A Sad Story About A Very Elderly, Lonely, Englishman.

Mobi

I see the Self Righteously Callous are out in force in this thread.

While the OP is not asking for Charitable Donations for this old guy he is calling for something a little less costly but for the most part evidently lacking among ThaiVisa members – a charitable spirit.

The guys here repeating the trite ‘Charity Begins at Home’ are fooling nobody. What they do with their money is of course up to them, and once again they are not being asked for money, but for practical ideas how this old guy might be helped.

The idea of actually helping someone is such an anathema to some here that they jump in with their triumphal and self congratulatory abuse of the old guy and people who even so much as suggest helping him.

The argument that the old guy deserves help despite his grumpiness, despite he made some bad choices but because he is a human being in need of help is wasted on those who hold themselves better than this guy because they believe they will never be in such a position.

They may very well be basing this on false hopes.

As much money as you have, as financially secure you think you are and as capable of looking after yourself as you believe yourself to be. Your own old age might and very often does, remove all your financial security, independence and dignity.

Before berating the old guy for the reports of his grumpiness (only the OP seems to know him first hand), go read up a bit on the illnesses of old age. Talk to people who work with the elderly about what their experience is of the decline of people from strength of body and mind to dependence.

Then ask yourself how well prepared are you personally for this? Who’s going to be wiping your arse for you? Changing your clothes and bed sheets? Helping you in and out of bed, to dress?

If you think you have that covered, think again, who is going to be looking after your money for you when you can’t look after it yourself.

And don't go thinking you'll perceive things are going wrong for you before then, it doesn't work like that.

The lesson here in this story it to recognize that there are no welfare provisions for foreigners in Thailand.

There is also no law of Trust and power of attorney is power to rob the vulnerable blind.

Learn the lesson, the only way you keep what you have in Thailand is by constant vigilance. When you are nolonger able to be vigilant, who then is going to take care of you?

When faced with other people’s trials in life my father taught us the wisdom of ‘John Bradford’, to accept that ‘There but by the grace of God go I’.

My father died surrounded by the family that loved him and cared for him during his old age, help from the Church, the NHS. The McMillan Nurses and Welfare for him and my mother when his illness denied then both the ability to look after themselves. Oh and ah honest lawyer with laws tailored to protect his and my mother’s rights.

When you are sticking it into some old guy with your self congratulatory <deleted>, you too might think to your own old age,

You may believe you have planned for it, but you have no idea yet what it has planned for you.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you GuestHouse,

I appreciate your comments, and whole heartedly agree with what you have said.

I have tried to exercise extreme self control on this thread, as I don't wish it to degenerate into a flame fest and as a result, be closed.

I am still hopeful that something good may come out of all this.

We shall see....

[

This is a vintage Bendixian response in terms of cold heartlessness. Said coldness approaches zero degrees Kelvin. None of the characters portrayed by Charles Dickens even begin to approach your level of utter contemptness for the less-advantaged. When, dear Bendix, will the spirit of Christmas (giving, sympathy ... et al) affect your soul in some positive manner? Shame, and shame again!

Incidentally, old boy, it's not that I totally disagree with you.... It's just that you are at times rather direct in expressing your opinions -- I should think much more so than is necessary. Swat a fly with a fly-swat (or a copy of The Times), not with a backhoe! Either way that insect will die. Be discrete, old fellow! I hope you don't take umbrage at these humble words of advice.

Before damning me, why don't you read my other posts on this thread? I prefer to give practical advice, not offer faux tears for someone i've never met and - rightly or wrongly - has brought his misfortune on himself. I empathise with the old guy, but I don't sympathise because it is a misfortune which he seems to have brought on himself, as a relatively solvent western guy who has choices, unlike the vast majority of the poor in Thailand. That he doesnt want to avail himself of that choice is up to him.

Having said that I have also offered to help if I can. Again, read my posts.

If you would like to gauge the 'level of my contemptness [sic]' for the less-advantaged, perhaps you would like to talk to the kids of the school just outside Ubon for whom I recently bought six computers and a considerable amount of sporting equipment, and for whom I'm about to donate a library.

Or perhaps you'd like to talk to the steering committee of a well-known charity working for lots of underprivileged (poor, blind and handicapped) for whom I'm negotiating a 2 million baht contribution among several western oriented companies here in Bangkok.

