Looking For A Gym...

keo

hello everyone, I'm looking for a gym in Chiang Mai. California Wow is way out my price range (5000B/month) and so is Powerhouse (3000B/month). The one is Central Kad Suan Kaew is cheap, but it doesn't even have showers.

I'm pretty sure some of the hotels must have good gyms that you can join. Ideally I would like a gym that has a steam sauna, some weight machines and a good treadmill for 1500B/month max.

Anybody know of any that fit the bill?

thanks

keo

The 700 year stadium has a track, olympic sized pool, and has a few weights and machines. I get a pretty good workout there.

Membership is 500 baht a year. After that, each pool use is 30 baht/visit and the fitness room is 10 baht/visit.

The best time to visit is around noon. This is a no frills gym. If you already know how to work out then this gym might work for you. If you need a trainer or want something like kick boxing or some specialized aerobic class then maybe this place is not for you.

hello everyone, I'm looking for a gym in Chiang Mai. California Wow is way out my price range (5000B/month) and so is Powerhouse (3000B/month). The one is Central Kad Suan Kaew is cheap, but it doesn't even have showers.

I'm pretty sure some of the hotels must have good gyms that you can join. Ideally I would like a gym that has a steam sauna, some weight machines and a good treadmill for 1500B/month max.

Anybody know of any that fit the bill?

thanks

keo

Holy bejayzuz - 5k/month?? :o

The wife and i paid 15K for a years membership for the two of us at Platinum Fitness opposite Lanna golf course on Mae Rim Rd. Good gym with pool, sauna etc.. And we can put it on hold while i am at work for 6 weeks at a time. Can't complain about that.

I just joined Kawee. 1699 baht for 3 months or 8k for 2 people per year.

Yeah it doesn't have showers, or even a bathroom, but it is dirt cheap and they have 8 trainers walking around to help you out. I tried powerhouse for a month, and well yeah its very western styled, but so is the price. Besides I don't know what is up with them. I saw pamphlets with something about 900baht and even awhile back ago a my old host mother recommended it to me and said it was about 1500baht. I don't know if they are playing the two price game or not.

As for kawee, has all the basics, it's cheap, it's close (for me), for the 1500 baht difference per month of powerhouse, I can shower back home.

I used to be a member at Duangtawan Hotel fitness center (4th floor)on Loy Khroy rd, near the night bazaar. I paid 10,000 baht for 1 year, it may have gone up now. The hotel is about 4 years old now.

Nice gym gear with modern weight machines and good selection of free weights. 3-4 treadmills and assorted bikes and x-trainers as well.

Clean showers and toilets, with sauna, steam room. They also have free towels to use. Free use of the pool outside as well. Park in the hotel carkpark on the 4th level to walk straight thru.

the staff are friendly and offer good advice on exercise etc. no hard sell either.

California Wow quoted 2499 per month for me with an 8k joining fee, but kept knocking it down and adding other incentives. Got some nice kit, including a couple of Concept II rowers, although a tad arty-farty and the staff were too pushy. Platinum is about the best for facilities, location and price imo. :o

Or go live in a compound that has a gym/pool. :o I just found out the pool and gym use costs the princely sum of 1000 baht per YEAR. :D Neither pool or gym room are among the biggest I've ever seen, but they definitely fit the bill.

The wife and i paid 15K for a years membership for the two of us at Platinum Fitness opposite Lanna golf course on Mae Rim Rd. Good gym with pool, sauna etc.. And we can put it on hold while i am at work for 6 weeks at a time. Can't complain about that.

Austhaied's dilemma......................

post-24617-1181703472_thumb.jpg

I used to be a member at Duangtawan Hotel fitness center (4th floor)on Loy Khroy rd, near the night bazaar. I paid 10,000 baht for 1 year, it may have gone up now. The hotel is about 4 years old now.

There are quite a few health clubs that offer much better equipment for about 7,000 baht per year.

I pay 8K/yr at the CM Orchid. Old gym, but all the stuff (bikes, treadmills, stairsteppers, free and machine weights, showers, sauna, towels, etc.)

Main draw for me is the great big pool. Not the biggest in CM, but at ~18 meters, does the job (I swim laps daily). And neither gym nor pool is ever crowded..... :o

I use the gym at Nai Fun 4... the mooban about 15k out of the city on the 1317...

It is not the cheapest by a long way but if anyone lives out in that direction like i do, and is willing to spend a little bit extra, it is WELL worth it. 100% brand new, good mix of cardio and weight machines and a good free-weight rack, almost never anyone there (myself and my g/f are generally the first to sign in for the day at 6.30pm), excellent friendly service, huge pool and great restaurant.

Cost: you can now buy packs of 20 coupons - and can mix and match the coupons.

Gym coupon Bt 150

Pool coupon Bt 100

Not sure about sauna cost though... something similar to above i guess.

Only drawback is that it opens late morning and closes at 8pm...