Thai Airways Amex

Hi,

I have noticed that Amex (American Express) offers a Thai Airways card, so you can earn bonus miles whenever you shop.

Does anybody know if this card is available for people living outside Thailand?

The #"#"!"! website doensn't a contact email. They only have a telephone number and I don't want to call them from Denmark :o

Thanks.

Hi,

I have noticed that Amex (American Express) offers a Thai Airways card, so you can earn bonus miles whenever you shop.

Does anybody know if this card is available for people living outside Thailand?

The #"#"!"! website doensn't a contact email. They only have a telephone number and I don't want to call them from Denmark :o

Thanks.

No, it's not available outside Thailand, and you must have a non-immigrant visa, Work permit, etc., or with enough income on a retirement visa. There is a minimum income requirement, not sure what it is, but heard around 100k Baht/mo.

The min. income is not a problem, but we don't live in Thailand anymore.

Any idea of some similar card is available for people outside Thailand (we live in Denmark).

Don't you have affinity cards in Denmark? In the U.S., we're absolutely overwhelmed by them.

You might try the websites of Lufthansa, Scandanavian, Austrian, BMI, and Swiss for credit card offers. These are all Star Alliance Network airlines and any points you earn on them can be used to purchase flights on Thai.

In Denmark a co-branded SAS card would definitely be the way to go...and as posted above, you can use the points all over Star Alliance.

True, but it's a Diners Club which is close to useless - and you only earn points when you use it abroad.

actually a very good card, I use mine extensively, and Thai Airways are pretty good for letting you use the miles, off to the Phillipines at the end of the month coutersy of amex / thai air miles

I agree, it's an excellent card. They chased me to sign up and eventually I'm glad I did. I even put a car down payment on the card, and got credit for extra miles. One of the best deals in Thailand if you have a good income and pay it off monthly.

rte-switch-editor.png

funny to see this tread pop up, I have the form sitting on my table right now... how long from when you send in the application to get the card (assuming they give you one)?

They seem very aggressive. Not sure of what limit you'll be given but they will engage with you immediately.

rte-switch-editor.png

funny to see this tread pop up, I have the form sitting on my table right now... how long from when you send in the application to get the card (assuming they give you one)?

They seem very aggressive. Not sure of what limit you'll be given but they will engage with you immediately.

Do somebody know their email address, so I can beg them to give me a card?

rte-switch-editor.png

Do somebody know their email address, so I can beg them to give me a card?

I don't know why I'm bothering here, as I think the OP does not live in Thailand and has no hope of getting the card, but here goes, as I just opened a piece of spam from them. By the way OP, this card is demoninated in Thai Baht.: [email protected]

Tel: To find out more about our special invitation offers and become a valued Cardmember, please call 0 2273 5558.

Are you serious chintee? You put down a car payment on yours? I got one a month or so ago and have a million baht and a bit credit limit. I've also just ordered a new car. How much deposit did you put down?

Are you serious chintee? You put down a car payment on yours? I got one a month or so ago and have a million baht and a bit credit limit. I've also just ordered a new car. How much deposit did you put down?

yeah, me too, I use it for travel and usually charge about 100-200 k/mo., traveling regionally. It's smart to use it for a big purchase you intend to pay off like a down payment because there is no interest if paid the next month. I racked up a lot of miles as I put down about 300k. I don't know what dealer you bought your car from but the Honda dealer on Rama IV takes it no problem.

...I just opened a piece of spam from them. By the way OP, this card is demoninated in Thai Baht.: [email protected]

Tel: To find out more about our special invitation offers and become a valued Cardmember, please call 0 2273 5558.

You and I must have opened the same piece of spam from them today.

If you can believe what they say:

"At the recent Freddie Awards, the THAI American Express Platinum Credit Card was voted "the Best Affinity Credit Card"* in the Asia Pacific, Australia and Japan region. This Vote from frequent travellers just reaffirms our commitment to be your most preferred card and offer you best in class service.

To thank you and in celebration of the Card's 1st anniversary, we are offering 25% MORE BONUS miles throughout 2007**. The THAI American Express Platinum Credit Card is the fastest way to fly THAI."

