Boi Intensifies Overseas Lobbying Of Foreign Investors

george

BoI intensifies overseas lobbying of foreign investors

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's government-related Board of Investment (BoI) is intensifying

its role in explaining the country abroad, and this month begins a new thrust explaining the current situation in Thailand to investors overseas in a bid to restore foreign investment confidence, according to Deputy Prime Minister and Industry Minister Kosit Panpiemras.

The government must explain to investors that the country's political issues would be only short-term, said Mr. Kosit. Discussions had been held with BoI officials and they would have to work harder.

BoI officials will travelling later this month to 'sell' Thailand as being in a transition period towards a general election that will clarify the future in a positive way, and that there are no further obstacles to affect the country's economic fundamentals, he said.

Mr. Kosit said US ambassador Ralph Boyce Jr. on Tuesday led senior executives from 10 leading American firms to meet with him and Deputy Industry Minister Piyabutr Cholvijarn regarding investment in Thailand.

The deputy prime minister said that none of the American companies planned to reduce or postpone

their investment here.

US industrial giant Dow Chemical has expressed interest in increasing investment in five more petro-chemical projects in Thailand and urged the industry ministry to help smooth the way, Mr. Kosit said.

Combined investment in the projects amounts to US$1-2 billion.

--TNA 2007-06-14

BoI intensifies overseas lobbying of foreign investors

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's government-related Board of Investment (BoI) is intensifying

its role in explaining the country abroad, and this month begins a new thrust explaining the current situation in Thailand to investors overseas in a bid to restore foreign investment confidence, according to Deputy Prime Minister and Industry Minister Kosit Panpiemras.

The government must explain to investors that the country's political issues would be only short-term, said Mr. Kosit. Discussions had been held with BoI officials and they would have to work harder.

BoI officials will travelling later this month to 'sell' Thailand as being in a transition period towards a general election that will clarify the future in a positive way, and that there are no further obstacles to affect the country's economic fundamentals, he said.

Mr. Kosit said US ambassador Ralph Boyce Jr. on Tuesday led senior executives from 10 leading American firms to meet with him and Deputy Industry Minister Piyabutr Cholvijarn regarding investment in Thailand.

The deputy prime minister said that none of the American companies planned to reduce or postpone

their investment here.

US industrial giant Dow Chemical has expressed interest in increasing investment in five more petro-chemical projects in Thailand and urged the industry ministry to help smooth the way, Mr. Kosit said.

Combined investment in the projects amounts to US$1-2 billion.

--TNA 2007-06-14

Oh, i see everything is ok then - just a bad dream :o

My goodness, what a poisened chalice of a job!

Right, here goes the pitch:

So Mr CEO, you are concerned that investing in Thailand would be risky?

Well, I can reassure you that everything is fine, nothing to worry about, apart from being under military dictatorship, imminent threats of another Coup d'etat, death threats against former leaders, ruinous currency control measures and uncompetitive rate, crashing share prices, violence in the South, a bombing campaign in the capital within the last 6-months, downward growth YOY and prejections, disarray over whether you can actually own your investment if you are a foreigner...

CEO - what about the rumour that the capital (and new airport) will be under water in 10-years?

Is that the time? I must be off...

Edited by bkkandrew

Well, I can reassure you that everything is fine, nothing to worry about, apart from being under military dictatorship, imminent threats of another Coup d'etat, death threats against former leaders, ruinous currency control measures and uncompetitive rate, crashing share prices, violence in the South, a bombing campaign in the capital within the last 6-months, downward growth YOY and prejections, disarray over whether you can actually own your investment if you are a foreigner...

CEO - what about the rumour that the capital (and new airport) will be under water in 10-years?

No, no!  wake up man, its all been a bad dream. Were you not listening everthing is fine :o

No, no!  wake up man, its all been a bad dream. Were you not listening everthing is fine :D

Perhaps that is what the hapless soul left to carry out this hard sell will say to the CEOs! :o

CEO - what about the rumour that the capital (and new airport) will be under water in 10-years

So, everything in order eh? :o

This guy should have been present at the recent 'property overseas show' held in London recently.

Seems like nobody there was paying attention, as not one person was persuaded to buy a second home in

Thailand.  No trouble here man - just gossip, its all sorted :o

..oh, and finally, whatever way you work within our system we will retain 51% ownership!

"What you mean it's not an attractive option..??"

..oh, and finally, whatever way you work within our system we will retain 51% ownership!

JR Texas: Same BS........another turn of an Everly Brothers tune........Dream, dream, dream, dream.......dream, dream, dream, dream.......

Seriously.....they continue to focus on MNCs (they only create a few jobs)......fine, but they are going to Vietnam........the smart thing to do would be to focus on small scale investment (the sector where most jobs are created) by foreigners.......open up the market to them (visa a major change in the visa/business rules) and real growth and job creation will occur.