I choose the causes I help with, and the basis I choose is that the people in those dire situations are there for NO SELF-INFLICTED reasons.

Edited by bendix

Is there any service in Thailand like a "Public Trustee" that can administer funds if your age "removes all your financial security and independence.?"

Edit: Obviously his 800000 Baht must be held but his pension might be eaten up by fees if it was administered a "Public Trustee" and besides that who would trust a PT in Thailand!

Like this...

http://www.pt.nsw.gov.au/Content+Menus/Att...Qs/default.aspx

Edited by Youbloodybeauty

I guess charity starts at home though, and how much compassion should people show for someone who has negligently put himself in this position, and who rails against everyone else.

He's not a child. He knew what he was doing. He made his own choices.

If I choose to live here and decide to quit work, blow my money and booze and women, should I expect compassion from you all when it all turns to custard.

Mobi's OP suggests this guy has fallen on hard times. Not true. He threw himself headfirst into hardtimes.

I very much agree with your post.

Before berating the old guy for the reports of his grumpiness (only the OP seems to know him first hand), go read up a bit on the illnesses of old age. Talk to people who work with the elderly about what their experience is of the decline of people from strength of body and mind to dependence.

I don't know how much this is a reaction to my point of view, but ok here I go ...

my mother has altzheimer and one of my closest friends has worked in a nursery for many years and told me some terrible stories, I also met some older people in need here and I came to the conclusion that in general they have only themselves to blame ... it's like feeling sorry for a criminal in prison, sure that must suck, but he's there for a reason ...

no doubt that Mobi has the best intention, all respect for that.

but as repeated before, it's just a question about how to help the old man ... ok, force him to do whatever it takes to fix the problem of the frozen pension.

I know that sounds harsh, but that's the only real solutions !

or don't we all have to do things from time to time we don't like ?

Uptou, I don't know the man but I know of similar cases in Pattaya.

Paradoxically, many of the same people who think nothing of paying a vet's fee of 10 kB for a scabby, ageing, grey muzzled dog wouldn't stop to help an old man in trouble.

And the the ones who seem to help most are often the same undesirable lounge lizard farangs who get a bashing on the forums.

Sad comment on humanity.

800,000 baht would be enough to get him back to the UK and set himself up in a cosy little rental, he would get his full pension and still be able to get out for a few beers at a local....He could go to a hospital on National Health where communication wouldnt be a problem if he gets sick.

It would be the most sensible thing to do....why doesnt he do it ?? because he his a stubborn old fool...He maybe doing it hard but he is not destitute. He has made his choice...He may not have any friends but on one of his trips out he could talk to people he knows such as the shops where he buys his food from and try to find a carer/housekeeper through them...But then again, they do know him and maybe thats why he is alone....chances are that anyone who took this job probably wouldnt hang around for too long.

It seems he has burnt his bridges in Thailand.

From the OP's description this man has almost no connection with Thailand other than having lived here for donkey's years--no family, no friends. He refuses to go back to his home country where he apparently could get his pension updated and benefit from government health care and the like. But we are told he refuses to consider this, and anyway the OP paints a picture of the UK that makes me wonder how the rest of the country, rich and poor, manages to stand living in such a grim and miserable place. Is it really that bad?

The OP also says he speaks Thai, yet he cannot manage to find a maid for what is a reasonable salary for a maid. That speaks volumes. If he can't find a maid it is must be because nobody wants to work for the miserable fellow. Like some others here, I feel sorry for the poor woman who gets tasked with him.

There certainly are a lot of 'holier than thou' people on the forum. If you want to lend a hand to this man, please be my guest. But you have no right to condemn those who would reserve their charity or assistance for those they consider far more deserving--for example those without any options at all, unlike this man who has funds in the bank and the option of returning to his home country.

What the hel_l is he doing in Thailand?

Why is he here? the beautiful weather? (yeah right)

The lovely clean beaches? (yeah right)

The great untouch'd forests? (yeah right)

The free and easy living? (yeah right)

The beautiful clean air? (yeah right)

Why would this guy (or anyone else for that matter) want to live permanantly in Thailand?

OH WAIT A MINUTE...IT'S THE CHEAP SEX RIGHT?

Sorry guys, I allmost forgot why you are all there.....

Carry on.....

Is there any service in Thailand like a "Public Trustee" that can administer funds if your age "removes all your financial security and independence.?"

