Vietnam foreign ministry proposes visa exemption resumption

snoop1130

kiemtraytetansonnhat2073159368-9326-2993-1646308488_680x408.jpg

Foreigners arrive at Tan Son Nhat Airport in HCMC, March 18, 2020. Photo by VnExpress/Huu Khoa

The Foreign Affairs Ministry has proposed that Vietnam resumes its erstwhile visa exemption policy and is awaiting a final decision from the prime minister on the issue.

Ministry spokeswoman Le Thi Thu Hang said this at a Thursday press meet in response to an inquiry about the status of the visa exemption policy that was in force before the Covid-19 pandemic prompted its suspension and the nation to close its borders in March 2020.

The question was asked in the context of Vietnam fully reopening its borders to inbound tourism starting March 15.

Full Story: https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/vietnam-foreign-ministry-proposes-visa-exemption-resumption-4434438.html

vne_international.jpg
-- © Copyright VN Express 2022-03-04

22 hours ago, andy said:

If I remember correctly, their list of visa exempt countries was very small and did not include the US and several other countries that you would think would be on it.

Has there been any news on if the 1 year tourist visa previously available for Americans still exists?

There was about 12-15 exempt nations. But they only get 15 days. Quite silly. But many tourist industry groups are pushing for expansion of the nations' list and amount of visiting time. Some news out of Hanoi has got to come this week.

I'm not American so I know little about the 1-year Tourist visa, except you have to leave every 90 days, I believe.  I think the special visa for Americans was still in the law, which was amended and made effective in July 2020.