Have To Take A Wedding Present

lotus eater

I'm leaving in a week & need to take a wedding present for my nephew. I'm always at a loss about presents.

I'd be very grateful for any ideas of a present for the couple or their flat - something that perhaps evokes a thai origin, is carryable in hand luggage, is purchaseable in the Chiang Mai area. My budget would be around 5000 baht or a bit more.

People must shop all the time - for their trips or otherwize; I really need their help - please, please.

Are they married already? If so how about getting from someone a nice pic of the couple and then getting an artist to make a nice painting/drawing out of it. Put it in a nice wooden frame and that seems like a thoughtful kind of present.

How about a Buddha statue? Just be careful if it's an antique, it's not supposed to leave the country. So look for a not so old one.

Other idea: Benjarong. All kind of pots or even tea (or coffee) service.

Are you in the North, Chiang Mai area? They have some very nice wood lacquer things and also silver cups (hand crafted)

Many of the Central department stores have a home furnishing section of Thai style things, give that a try if you are looking for something a bit nicer than stuff from the night markets. You could also get some of those Thai silk pillow cases at the night markets, usually around 100-200 baht (but I figure you are looking for something a bit pricier.) I usually buy loads of them as gifts before I go for a visit and people think that I've spent a bit on them. (I do tell them that it's not as much as they think.)

Am overwhelmed by the imagination and helpfulness of the replies already. Thank you very much. I'm in Chiang Mai. The couple are in their late twenties.

Several suggestions appeal to me. But I'd really appreciate a pointer as to where in Chiang Mai I might look for these - especially given my time restraints and lack of extensive shopping experience here; eg the suggestions of chownah, dominique355, soundman, quicksilva, popcorn.

The painting from a photo into a frame may be too cumbersome to fit all my constraints; the cushion covers etc too little though much the easiest to find and carry. I'd prefer a single object/piece/set rather than several bits and pieces of decorative things.

So thanks again everyone; but a specific shop/place/probable location would make me even more more grateful.

Howdy,

While in Chaing Rai my wife had two silk bath robes made for us, I was not crazy about it at first, but it has grown on me. I enjoy wearing it in the mornings and at night after my bath. The silk feels nice and cool on my skin. I must admit my wife looks very nice in hers :o

Many people here in the States have ask me to pick them one up next time we go.

Chung *j*

Haven't been to CM in a few years, however I seem to recall that the thai style hand painted pottery, plates, vases, tea sets etc. were available in numerous shops, in a number of styles & price ranges, around the "night bazaar" area in Chiang Mai city.

Some local members might be able to guide to an exact store.

Cheers,

Soundman.