Driving Licence Renewal - New Requirement

Shannoblic

18 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Hopefully only there!  There haven't been any other reports about this (that I've seen).  Why would a Covid vaccination certification be required for a driving licence? 

18 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Wasn't required in Chiang Mai last November.

Edited by roo860

Thaitom - of course.

1. a copy of the receipt of notification of address to Immigration when I took up residence here [which I keep in my passport]

2. Passport data page

3. Copy of wife's ID card

4. Copy of house Blue Book - wife is the registered owner

5. 20 baht

And that was it!  Took about half an hour as they had never done one for a farang before but no problem and they were very nice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, billd766 said:

I renewed car licence last month at Kamphaeng Phet and they required a certificate of residence from Immigration but no Covid stuff. Also I had to retake the test, but they downloaded the English version to my tablet so I watched that at home and answered the 4 questions easily.

To get the certificate from Immi, they required my passport plus copies of the photo page and my last extension, 90 day report copy, TM 30 copy plus photo.

The stupid thing is that the address is exactly the same as on my car licence, on my motorbike licence and in my yellow house book. If I had used the yellow book from the amphur they would have only given me a 2 year licence instead of a 5 year licence.

Every area seems to have a different set of rules. I renewed mine about 6 months ago in Buriram with yellow home book. Got a 5 year licence. Didn't need to retake test either.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Hopefully only there!  There haven't been any other reports about this (that I've seen).  Why would a Covid vaccination certification be required for a driving licence? 

Its just the local head of DLT applying his own measures.....    its not a nationwide official requirement for driving licence, its more of a local requirement to ‘enter’ the government office....  junior officers have perhaps added their own interpretation of that instruction and requested printed proof. 

It the same at Chaeng Wattana Immigration (Division 1) - proof of Vaccination or a recent Antigen Test is required to be shown on entry...  Or thats the regulation which according to some reports everyone seems to ignore now (as no one checks this on entry to the building). 

• Like 1

In Hua Hin confirmation of home address was required from Amphur not IO since I first did it in 2012. Yellow book is valid also and saves you the run to Amphur. I do mine in Cha Am which is Phetburi province or Pran Buri which is same province as Hua Hin, never had a problem with walk in up and including this month, everything done in less than 30 minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Check the website its isn't required. 

• Haha 1

I understand that it may not be a 'proper' legal requirement but when you are faced with an officer who has the power to let you submit your papers or not it is difficult to argue.  My wife was with me [Thai] and was told when she goes on Friday to change her licence she needs a printed proof as well [easy to do just photocopied it for her].  An easy thing to copy and hand in so not displeased.  Just thought I would bring it to the attention of the form.

Thanks for your replies and comments.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Agree, but the better question is...why ask why in Land of Inconsistency and Confusion? 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Shannoblic said:

Thaitom - of course.

1. a copy of the receipt of notification of address to Immigration when I took up residence here [which I keep in my passport]

2. Passport data page

3. Copy of wife's ID card

4. Copy of house Blue Book - wife is the registered owner

5. 20 baht

And that was it!  Took about half an hour as they had never done one for a farang before but no problem and they were very nice.

Very helpful, thank you. 

On 1/25/2022 at 7:03 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

Chinese flu passport for a driving license. These control idiots have lost the plot. F f $

• Like 2

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its just the local head of DLT applying his own measures.....    its not a nationwide official requirement for driving licence, its more of a local requirement to ‘enter’ the government office....  junior officers have perhaps added their own interpretation of that instruction and requested printed proof. 

It the same at Chaeng Wattana Immigration (Division 1) - proof of Vaccination or a recent Antigen Test is required to be shown on entry...  Or thats the regulation which according to some reports everyone seems to ignore now (as no one checks this on entry to the building). 

I concur with this, but I'm sure it will become a requirement, soon! My Amphur announced that entry into certain venues will require a digital passport for the jabs. I now have it in possession on my phone and pad!

stubuzz - looked at the document.  It does not have a number on it but the heading [in Thai and English] says 'RECEIPT OF NOTIFICATION'.  It then gives written details in Thai with English underneath  and has some Thai handwriting on it.

The details [going by the English subtitles] say I reported  my address at x date and x time for x address.  There is also a rather large red stamp on it.

Hope this helps.