fellow, who has apparently burnt all his bridges behind him. Kids who can't afford shoes for school in Isaan, children here who are working and going to school to take care of their crippled parents, orphans-- there are hard cases here without end. Personally I would reserve my charity to those even less fortunate and who didn't have a hand in creating their own misfortune. I wonder how long it would be before he alienates any poor woman that goes to work for him?

I think there are many people in bangkok who would be willing to work for 7k a month. clean your place, cook for you, etc. I think if you want somebody part time to like hang out with you for maybe 6 hours a day, you will get many people interested.

Yes also there are many old farts like this around - they bite the hand that feeds them and eventually its only the newly met who put up with there rantings.

The several I have met eventually wear out their welcome even up here in the country (khon kaen, Udon etc) and please don;t think they are all British the list includes Oz, Swiss, Dutch and the list goes on and the ages are getting younger.

I think everyone who reads the OP's tale of woe feels for the unfortunate, then reality must kick in especially when the individual refuses to return to his place of origin where full pension rights might be reinstated.

To say the poor old fella used to manage to have a drink at happy hours is a nonsense - it's the same as smoking if you can't then don't INDULGE if you choose too then don't cry poor.

Oops, sorry.

Apologies also that i have not much to offer in the way of advice (or help).

Best of luck with this, I hope your friend finds help and happiness and appreciates your kindness.

An email composed in Thai sent to your Thai colleagues describing his plight, offering his terms, and asking for the recipient to forward the message on can provide impressive results here.

My wife receives countless chain emails of this type and very often it works out. Certainly her gang (office workers all) are very charitable and always seem to react well to these stories anyway.

Anyway it wouldn't cost anything, and I'm sure it wouldn't hurt.

And aren't stories like this perfect illustrations of why it's crazy to come to live here without adequate financial support for the long term.

In the visa section, people are complaining about the financial requirements for retirement and marriage visas increasing.

Well, here's why they are doing it people!

Why farangs chose to live on the poverty line here in Thailand when they could be caught in the social security net back home is completely beyond me.

With a narrow mind like yours there's no wonder so many things are beyond you.

Which part of that post is narrow-minded Edonista? Please tell me.

As i said before, I'm perfectly willing to help if I can. While I have no sympathy for the guy, I am empathetic to anyone suffering, even if they brought it on themselves.

So . . again, i'll repeat. I am happy to help, are you? Because the old guy's pension is frozen, why don't we in Thaivisa try to raise a certain amount monthly to pay for someone to support him properly. I personally will pledge 500 a month if we collectively can raise 10,000 monthly to support him and do it on an ongoing basis.

If Edonista would like a list of other causes this narrow-minded callous git has contributed to both financially and in terms of time in the last few months I'm more than happy to provide it in PM.

It's a very sad situation. Whatever the person's disposition it is sad for them to be in that predicament.

I think the best route might be to try some of the churches for advice. Although it seems he has somewhere to live. He must be finding it hard to make ends meet if he rents.

How about trying CSB - not that he needs counselling but I think they have experience and all the necessary contacts to maybe offer good advice

Community Services Bangkok

mobi - is he actually legal here? I know that he is old, and if something happens to him next, the authorities will be put in contact with him in some way shape or form....especially if he has no one else.

I wasn't sure, so I've just checked with one of his 'friends'.

He has a current retirement visa, which is due to be renewed very soon. He has the money in the bank to cover this but cannot touch it for obvious reasons. If he were to 'dip' into that fund for any reason he would never be able to replace it and he would be in 'shit street' as far as his legal status is concerned.

At his age and frailty, even one night in an immigration jail could kill him.

There may well come a day when he has no choice but to spend that money, but he is trying to hold off for as long as possible.

He has spent much more of his life in Thailand than England, and to him England is an alien land, where the climate would probably finish him off.

I agree there are more deserving cases than this man - and indeed the Street Kids in Pattaya spring immediately to mind.

And I didn't post this thread to get money out of anyone.

