Where Can An Undergrad Teach?

MuayThaiPunchingBag

OK, I know there are jobs galore for folks with bachelors degrees and TEFL, TESL, CELTA, TEOSL, and what ever other certificates there are out there. I however, am an undergraduate studying to teach. I figured while I was earning my bachelors and or masters, it would be nice to come to Thailand and teach, live, and enjoy myself, that way I go back home to the states in a few years with a Masters degree and 3 or 4 years teaching experience.

Any suggestions on where to go to find a teaching post? Which universities/schools will hire someone who is "not qualified?"

Or, if tutoring is the way to go, how do I go about building up a clientele, do I advertise anywhere? Make t-shirts with my phone number? Any ideas?

I live near Chiang Mai University, if that helps...I don't know why it would...

OK, I know there are jobs galore for folks with bachelors degrees and TEFL, TESL, CELTA, TEOSL, and what ever other certificates there are out there. I however, am an undergraduate studying to teach. I figured while I was earning my bachelors and or masters, it would be nice to come to Thailand and teach, live, and enjoy myself, that way I go back home to the states in a few years with a Masters degree and 3 or 4 years teaching experience.

Any suggestions on where to go to find a teaching post? Which universities/schools will hire someone who is "not qualified?"

Or, if tutoring is the way to go, how do I go about building up a clientele, do I advertise anywhere? Make t-shirts with my phone number? Any ideas?

I live near Chiang Mai University, if that helps...I don't know why it would...

There are any number of language schools who will still hire some who doesn't have a degree. But that would be illegal, and since you're in the middle of doing something else legitimate - earning your degree - do you really want to risk getting into trouble?

Are you going to CMU for your degree? If you are, you might talk to administration there about being able to substitute for some teacher's classes or be a teacher's aid. That would give you experience legally, if they agreed to it. It would have to be non-paid, I'd guess. But you were just looking for experience, right?

It seems to me, you are a student and not a teacher. No offense intended, but why should someone hire you?

Thanks for not answering, does anyone have an answer?

The basic answer is NO ... you are not qualified to teach here. Might you be able to illegaly? yes

against board rules to discuss breaking the law :o

Really though, do you have absolutely no clue and you're just on here to waste someone elses time? If they hire me, and I present my credentials responsibly, they broke the law in hiring, not me in being hired. So, if you actually had an answer or anything positive to contribute, I'd appreciate it.

If not, maybe you can post a topic "is there anything to do in Chiang Mai besides dick around on forums?" and I can give you some constructive advice on that topic.

Really though, do you have absolutely no clue and you're just on here to waste someone elses time? If they hire me, and I present my credentials responsibly, they broke the law in hiring, not me in being hired. So, if you actually had an answer or anything positive to contribute, I'd appreciate it.

I think you are going at this the wrong way - you asked a question which while not inherently wrong was illadvised. The reality of the matter is that there are many smaller, less particular to credential operators who will hire a non or underqualified teacher for their students. To find them I suggest that when you arrive you start looking around near the larger schools and University campuses around town.

To tell you of places knowing that they were illegal is against rule is correct. This board as all web boards in Thailand must be carefull to abide by the rules or face legal action. Telling an undergrad where he can find a bit of illegal work may appear to be (relatively) harmless but none the less is illegal. It happens, everyone knows it happens but it could cause the poster to be refused access to TV.

Just to make sure you realise - your quote "If they hire me, and I present my credentials responsibly, they broke the law in hiring, not me in being hired" is wrong. To work in Thailand irrespective of whether you are paid or not requires the proper visa and work permit. The work permit for a teacher stipulates that you present a degree from a tertiary institution. Even if you tell the employer that you don't have one, are studying for one, or will buy one in Khao San road like half the other teachers in similar dodgy English teaching shops YOU are still the one breaking the law. If the school is owned and run by a Thai national they will pay a on the spot fine but you as a "rich foreigner" will be much more worth squeezing.

If you really want to do a proper bit of legit teaching - ask at your careers advice centre at your University for a letter and some help with contacting some of the universities that take exchange teachers. Some Universities have contacts with schools or may offer you to take English conversation classes as a TUTOR in their institution. Payap is one such place but you should do it via you University. They may give you a term's worth of experience in which case you benefit with getting on the spot teaching experience to Thai students and the students benefit from speaking with native speaking tutors. You should be aware that as a tutor without a working visa you will not be paid but they may offer something in exchange such as lessons in Thai which Payap holds. Again you benefit from the experience and if that is what you are really looking for then you will enjoy it.

regards

CB

Edited by Crow Boy

Why would you limit your prospects of employment by considering only english teaching jobs? I'm sure there a host of other professions you're unqualified for as well, that pay much better. If it were me, I'd try to get one of those cushy doctors jobs at a hospital.

you MIGHT consider READING the teaching in Thailand subforum ....

