Diesel to Veg oil Conversion Kit?

BBJ

Back in the UK I converted my Mitsu L200 Animal to run on veg oil which it did fine.  Are there any such kits available in Thailand? I have a Mazda BT50 2.2 2019.  I am aware these kits run better on older diesels but I am curious.    I was considering electric but selling my car on to someone else to use and buy a new vehicle doesn't workout planet saving wise.  Not a member of extinction rebellion btw.   My truck only has 30,000km and will keep it for a while for my motorbike.  

• Like 1

The old chap who takes away the used oil from the family restaurant (he pays for it, 15 years ago we paid him to take it away) mixes it 50-50 with pump diesel and runs his old indirect-injection Nissan pickup on it. He also sells to the local farmers who run the Kubota Iron-Buffaloes on it. Yes, the exhausts smell of fried fish.

I'm not sure I'd want to be doing that with a common-rail diesel mind. IIRC the conversion kits concentrate on getting the viscosity to a level the engine can handle by warming the oil, not so necessary in the tropics.

• Like 1

How much oil do you actually have access to?

It might be better to find a chap like ours who will pay for it and let him do the green bit leaving your expensive engine to live another day.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

We have a Fortuner, I believe it is 'Common Rail' but I have no idea what that means, anyone help me understand ?? Thanks ????

Wikipedia is your friend https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_rail

In a nutshell, don't put anything in the tank that's not pump diesel unless you know exactly what you are doing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Diesel engines have moved on a long way, the common rail thing, fuel injection has become more complex, filtering is essential to keep the modern fuel delivery system good, so I reckon there will be a lot more to it using KFC waste...????

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

We have a Fortuner, I believe it is 'Common Rail' but I have no idea what that means, anyone help me understand ?? Thanks ????

It's made by Toyota who recommend diesel fuel.

Running a Bht 1.5M vehicle on chip fat.   555555

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Don't worry, I'm not about to, I can afford to pay for diesel ????

I can afford to take the risk.  It's my motorbike toy.

There's a company in the US that does a kit that works well on modern trucks.  Couldn't comment on mine as he wasn't familiar with a 2.2 Mazda.

Edited by BBJ

16 hours ago, transam said:

Diesel engines have moved on a long way, the common rail thing, fuel injection has become more complex, filtering is essential to keep the modern fuel delivery system good, so I reckon there will be a lot more to it using KFC waste...????

Yeah - contrary to popular belief there is quite a significant amount of "fluid" in these oils. At very least once filtered you need to let them rest for a day to separate the fat (oil) for the moisture