The Freddie Awards? :o

/Edit - I just re-read their email and it had the following notice at the bottom:

"To Contact Us

Please do not reply to the email for any enquiries - messages sent to this address cannot be answered. Kindly contact our Customer Service Representative on 0 2273 5005 who will be glad to assist you"

Edited by Jai Dee
Additional comment added.

...I just opened a piece of spam from them. By the way OP, this card is demoninated in Thai Baht.: [email protected]

You and I must have opened the same piece of spam from them today.

If you can believe what they say:

"At the recent Freddie Awards, the THAI American Express Platinum Credit Card was voted "the Best Affinity Credit Card"* in the Asia Pacific, Australia and Japan region. This Vote from frequent travellers just reaffirms our commitment to be your most preferred card and offer you best in class service.

To thank you and in celebration of the Card's 1st anniversary, we are offering 25% MORE BONUS miles throughout 2007**. The THAI American Express Platinum Credit Card is the fastest way to fly THAI."

The Freddie Awards? :o

I think that's the same esteemed group that does the tailors' awards :D

At first I was highly dubious about this card becasue they kept calling me every month or so.

It was not until a friend told me how useful these cards were did I bite and get myself

one

Now I use mine all the time - just have to remember to pay off the full amount each month!

Whatever you do - do NOT take any cash advance out of an ATM from it. They sent me a PIN number but reading the fine print the charge interert on ATM withdrawls DAILY!

Edited by Ian_B

I do have one minor complaint about the card service. A couple months ago, I incurred about a 60k Baht charge from a hotel in Delhi. The stupid hotel submitted a double charge and I, of course called A/X to have it taken off. Well, they said they would look into the matter after I faxed them the receipt, but that the charge would "ride" on the bill until resolved. I watched this for about I think 2 months, and noticed interest was accumulating on this unpaid 60k. So, as I was getting ready to pounce on them, I noticed on my last bill that the charge was indeed reversed, AND the interest charge on that unpaid charge was also taken off, so no harm done, but it did seem to take a lot longer than expected to get that reversed.

Now I use mine all the time - just have to remember to pay off the full amount each month!

There is an option for a direct debit from an account of your nomination.

I think I received my Thai Airways/ Amex card in 2001 but I've had an Amex card since 1975. I use it primarily to pay my TOT, AIS, UBC and Internet accounts. Kasikorn Bank settles the bill by direct debit every month.

Is it possible to check your AMEX Platinum CC balance online yet? I tried to register the card last year - but it was a no go.

Not that I know of Samran.

That would be very useful.

They don't have online support for their credit cards here...last I heard, it was being worked on. So I guess, it's coming Soon :o

Freddie Awards is acutally a big thing, an anual selection of the best airline bonus deals. But true, the name they selected for the awards is ridiculous.

The Freddies were inspired by Sir Freddie Laker, who in 1978 was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II for his contribution to commercial aviation and the British economy. Known for his pioneering marketing ideas within the travel industry in the 1970s, Laker founded Britain's first all-jet air carrier, Laker Airways Limited. He also founded the "SKYTRAIN" service, which revolutionized the airline industry by offering no-reservation, low-cost air service.

Ridiculous....?

Regards

I do have one minor complaint about the card service. A couple months ago, I incurred about a 60k Baht charge from a hotel in Delhi. The stupid hotel submitted a double charge and I, of course called A/X to have it taken off. Well, they said they would look into the matter after I faxed them the receipt, but that the charge would "ride" on the bill until resolved. I watched this for about I think 2 months, and noticed interest was accumulating on this unpaid 60k. So, as I was getting ready to pounce on them, I noticed on my last bill that the charge was indeed reversed, AND the interest charge on that unpaid charge was also taken off, so no harm done, but it did seem to take a lot longer than expected to get that reversed.

Amex are the pits. I had a card for 14 years with over $1 million spent on it during that time, then one day I had a bogus $5000 charge appear on it that took weeks of phone calls and faxes to get removed. Never ever again.

I wouldn't use an Amex card now to even scrape a turd off my shoe. :o