I have "READ" the teaching in Thailand subforum, and had you READ my question you would see mine was CHIANG MAI specific, maybe caps and bold and larger font will help you....WHAT SCHOOLS IN CHIANG MAI WILL HIRE AN UNDERGRAD?

With your apparent attitude and lack of respect for your elders I would not expect too much assistence in your quest. Glad your not on fire.

you MIGHT consider READING the teaching in Thailand subforum ....

I have "READ" the teaching in Thailand subforum, and had you READ my question you would see mine was CHIANG MAI specific, maybe caps and bold and larger font will help you....WHAT SCHOOLS IN CHIANG MAI WILL HIRE AN UNDERGRAD?

With your apparent attitude and lack of respect for your elders I would not expect too much assistence in your quest. Glad your not on fire.

Because they are older I should take their crap? Why should age give license to treat someone badly? I asked a question, with a specific answer in mind. Their answers were neither helpful, constructive, and vaguely disguised as implementing common courtesy. I should hope when I am "an elder" I will be mature enough to warrant the respect that goes along with it. Oh, and I wake up everyday thankful I'm not on fire....

Hey come on guys - settle down a bit will you please. This is a fair question from a guy who ok may not realise what he has asked but so far has been pretty beaten up by most of the replies.

If you think he is wrong then in simple polite language explain it. If you think he is looking for help then help him out but don't just flame him on his 7th post.

CB

Hey come on guys - settle down a bit will you please. This is a fair question from a guy who ok may not realise what he has asked but so far has been pretty beaten up by most of the replies.

If you think he is wrong then in simple polite language explain it. If you think he is looking for help then help him out but don't just flame him on his 7th post.

CB

Crow ... he didn't get flamed ... what he got were answers that he did not like! To which he responded negatively.

I think you are going at this the wrong way - you asked a question which while not inherently wrong was illadvised. The reality of the matter is that there are many smaller, less particular to credential operators who will hire a non or underqualified teacher for their students. To find them I suggest that when you arrive you start looking around near the larger schools and University campuses around town.

To tell you of places knowing that they were illegal is against rule is correct. This board as all web boards in Thailand must be carefull to abide by the rules or face legal action. Telling an undergrad where he can find a bit of illegal work may appear to be (relatively) harmless but none the less is illegal. It happens, everyone knows it happens but it could cause the poster to be refused access to TV.

Just to make sure you realise - your quote "If they hire me, and I present my credentials responsibly, they broke the law in hiring, not me in being hired" is wrong. To work in Thailand irrespective of whether you are paid or not requires the proper visa and work permit. The work permit for a teacher stipulates that you present a degree from a tertiary institution. Even if you tell the employer that you don't have one, are studying for one, or will buy one in Khao San road like half the other teachers in similar dodgy English teaching shops YOU are still the one breaking the law. If the school is owned and run by a Thai national they will pay a on the spot fine but you as a "rich foreigner" will be much more worth squeezing.

If you really want to do a proper bit of legit teaching - ask at your careers advice centre at your University for a letter and some help with contacting some of the universities that take exchange teachers. Some Universities have contacts with schools or may offer you to take English conversation classes as a TUTOR in their institution. Payap is one such place but you should do it via you University. They may give you a term's worth of experience in which case you benefit with getting on the spot teaching experience to Thai students and the students benefit from speaking with native speaking tutors. You should be aware that as a tutor without a working visa you will not be paid but they may offer something in exchange such as lessons in Thai which Payap holds. Again you benefit from the experience and if that is what you are really looking for then you will enjoy it.

regards

CB

Thanks.

CB

Crow ... he didn't get flamed ... what he got were answers that he did not like! To which he responded negatively.

The question, which is right in the topic headline wasn't answered. There are schools, and there are tutoring positions even if privately for cash one on one free lance. I asked about those.

You didn't have the decency to answer.

I didn't post, "hey guys, what do you think about this idea?" I had a very specific question, to which you have no clue, but you're hooked on hearing yourself talk and seeing your name in print. I'd still be glad to hear an answer from you even on the second part of my question as to how to find and look for tutoring positions, but I don't think you're really here to help.

