Transfer ownership to Thai wife.

adv008

Hello.

Can anyone help me with two questions. I have owned a vehicle since new here in Thailand for five Years. I would like to transfer ownership of the vehicle to my Thai wife. I under that I'd I gift the car to her then there is no duty/tax to pay at the DLT station where the paperwork is completed. We live at the same address so really it's just changing the name on the log book.  Can anyone confirm this and a source where it's written so if I need to show someone I can.

Second question is Can I still carry on paying for first class insurance on the vehicle and drive it even though its not in my name anymore. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thank you. 

Yes, sound correct, and yes on insurance, as long as listed to drive on policy.  Policy can be owner only, list of drivers, or any driver, depending what you stipulate & pay for.

Edited by KhunLA

Both parties turn up at the transport office with their ID and the blue book and the transfer should take under an hour depending on how busy they are. No tax when transferred as a gift.

After the gifting, roojai were happy to let me continue to be listed as the first driver and my wife as second driver (only two drivers listed) but they recommended that upon policy renewal, I should swap driver #1 and driver #2 which I did a few months back.

• Thanks 1