I am looking for suggestions, and more importantly a nurse/maid that may help to alleviate his immediate distress. He is a fellow countryman - a human being - who- maybe through his own fault - has found himself in distressing circumstances. I am just trying to help a bit.

And if you've nothing to contribute, please don't be nasty.

Which part of that post is narrow-minded Edonista? Please tell me.

As i said before, I'm perfectly willing to help if I can. While I have no sympathy for the guy, I am empathetic to anyone suffering, even if they brought it on themselves.

So . . again, i'll repeat. I am happy to help, are you? Because the old guy's pension is frozen, why don't we in Thaivisa try to raise a certain amount monthly to pay for someone to support him properly. I personally will pledge 500 a month if we collectively can raise 10,000 monthly to support him and do it on an ongoing basis.

If Edonista would like a list of other causes this narrow-minded callous git has contributed to both financially and in terms of time in the last few months I'm more than happy to provide it in PM.

Your mind narrowness is shown by the way you are always keen to justify the visa regulations, no matter how stupid they are.

You state that Thai Immigration has changed the rules to avoid things like these happen.

That is absolute <deleted> as the retirement visa was the only one left unchanged in the October 2006 shake up. Thai Immigration aimed to other categories, they deleted the investor visa and changed marriage visa requirements , causing the worst economic crisis this country has ever suffered.

Edited by Edonista

Thai Immigration aimed to other categories, they deleted the investor visa and changed marriage visa requirements , causing the worst economic crisis this country has ever suffered.

The worst economic crisis this country has ever suffered was over some visa changes in 2006?

Don't mean to be off topic here, but isn't that complete rubbish?

actually bkkmei reminded me of a few other posts about nannies/maids looking for work...might be worth contacting these people to see if they are still looking for work?

a philipino maid whos worked with children

an educated thai (young) looking for nanny work but has said doesnt mind doing house work

It's a very sad situation. Whatever the person's disposition it is sad for them to be in that predicament.

I think the best route might be to try some of the churches for advice. Although it seems he has somewhere to live. He must be finding it hard to make ends meet if he rents.

How about trying CSB - not that he needs counselling but I think they have experience and all the necessary contacts to maybe offer good advice

Community Services Bangkok

CSB doesnt exist anymore, since about 5 yrs, mainly thanks to the good management practises of it's last director ron silvestro. :o

Edited by orchis

58 answers in and the correct reply was the first one given. Sorry Mobi but charity begins at home,

You've hardly painted a rosey picture of this guy, so who is really going to be interested in helping him?

Maybe you shouldn't have posted this topic as it is only going to create controversy.

Don't YOU have a spare room Mobi?
Edited by Robski

Does the OP know for sure he is legal? My guess he is not given his financial status. I don't know what kind of visa he would qualify for with 7,000 bht per mo. If he's not legal, I wouldn't get to tangled up with him.

Your mind narrowness is shown by the way you are always keen to justify the visa regulations, no matter how stupid they are.

You state that Thai Immigration has changed the rules to avoid things like these happen.

That is absolute <deleted> as the retirement visa was the only one left unchanged in the October 2006 shake up. Thai Immigration aimed to other categories, they deleted the investor visa and changed marriage visa requirements , causing the worst economic crisis this country has ever suffered.

With all due respect Edonista perhaps you could enlighten us how it's 'narrow-minded' to attempt to see things from a perspective (in this case, Thai) other than our self-interested one. If that is narrow-minded, I'm a banana.

I'm afraid your last sentence is ridiculous. To boldly state that cancelling a piffling 3 million baht investor visa and increasing the amount of money a farang must have to get a marriage visa by a few hundred dollars a month has caused 'the worst economic crisit this country has suffered' is laughable for two reasons.

I'm not sure what's funniest - the idea that Thailand is currently suffering through its worst ever economic crisis or the arrogant (narrow-minded?) belief that minor changes to visa laws could cause it.

And you have the audacity to call ME narrow-minded?

I started this post with the phrase 'with all due respect'. My tongue is starting to hurt the insides of my cheek.