As UK interest rates rise will pound v baht follow?

When a country has low interest rates it's currency becomes worthless.

Thai mortgage rate 4.75%, bank account 1.2%

UK mortgage rate 1.8%, bank account 0%

Why would I park my money in a country that pays no (or low) interest)?

The problem being, many western countries have sold mortgages to people who couldn't repay if the interest rates rise. So you have the situation, low interest rates and worthless currency Vs huge amounts of mortgage defaults.

Edited by BritManToo
  • 2 months later...
On 2/23/2022 at 11:44 AM, BritManToo said:

When a country has low interest rates it's currency becomes worthless.

Thai mortgage rate 4.75%, bank account 1.2%

UK mortgage rate 1.8%, bank account 0%

Why would I park my money in a country that pays no (or low) interest)?

The problem being, many western countries have sold mortgages to people who couldn't repay if the interest rates rise. So you have the situation, low interest rates and worthless currency Vs huge amounts of mortgage defaults.

I don't know about elsewhere but in the US it's only a minority of mortgage are variable interest. Actually, for the who have mortgages at fixed interest rates, high inflation is mostly a good thing

• 2 weeks later...

The UK economy is in a terrible state. My extended family have a motor trade business that's been established 101 years (car sales, servicing etc) and the outlook has probably not been worse since the 1970's.  The price of parts has gone through the roof (e.g. pair of aftermarket brake discs that were £30 last year, now £47 - same part no. same supplier). Many parts in short supply due to transport and distribution issues, e.g. clutch kits hard to get.  We used to buy certain German car parts direct from a distributor in Germany on 24 hour lead time. Now we wait for 5 days and get import taxes and fees added - no longer viable. Various automotive lubricants in short supply.

My brother's company, built up over 25 years, 16 employees, exporting fresh premium British meat (think Welsh lamb, Scottish venison) is closing down. Its impossible for him to compete. Transportation and customs charges have increased more than five-fold and taking three times as long.

The country seems to be seizing up.  Housing market stoked up over last two years now seems ripe to be crashed by interest rate rises.

Relatively higher inflation in UK as compared to Thailand will push pound down relative to THB.  I certainly wouldn't want to be depending on one of those 'frozen' pensions!

• Haha 1
On 5/10/2022 at 4:26 AM, placeholder said:

I don't know about elsewhere but in the US it's only a minority of mortgage are variable interest. Actually, for the who have mortgages at fixed interest rates, high inflation is mostly a good thing

Many in UK have fixed rate mortgages - mostly 2-5 years, some longer. Problem is these deals expire and low rates no longer available. Also first time buyers' rates are going up - which tends to cut the legs from under the market. The UK economy tends to pivot around the housing market and so I don't think the outlook is good...