When is a pink card not a pink card?

sandyf

4 hours ago, Puccini said:

You're right, it is simple.

What some people colloquially call the pink card is the Thai ID for non-Thai nationals and it can be used in Thailand whenever a form asks for the ID card number.

By comparison with the passport, the ID card has the advantage that the number remains the same when the card expires and is replaced with a new one, and once the cardholder reaches the age of 60 his next card will remain valid for the rest of his life.

Thanks for that. My Thai ID card was certainly useful when getting my vaccinations (all 3) and it also came in handy when I renewed my driver's licenses recently.

I'm pleased to see that mine is 'good for life' now. I didn't know that. 

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, George Aylesham said:

My pink Thai ID card was rejected yesterday by the SCB, who finally reluctantly accepted a photocopy of my passport.

Opened accounts at SCB head office when Standard Chartered withdrew from retail banking in Thailand. I have found the service at SCB to be just about adequate, nothing better than that. I am considering moving my accounts to, probably, Bangkok Bank.

8 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Thanks for that. My Thai ID card was certainly useful when getting my vaccinations (all 3) and it also came in handy when I renewed my driver's licenses recently.

that's all fine, but for quite a few hard-core TH bureaucrats THE PINK is still a pain in the...because it neither has a magnetic strip nor an implanted chip or the like: Means hard computer keyboarding for the poor fellow behind the divider...

maybe this was done to initially show Cambos and Birmans and the like "you are not a THAI, you are missing something..."

Edited by thurien
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, thurien said:

that's all fine, but for quite a few hard-core TH bureaucrats THE PINK is still a pain in the...because it neither has a magnetic strip nor an implanted chip or the like: Means hard computer keyboarding for the poor fellow behind the divider...

maybe this was done to initially show Cambos and Birmans and the like "you are not a THAI, you are missing something..."

What a sad attitude you have. ????

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Moonlover said:

If you got your current ID card before you turned 60, you still have to get a new card prior to or after – I don't know which – the expiry date shown on the current card.

5 hours ago, Puccini said:

If you got your current ID card before you turned 60, you still have to get a new card prior to or after – I don't know which – the expiry date shown on the current card.

Oh I was well passed the 'sell by' date when I got mine, but thanks for the tip. ????

17 hours ago, Guitar God said:

There are two types of pink ID cards, cards for people on one year visas and for people with a permanent residence permit. I believe the only difference in appearance is the letter "P" on the latter.

No, the difference is in the 1st digit, PR starts with Nr. 8 , whereas the other ones start with 6... 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Opened accounts at SCB head office when Standard Chartered withdrew from retail banking in Thailand. I have found the service at SCB to be just about adequate, nothing better than that. I am considering moving my accounts to, probably, Bangkok Bank.

I would be careful about that.

18 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

On my mor prom i have 2 az 1 phizer ,my passport no my pink card no and my name it also says i am Thai. Go figure.

When presented with ID options of 

Thai ID card

Pink Card

Passport

which would you choose?

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

If you go back to the OP, I think you would find that you would also have to choose Thai ID rather than Pink Card.

If the registration form on the AIS website for the vaccination has the option Pink Card, it is a bit silly. Perhaps they meant to cater to those foreigners who know their Thai ID card for foreigners only by the colloquial name Pink Card, but they should have programmed that page to send the input to the same database as the input for ID Card and there would have been no problem.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

When presented with ID options of 

Thai ID card

Pink Card

Passport

which would you choose?

The Pink card every time---I want my passport safely locked away, not carrying it around every time I want to make a bank withdrawal etc.

It will take time for the acception of the Pink card to filter down---a few years ago there were places that had never seen them. As time moves on it will be more known and accepted everywhere----the Vax process has helped that a lot.

On 2/12/2022 at 8:02 PM, sanuk711 said:

The Pink card every time---I want my passport safely locked away, not carrying it around every time I want to make a bank withdrawal etc.

It will take time for the acception of the Pink card to filter down---a few years ago there were places that had never seen them. As time moves on it will be more known and accepted everywhere----the Vax process has helped that a lot.

Except as I said in the OP, the Pink Card option produced a message to say no vaccination records found.

13 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Except as I said in the OP, the Pink Card option produced a message to say no vaccination records found.

There's many hiccups re the Thai government and computers---- Look at the 90 day reporting, from feed back it seems to be improving---- the same with the ID (Pink) card---the more it gets used for different occasions like this, the better it will be.

Its here to stay, and its so much better than a passport that changes number every so many years. IMO

28 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

There's many hiccups re the Thai government and computers---- Look at the 90 day reporting, from feed back it seems to be improving---- the same with the ID (Pink) card---the more it gets used for different occasions like this, the better it will be.

Its here to stay, and its so much better than a passport that changes number every so many years. IMO

I am not  disputing the sentiment, I have had my yellow  book around 12 years and got my pink card as soon as they became available. Certainly been very useful.

The thread was intended to point out that the obvious choice may not be the right one, and possibly help others that may have come up against the same problem.

If you are going to quote me, please stay in context.