Edit: Obviously his 800000 Baht must be held but his pension might be eaten up by fees if it was administered a "Public Trustee" and besides that who would trust a PT in Thailand!

Like this...

http://www.pt.nsw.gov.au/Content+Menus/Att...Qs/default.aspx

The odds are he doesn't have 800,000 Baht. If he has had his retirement visa for some years (he's 80) then he will be 'grandfathered' under the previous rules which call for 400,000. He might also be using his UK pension to offset some of the need for capital. He might even come under the regulations prior to the 400,000 minimum. So, his savings could be very little. We don't know.

There certainly are a lot of 'holier than thou' people on the forum. If you want to lend a hand to this man, please be my guest. But you have no right to condemn those who would reserve their charity or assistance for those they consider far more deserving--for example those without any options at all, unlike this man who has funds in the bank and the option of returning to his home country.

Qualtrough,

I agree with your sentiment that everybody has a right to an opinion, but what is in general condemnation here is the potless attacks on a cantankerous old man, no evidence of violence that appears to have crept into certain accusations, and support of a mythical maid who would be in a worse situation and living in a worse position, than accepting employment at a very reasonable wage, considering relative circumstances.

GuestHouse mentions, 'By the Grace of God go I', Philosophy, well I endorse that too statement, if guys have no constructive or helpful advice, what benefit or betterment to their or an unfortunate old man, who's present and most recent crime, and I use that term in its most liberal sense, is to be cantankerous.

Credit to you Maize, for your contribution.

Moss

What the hel_l is he doing in Thailand?

Why is he here? the beautiful weather? (yeah right)

The lovely clean beaches? (yeah right)

The great untouch'd forests? (yeah right)

The free and easy living? (yeah right)

The beautiful clean air? (yeah right)

Why would this guy (or anyone else for that matter) want to live permanantly in Thailand?

OH WAIT A MINUTE...IT'S THE CHEAP SEX RIGHT?

Sorry guys, I allmost forgot why you are all there.....

Carry on.....

( yeah right ) :o

I read all this this with increasing disbelief......

I always thought that "pompous a$$holes" would be a great name for a band.

Looks like they would have a ready audience with a lot of the members here.

We are all going to get old and its always sad and messy.

Bina and guesthouse's comments will aply to us all.

Phil.

Agree with kayo.

Yes philw. Sympathy and compassion and all that stuff are easy on a web forum arent they? Now that you've expressed your faux outrage and made yourself seem nice and friendly before you go to bed, what are your practical ideas?

Do you have anything meaningful to add which doesnt add to your sense of 'niceness'?

What does "faux" mean and to what "niceness" of mine do you refer ???

You seem a bit "sensitive".

As to anything meaningfull to add, nothing very helpful but will at least double your 1,000 baht.....................( if that's whats it's about.)

Still think "PA" is a good name for a band.

Phil

I haven't read most of this thread so pardon me if I'm revisiting old business.

Seems like this man is calling the shots in his life and is not asking for someone to make his decisions for him. Seems like he has some resources if he can pay 7,000 baht per month for a live in helper....and this is what he wants to do. My view is to just leave it at that. If he can't find a helper and his condition worsens then eventually he will change his strategy or he will become incompetent and someone will take over making decisions for him. If I was acquainted with this guy I probably wouldn't want to spend much time with him but I might check up on him from time to time and try to find out how he views the prospect of eventually having somone make his decisions for him and who he might like to take over that function. If he doesn't want to face that issue then I guess I would find out under Thai law what will happen to him once he's incompetent and explain to him what that is...and make it clear that by not making other plans this is almost assuredly what will happen eventually.......then let him get on with his life such as it is...it is his life and as long as he wants to be in charge of it then we should respect his wishes.

mobi, shut it down mate.

I once had a thread shut down because someone was in imminent danger if it was kept open.

Apart from a situation like that I would never ask for a closure.

let it run it's natural course, or let someone else be the cause of it's demise.

In the meantime, let's see if there is any wheat remaining amongst the chaff.

I haven't read most of this thread so pardon me if I'm revisiting old business.