But that will take a major shift in thinking and that requires the ability to think, so.........dream, dream, dream, dream........dream, dream, dream, dream.........

:o:D:D 'nough said

JR Texas: Same BS........another turn of an Everly Brothers tune........Dream, dream, dream, dream.......dream, dream, dream, dream.......

Seriously.....they continue to focus on MNCs (they only create a few jobs)......fine, but they are going to Vietnam........the smart thing to do would be to focus on small scale investment (the sector where most jobs are created) by foreigners.......open up the market to them (visa a major change in the visa/business rules) and real growth and job creation will occur.

But that will take a major shift in thinking and that requires the ability to think, so.........dream, dream, dream, dream........dream, dream, dream, dream.........

What, you mean actually let foreigners many married to and supporting Thai wives be allowed to do other work than teach English for a pittance? Allow foreigners to own anything other than a minority stake in a bar they can't even serve in? I'm afraid we will be well into a downturn by the time rules are finallly changed and when the world emerges from recession Vietnam will be the new kid on the block for foreign investment.

Incorrect, 100% foreign owned manufacturing firms can own freehold land in registered industrial estates and if promoted by the BOI they can even own land outside. Foreign investors are even permitted to own hotels (of no less than 100 rooms) if promoted by the BOI, and many do and are still buying.

Edited by quiksilva

Incorrect, 100% foreign owned manufacturing firms can own freehold land in registered industrial estates and if promoted by the BOI they can even own land outside. Foreign investors are even permitted to own hotels (of no less than 100 rooms) if promoted by the BOI, and many do and are still buying.

Yes.....at the moment they can.But it takes a sizeable investment into a country with laws and government changing like the wind....what would you do with your sizeable investment fund?

The availability of venture capital, private equity and angel equity is the primary driver of entrepreneurial new businesses. If you look at the last few years, almost all the VC funds have withdrawn from Thailand and the VC environment has virtually dried up. This is not a good sign.

The availability of venture capital, private equity and angel equity is the primary driver of entrepreneurial new businesses. If you look at the last few years, almost all the VC funds have withdrawn from Thailand and the VC environment has virtually dried up. This is not a good sign.

why would Thailand even be on the radar screen now when India and China and even Vietnam

offer equally exciting opportunites - and are not likely to change the rules every 5 minutues ?

Yes.....at the moment they can.But it takes a sizeable investment into a country with laws and government changing like the wind....what would you do with your sizeable investment fund?

I can only comment on my experience. We sold four sizeable (i.e. 2000-10,000 sqm) factories this month to newcomers (Japan and Australia) and to existing firms expanding their operations, we also leased a 17,000 sqm warehouse to an MNC to support their expansion, and have new requirements on a daily basis. Hotels have also been transacting on Phuket (to foreigners).

As I have been saying for some time the market is slow there is no denying that but it is far from dead, ask around. Vietnam is interesting to many, but infrastructure and red tape is still a major cause for concern amongst the investors that I talk to.

I can only comment on my experience. We sold four sizeable (i.e. 2000-10,000 sqm) factories this month to newcomers (Japan and Australia) and to existing firms expanding their operations, we also leased a 17,000 sqm warehouse to an MNC to support their expansion, and have new requirements on a daily basis. Hotels have also been transacting on Phuket (to foreigners).

As I have been saying for some time the market is slow there is no denying that but it is far from dead, ask around. Vietnam is interesting to many, but infrastructure and red tape is still a major cause for concern amongst the investors that I talk to.

No red tape in Thailand then :o

Anyway you miss the point of risk due to instability. And what about smaller buisnesses.

Naturally, you would have to promote the most positive aspects with having existing interests -

as biast as they may seem to otheres.

Just because you are familiar with the red tape in Thailand doesnt make it any less daunting to

potential new investers. It is a hard sell and you must know it . The stigma of instability and

flip floping of policies doesnt just go away overnight. People are not dumb (investors) and

they follow the script.

Edited by observer21

Well, if it's not a pretty sight it may not be a problem! Theres a good chance that even if you get hold of your 49% of your business, you may not be able to stay in the country as the Labour Department ARE singing from a different hymn sheet, as ARE Immigration, as are the old men in uniforms ruining running the country.

"More money than sense? We have the investments for you!" New BOI slogan!

Edited by Dupont

Oh, i see.  but what happens if they change their mind. You know like the next BOI guy, or new PM or Junta or even same guy changes his mind.  And what kind of buisiness would the BOI like to promote today.  I would imagine only bigger buisiness.  Goes in hand with the way of thinking re. tourism - lower class tourists not really desirable.  (Not more than a 100 rooms - best keep

the numbers simple so as not to confuse :o )

Also what about the strong baht - what happens when the wheel comes off and bang

34 becomes 54 ($) big potential loss.  Come on man who you selling to :D

LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION (instability = bad location) (hostillity = bad location) (anti ferang sentiment = bad location) etc etc. etc.

Edited by observer21