The answer is that you are not legal to teach :o the board rules tell us not to discuss ways to break the law ... so ...

<just because you want to do something ... does not mean that you can .. or that you should>

The answer is that you are not legal to teach :o the board rules tell us not to discuss ways to break the law ... so ...

<just because you want to do something ... does not mean that you can .. or that you should>

Is private tutoring illegal?

Without a work permit and a non immigrant visa it is.

Without a work permit and a non immigrant visa it is.

I also read a recent thread from Sunbelt that Work Permits would no longer be issued to those on education or retirement visas.

Edited by chinthee

yes ... that is illegal too

What the OP really should be considering is finishing his education and thereny making himself representative of the teachers the Kingdom claims to want. As things stand now, he is the very profile of the person that all the rule changes have tried to eradicate from Thailand.

I also read a recent thread from Sunbelt that Work Permits would no longer be issued to those on education or retirement visas.

Those on retirement extensions have not been allowed to obtain work permits for the last few years, so that part is not new. As for the 'tone' here, I would like to see it brought down a notch or two and this includes the OP. Thanks.

"Hey come on guys - settle down a bit will you please. This is a fair question from a guy who ok may not realise what he has asked but so far has been pretty beaten up by most of the replies."

Where to start ???

Yes, The Punching Bag got beaten up. Surprising ? The poster who notes his attitude is right on as well. This is not the type of attitude to take in Thailand. You must be polite, whether with Farang or not, you sound rude, dude ! Having attitude over frustration will get you nowhere in Thld, and all the better you hear it from us. You can't just throw back your question with attitude and claim flawed logic, failure to answer the actual question. Your question has been answered numerous times. If you can take a relaxed approach that things will not/do not work here as whatever country you're used to, you might have a chance of figuring out what to do.

The Farang here have answered you loud n clearly as much as they have indirectly. This is very Thai as well. Get used to it.

As for where where where where ???? You haven't told me where!? You just need to walk any major street to find a language school and inquire. Wlak in, well dressed, PROPER ATTITUDE, some documents about your school status and a resumee, and somebody may be willing to talk to you. YOu will have to find the streets n places yourself as per other issues already mentioned, but this is another good Thai lesson. Things are not clear here. THose who go out and work at it will get somewhere in their pursuits, you can't expect specific information about how n where to get things done in this country all the time. I see plenty of schools along the inside of the river, on Huay Kaew, and Nimmanhaemin. That's for starters.

Be calm.

Good Luck.

What the OP really should be considering is finishing his education and thereny making himself representative of the teachers the Kingdom claims to want. As things stand now, he is the very profile of the person that all the rule changes have tried to eradicate from Thailand.

I've read the very profile are the fly by night backpackers who are looking to make a few bucks to pay off their bills before they move on to the next country, the teachers who care less about teaching and the students, and who only want a paycheck.

I am none of those things; I'm a hard worker, intent on staying a long time and doing a good job at what I do.

What is with your insistence on constant derision and belittlement? I'd like to see a source on that statement that private tutoring for cash is illegal in Thailand, do you have a source or site that states that in any way, or is just a "hunch?"

I have a feeling your ego is getting in the way, and you can't admit you're wrong...but I'm willing to admit I am if someone credible or credible sources are presented to back up your answer. I doubt they will be forthcoming though.

lannarebirth - this is probably the most sensible post made on this thread so far - agree completely.

well I thought my posts were ok too

CB

I've read the very profile are the fly by night backpackers who are looking to make a few bucks to pay off their bills before they move on to the next country, the teachers who care less about teaching and the students, and who only want a paycheck.

I am none of those things; I'm a hard worker, intent on staying a long time and doing a good job at what I do.

What is with your insistence on constant derision and belittlement? I'd like to see a source on that statement that private tutoring for cash is illegal in Thailand, do you have a source or site that states that in any way, or is just a "hunch?"

I have a feeling your ego is getting in the way, and you can't admit you're wrong...but I'm willing to admit I am if someone credible or credible sources are presented to back up your answer. I doubt they will be forthcoming though.

Read up on 'working in Thailand'

To work in Thailand you MUST have a work permit. Thailand regards work in very liberal terms which would include working without pay. You cannot get a work permit without a non-immigrant visa. You do NOT qualify for a work permit for various reasons when attempting to do tutoring <on your own>.

