Are We All "sad"?

November Rain

I was talking to an acquaintance, today. She said she was lonely in our town & asked what I did for friends. I started talking about TV and another forum I'm active in. She interrupted me with "But isn't that very sad?"

OK, maybe. In my particular circumstances (working with dogs all day, staying in most nights to take care of my little boy), it's the only social interraction with adults I get. Still sad? Yep, but wouldn't watching television and having no interraction be worse?

So, you're all here, too. Are we sad? Or is this a valid form of social interraction? Answers (in the form of a post, not on a postcard) please...

Those of you that actually have a life are excused :o

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NR

I think it used to be seen that internet forums were used by saddos with no lives and a lack of ability to go out and find real friends.

This certainly is not the case however I do believe some people still percieve it to be though!

I only ever really use the internet at work as my job is quite boring sometimes and I find this website in particular more informative than asking people I know.

So my answer is...........No and yes it is a valid form of social interaction

Mark

Ps I have a great life.

Edited by markr

Im not sad, my wifes great, the business is going well even the government hasnt slowed it down. First time married for me at 43 yrs old cant believe it all. I come here because I want to learn a s much as I can from people here until I permanently live in Thailand.

I dont have many real friends in the Uk dont mind my own company and dont need a social life, guess Im a bit of a loner but not sad.

Nooo i dont think we are sad.

In fact, i think that most of us are intellegent, funny, and articulate. So much so that we require somewhere to voice our thoughts opinions and read about others.

Intellegent people require stimulus! :o

I was talking to an acquaintance, today. She said she was lonely in our town & asked what I did for friends. I started talking about TV and another forum I'm active in. She interrupted me with "But isn't that very sad?"

OK, maybe. In my particular circumstances (working with dogs all day, staying in most nights to take care of my little boy), it's the only social interraction with adults I get. Still sad? Yep, but wouldn't watching television and having no interraction be worse?

So, you're all here, too. Are we sad? Or is this a valid form of social interraction? Answers (in the form of a post, not on a postcard) please...

Those of you that actually have a life are excused :D

I think the word sad used in the context you describe means loser, inadequate, boring etc etc.  Fortunatley ( for us) this sad way of living is becoming quite the norm so you should be happy to be sad :o

Nooo i dont think we are sad.

In fact, i think that most of us are intellegent, funny, and articulate. So much so that we require somewhere to voice our thoughts opinions and read about others.

Intellegent people require stimulus! :D

----------------------------

I need stimulus on a daily basis... :o

I have met more interesting people, had more conversations, and more belly laughs on this forum than I can count...!

I have a very active social life here in CM, go to gym daily, shop, go out with friends, etc.

I think being on this forum is a healthy sign of being a "multi-faceted" individual. :o

Those of you that actually have a life are excused :D

How sad do i have to be to become a Senior on this forum :o

I am on here because I spend a lot of time working on my computer, so I have about 4 things going at once.

Personally I am not a big television watcher and prefer something more interactive such as this forum, where I can also work at the same time.

I have learned a lot and got a lot of good info and ideas from here which is more than I can say from the television.

Why should that be sad? I have a family, a couple of businesses , friends abroad and here in Thailand.

I find it interesting to come on here and see what other people are up to and their ideas.

Some things you obviously have to take with a pinch of salt but often you get really interesting points of view or something really funny.

I think some people in this forum are great...you can find in here the smart and the stupid, the goodfella and the jerk, the nice and nasty, the academic and the ignorant.....

it is like to be in the university again! :o

Personally I have no reasons to be sad, and I see in here many very happy people. I also see in here some sad, lost and struggling people (for whom I feel a lot of sympathy), and others still more sad to the extreme that enjoy abusing and bully those in misery.

I am in here for short time (while I have the time). I think I am because I enjoy bashing and fighting arrogant egotistic b*st*rds (the reason of all the miseries in this world)!. I can not change this, but it is fun. :D

Initially I'm on this board getting seriouse about retiring in Thailand.

I have found the mix of divers nationality's and there expert wordsmith ability's in there own lingo very educational, enlightening, entertaining, humerus, and addicting.

Is there another life? Well I looked at all three international news channels right now and live shots of Miss Hilton going back to court dominate. I have no chance with her but I here there are a few care takers over there for hire, so witch screen you think I should look for a life on? :o

Before the internet came along just how much chance did you have to talk to people from practically every country in the world on a daily basis? How easy was it to listen to the point of view of someone half way round the world without the wealth to travel there? The internet is a wonderful thing and those that accuse you of being 'sad' simply haven't yet figured out what they're missing out on.

I don't think enjoying the forum is necessarily sad, although it may be in some cases. I do find it sad when members get all excited by their 500th, 1000th or whatever post, or other members congratulate them on that. That is sad. :o

Oh look! I have 943 posts!

Edited by qualtrough

for many, i would say, it is sad. nobody would admit it, but i just imagine a dingy studio and a couple hundred baht "budget" for a week of food... and of course bitching on tv.... but then again, maybe i'm acting and actually describing myself. No, that would be all of the high-rollers here on TV, claiming to be johnny bigballs toughguy ex-military type, or broke-ass-sod-pretending to be rich guy... god i'd love to see some of the digs these clows actually live in... and their 'beautiful' wives? when they piss on thai celebs that make their brown little wives look like maids, actually many of them would be maids if you hadn't saved them.... i'm ranting again.

D@mn! I knew I'd spelt 'interaction' wrongly! :D

No big deal Rain, it's easy to confuse it with interruptus. :D

Anyway, I don't see myself as sad.

But I do have to sit for hours at a computer doing translations, some of which are crushingly boring but lucrative.

So every hour or so I log in, check out who's pushing buttons today and it's a very entertaining break from work.

I would be sad, dear, if I didn't have you and the handbag swingers to perk up my workaday routine. :o

I don't think enjoying the forum is necessarily sad, although it may be in some cases. I do find it sad when members get all excited by their 500th, 1000th or whatever post, or other members congratulate them on that. That is sad. :D

Oh look! I have 943 posts!

Waddaya mean. Surely the only post count that matters is 1337.

(those of you that get what that means, you ARE possibly a tad "sad"...as am i :o )

No, not at all sad. I have met many good friends on here and theres more than a few that i interact with socially (get on the piss with).. Apart from one bozo that i met on here who i thought was a gentleman but turned out to be a complete arse, but thats only one out of many so the odds have been kind to me.

November Rain..Cheer up mate you have many many friends on here.. :o