Seems like this man is calling the shots in his life and is not asking for someone to make his decisions for him. Seems like he has some resources if he can pay 7,000 baht per month for a live in helper....and this is what he wants to do. My view is to just leave it at that. If he can't find a helper and his condition worsens then eventually he will change his strategy or he will become incompetent and someone will take over making decisions for him. If I was acquainted with this guy I probably wouldn't want to spend much time with him but I might check up on him from time to time and try to find out how he views the prospect of eventually having somone make his decisions for him and who he might like to take over that function. If he doesn't want to face that issue then I guess I would find out under Thai law what will happen to him once he's incompetent and explain to him what that is...and make it clear that by not making other plans this is almost assuredly what will happen eventually.......then let him get on with his life such as it is...it is his life and as long as he wants to be in charge of it then we should respect his wishes.

:o

If you would like to gauge the 'level of my contemptness [sic]' for the less-advantaged, perhaps you would like to talk to the kids of the school just outside Ubon for whom I recently bought six computers and a considerable amount of sporting equipment, and for whom I'm about to donate a library.

Or perhaps you'd like to talk to the steering committee of a well-known charity working for lots of underprivileged (poor, blind and handicapped) for whom I'm negotiating a 2 million baht contribution among several western oriented companies here in Bangkok.

I choose the causes I help with, and the basis I choose is that the people in those dire situations are there for NO SELF-INFLICTED reasons.

Bendix I price and I applaude your initiative and achievements in the charity arena. :D

But This does not authorize you to belittle others because their cause is lesser impressive or logic than yours. On the contrary, I would expect from a person who has been engaged in charity, a more moderated language when dealing with others misery, and specially others initiatives.

This initiative may be ill conceived from your perspective, but the only thing I can read from you posts, is unnecessary hardness and negativism.

It just come to my mind, and I hope I am wrong, that your only objective has been to wait for the right moment to brag about your actions in this matters. :o

It just come to my mind, and I hope I am wrong, that your only objective has been to wait for the right moment to brag about your actions in this matters. :o

Hm.. Yes.. interesting. It certainly helps to explain the vitriol and sense of outrage.....

("How dare he suggest helping some grumpy old farang, when I, Bendix the Great, have been so generous with the kids in Ubon - how dare he indeed!!")

As I said, lets see if there's any wheat amongst the chaff - or maybe if there's any chaff posing as wheat? :D

Kayo, I too had wheetabix for breakfast :D

Edited by Mobi

Four years ago I was introduced to an elderly Englishman who had fallen on hard times, but even in his impoverished circumstances, he was able to survive reasonable well, and made several trips a week to some of the cheaper bars, and take advantage of ‘happy hour’ beer prices, and more importantly, rely on a few old friends to buy him a few.

He was a bit of a crusty old bastard, who had no topic of conversation other than how hard done by he was, and how he lost all his money to his ex wife many years ago, and how his UK pension had been frozen more than 20 years ago (which was his sole source of income) and so on. If you tried to change the subject, he would quickly bring it back to his own misfortunes. He swore he would never return to England, he lived in a small 2 bed apartment in Prakanong, and managed to survive by using the buses, and for the most part, buying fresh food from the market and cooking himself. Being with him was ‘hard going’ but a few did their bit to help.

Fast forward 4 years.

He is now 80, very frail and semi-crippled following a road accident, is now unable to use the buses and is more bitter and twisted than ever. I ran across him in central Bangkok, on one of his rare forays from home, and got him nice and pissed. It seems that he is now totally friendless, as he has lost such friends that he had, by asserting that no-one helped him when he had his accident, and when he meets any of them on one of his rare afternoons out, they never offer to help, or put him in a taxi, or offer him a lift etc etc.

He says that the farang community in Thailand is totally heartless, and the Thais are no better. He is desperate for some home help who can take care of his basic needs, and said he can provide room and board plus 7,000 Baht a month for anyone who could take him on. He told me he has tried to put the word out, but there have been no takers.

He certainly appears to be totally alone now, and his future is very bleak. As I said, he is a difficult old bugger, but he still has all his faculties, and he doesn’t deserve to spend his remaining years like this.

Certainly if he was in England, he would be looked after much better – by both the social services – and – even these days, I believe in most areas the neighbours would look out for persons such as he.

Is he right? Is the farang community here heartless and uncaring? Are the Thais equally heartless and uncaring? Many in his neighbourhood are aware of his circumstances and no-one ever offers to help – not even by giving him a lift the main roads when they see him hobbling along with his cane.

But he will never go home. So what is the solution? Is there one?

I don’t know the answers, but his plight bothers me a lot.