Again, just because you want to do something ... does not mean that you can, should or will be able to legally.

http://www.thaivisa.com/work-permit/new-wo....-may-2002.html

Wednesday, 18 October 2006

In May 2002, the Department of Employment has announced with approval from the Minister of Labour and Social Welfare the new Procedure Order governing criteria and condition for expatriate's work permit approval. This new procedure order revises the old regulations governing work permit approval, renewal and modification of employment descriptions or locations of a workplace.

According to the procedure order, the permit may be granted to an expatriate who has the qualification according to one of these conditions:

1. Working for an establishment with a registered capital of at least 2,000,000 Baht. One expatriate can be hired for every 2,000,000 Baht of capital but not more than 10 expatriates.

Supported Document:

The Certificate of juristic person registration with a fully paid-up capital not less than 2,000,000 Baht and a copy of the list of shareholders (Form Bor-Or-Jor 5).

Financial statement with an initial working capital not less than 2,000,000 Baht certified by a certified auditor And after deduction of debts, loans and other expenses, the establishment must have assets as cash or bank deposit not less than 2,000,000 Baht.

Account transaction to proof cash transacting in the bank for business transaction in the amount not less than 2,000,000 Baht.

2. Working in an establishment, which has already paid income tax for juristic company to the Revenue Department in the past 3 years not less than 5,000,000 Baht. For every 5,000,000 Baht tax payment is allowed to hire 1 expatriate.

Supported Document:

Form of tax payment on juristic person (Por Nkor Dor 91) and the receipt from the Revenue Department

3. Working for an establishment, which engages in export business and remit foreign currency of at least the equivalent of 3,000,000 Baht last year. For every 3,000,000 Baht, an establishment is allowed to hire 1 expatriate but not more than 3 expatriates.

Supported Document:

A copy of Bill of Lading submitted to the Custom Department stating the total value of export goods.

4. Working in an establishment, which employs 50 Thai employees. An establishment is allowed to hire 1 expatriate for every 50 Thai employees but not more than 5 expatriates in total.

Supported Document:

The proof of payment paid toward the Social Security Fund.

5. An expatriate having an income and duty to pay personal income tax to the Revenue Department of equivalent or more than 18,000 Baht, or already paid personal income tax in the past year of equivalent or more than 18,000 Baht.

Supported Document:

If an expatriate has never worked in the Kingdom, he must provide the employment contract to the officer in order to estimate an expatriate's ability to pay such tax. Accordingly, in the case of single expatriates, he must have personal income of at least 30,000 Baht, and in the case of married expatriate, he must have personal income of at least 45,000 Baht per month.

If an expatriate used to have the permit, he must present proof of personal income tax payment of equivalent or more than 18,000 Baht along with a receipt from the Revenue Department.

Moreover, the Authorized Officers, on reasonable grounds, may consider work permit approval, renewal, and modification of employment descriptions and positions or locations of workplace regardless of restrictions on the number of expatriates stated above, if the work falls under the followings:

1. Representative office conducting quality control, procurement, or marketing research.

Supported Document:

The Business Operation License according to the Foreign Business Operations Act B.E. 2542 (2002).

2. The work in investment consulting, administrative consulting, technical and technology, or periodical internal audit.

Supported Document:

Consulting contract with both parties' official seals.

3. Tourism representatives who bring in foreigners to travel in Thailand.

Supported Document:

Tourist agent permit issued by Thai Tourism Authority.

4. International financial institutions approved by the Bank of Thailand.

5. Temporary business of entertainment, religious, social welfare, cultural or sporting without intention to make profit and paying income tax to the government.

6. Working as a contractor on projects with the governmental bodies or state enterprises.

Supported Document:

A supporting letter stating the number of expatriates, expatriate's names and positions.

7. Work using mostly local raw material as an essential component in the production process or work that can reduce the use of imported raw material.

8. Work supporting export of Thai products.

9. Work, which brings new technology, which Thai people are not capable of, in order to distribute and transfer to Thai people.

10. Work in the area where there is a shortage of Thai labour.

11. Having a residency in the Kingdom.

Supported Document:

A resident permit or certificate of foreigners.

12. Being a married couple with Thai citizen, with legally married registration, publicly cohabiting as husband and wife, and with a legal profession, which is socially respectable.

Conclusion:

Compared to the former regulations concerning work permits, most people found that these new conditions sound too good to be true. However, based on our experiences, we have proved that in the real practice these new conditions do exist. Receiving work permits is a very major concern for every business. The more options for work permit are available, the more sensible and effective approaches are to be utilized.

Edited by jdinasia