He is not a close friend - in fact I have only met him 2 or 3 times, but I would like to do something, if I can.

And on a practical level, does anyone know of anyone – maybe up country – who may be willing to take care of him? If so, please PM me and we can explore it further.

I have quoted the OP here as, having read through the entire 10 pages, I didn't find any answers to the actual questions posed. The post seems to have been an opportunity for the hardhearts and the softhearts to respectivley posture.

But let's look at the questions asked.

Is the farang community here heartless and uncaring? Clearly not, although as in any cross-section of humanity, some demonstrably are.

Are the Thais equally heartless and uncaring? Certainly not in my experience. Most are the opposite, but again, as in every community some can be totally self-interested.

So now, after ten pages, that these questions which conveyed the perception of this old man are answered. Let's try to analyse his situation.

Why does he experience this? As far as I can see there are two possibilities. Either he has acquired such a negative reputation that even the majority of caring persons don't want to be involved or (perhaps more likely - notwithstanding his age and frailty) this is just his line to elicit sympathy (and perhaps find well intentioned people like Mobi to "get him pissed". "No one helped him when he had an accident". I have only one reaction to that - unbelievable.

From Mobi's earlier experience of the man he was totally self focussed. What has changed? Could it be that his "tale of woe" is, in fact his survival mechanism? If he is still compus mentus at 80 he will have learned a few tricks in his time. As an earleir poster said you have to stay alert to survive in Thailand.

What are his actual "needs" as distinct from "wants"? Food, laundry, housekeeping? It hasn't been suggested that he needs some medical care. Is he able to bathe/shower etc. How can anyone respond meaningfully without knowing an actual needs list? Or is there some innuendo in the phrase "anyone who would take him on"? Is he expecting something more than these services? Food, laundry, housekeeping etc. are not by any means difficult to come by in Bangkok? So what really is the problem here? Either 1)his grumpiness goes way beyond what anyone can reasonably be expected to tolerate 2)there is an undisclosed element to his problem or 3)he is a cunning old man playing the sympathy card. I'm not judging here - just analysing the facts.

He is said to have all his faculties. He has adequate (albeit modest) amount of income (even if we ignore the plausabilty problem about that).

He knows what he wants. Its not help at all costs but help according to his agenda.

Mobi. I think perhaps (I only say "perhaps") you are being a bit too soft hearted. The elderly can be very cunning. Especially when it comes to survival strategy.

So your final questions. "What is the solution?" "Is there one?"

Regretably I think the answer is "No".

This isn't a problem. It's a factual situation. Facts we have to learn to live with (including ageing) and I sense that, in his own way, that's exactly what the old guy is doing.

Why don't we have a whip-round and raise money for him? That way he can resume going to the bars, be cantankerous, blame everyone but himself for his plight . . . oh no, wait a minute. That aint gonna work.

Compassion? Yah, that's all very nice MiG. I guess charity starts at home though, and how much compassion should people show for someone who has negligently put himself in this position, and who rails against everyone else.

He's not a child. He knew what he was doing. He made his own choices.

If I choose to live here and decide to quit work, blow my money and booze and women, should I expect compassion from you all when it all turns to custard.

Mobi's OP suggests this guy has fallen on hard times. Not true. He threw himself headfirst into hardtimes.

Not sure if you read anything very much but most folk out of the West recognise the point of the parable concerning the good Samaritan.

Pity you don't.

Perhaps in time someone may provide you with subtitles which may enlighten but for now you probably approximate to the polloi that compelled Da Vinci to observe that most falling under his jaundiced eye were nothing more than sacks for food and fillers of piss pots.

Plus ca change toujour le meme chose?

Edited by the gent

OK the old fella doesn't want to live in the UK but how about he return for a bit and have his pension "reset" to the current day rate?

Then he return to Thailand and look into the care available using his new pension rate and also look into a ways to administer his funds if he is unable to do it for himself.

Surprised when I read a comment on the first page of this thread :o . Is it considered? How many people say "jeez when I get to an age of having to rely on people" etc etc... I wonder if that thought changes when you are actually there in the situation.

The 4 options as I see it :

1. Stay as he is an hope a good samaritan will look after him and his money. High risk.
  2. Increase his pension and get someone to administer it. Find an organisation in Thailand that can look after him with that extra money. Medium risk.
  3. Move back to the UK. Low risk.
  4. Spend his saving and finish it. Low risk.

Another point if he required high or even low care* does it really matter what country you are in? As GuestHouse said one of the things you loose is "independence". Living in a Retirement/Nursing home in Thailand or UK and will all being equal, I'm sure it would make little difference. Thai nurses/Pommy nurses?

I think in Thailand compared to some of the countries we are from, Thai look after their older people and there are few Retirement/Nursing homes in Thailand (are there any?).

*low care - accommodation services such as meals, laundry, room cleaning as well as additional help with personal care, with nursing care provided if required.

*high care - need almost complete assistance with most daily living activities. It includes accommodation services such as meals, laundry and room cleaning, as well as personal care. Medical needs are managed by nursing staff.

Cheers YBB

Thinking further about this guy (this thread has stayed on my mind for the last couple of days), I'm aware of yet another man who literally lives in a low-medium cost hotel (as per another poster's suggestion) where a lot of people in his age group stay (and many of them are his old friends). He's very old (pushing 90, I think) and in terrible health, but his mind is beautiful and alert. However, from what I am aware of his budget (15K a month for the room, I think, and 10K a month for a full-time live-in nurse), that's still out of reach for the gentleman who is the subject of the thread, before we even begin to talk about the costs of food, hospitalisation, transportation, communication, entertainment.... and before considering that the money he's spending now will be worth a lot less in 5 years, 10 years, 15 years. He needs a permanent and sustainable solution, and 15K here until he dies won't do it; not as a single individual in a city, anyway.

I'm also in that point in life where some of my older family members are having to begin to consider their long-term options, very reluctantly. Usually it's a matter of choosing among an array of very unattractive possibilities for the most affordable, rather than the preferable- blame it on the nuclear family, but that's how it goes in the west. I'm going to have to be part of some of this decision-making, and I can empathise with how difficult it can be to be the one to force someone to face unpleasant realities and hard choices. In my country, the only way for someone who isn't pretty wealthy by retirement age to arrange a decent long-term retirement is either to have lots of loving well-paid children or to plan very, very carefully for government benefits. These kinds of plans usually require a certain amount of capital investment to begin with over a 3-5 year period (at which point you have to run out of money completely to qualify), so they're not exactly free.

I feel sorry for the guy's having run out of time and options in Thailand, but there are so many who have so much less than he does, without the option of collecting government welfare in another country. It's unfortunate that his pension hasn't increased, but if the British government didn't control these kinds of things it could conceivably find all of its pension expenditures leaving the country (which doesn't help its own economy). It's something that I find worrying because I would hope to be able to retire in Thailand rather than return to a country in which I would find myself an alien of sorts and even poorer than I would be here.

I'm glad Mobi's posted about it not only for the sake of the fellow (who may or may not find a solution) but as a warning to those who still have time to arrange things differently and better. It's an especial worry for gay people as they get older how to handle retirement, if they are not part of the generation who had to get married anyway- it will be another generation or so before that is recognised as a big public services problem. But honestly, I don't see how the old guy can get by on his own here without outside support- which considering his poor social network will not be easy to arrange. I agree with most other posters here that it is not nice for the old fellow that the best solution is for him to be repatriated, but it *is* the best solution that doesn't involve considerable amounts of outside financial support that I don't see likely to come (though best of luck and great if he can find it). It's not so much a matter of "serves him right" as "here's what we can do." After all, if he were Thai and in similar straits without family his eventual options might be limited to begging on the streets.

I don't personally know any good candidates for this caretaker job- suggest someone who's mature, though, and with a good heart. 7000B a month sounds at the low end of the salary pool for the amount of time and attention this gentleman is likely to require (which will only increase). That he's willing to offer it (almost half his income), and offer it through talking to Mobi- who is only an acquaintance- makes it sound like he realises he's in trouble. Maybe with sufficient guidance and a bit of time to get used to the idea he can be convinced that the only possible solution (going home and re-establishing himself) is also in his best interest; but without someone with deep pockets willing to be his patron I don't see other viable options here. Sounds like it's something he should do *before* he has a major medical incident or is forced to begin spending his visa nest egg.

Not an easy situation to engage with Mobi- I admire you for taking the trouble, especially as it's not for a friend. I have a number of older friends who may be at risk of a similar financial/medical fate in the next 10-20 years, and I've been troubled with what I (or any group of us) could do about it.

"Steven"