Help Finding A Cooking Burner!

cneuy3

I've only got a microwave in my place. I'm looking to buy some kind of portable burner so I can or my girlfriend can cook some food from the apartment. Any ideas?

I know they sell them at Centon but don't remember the price. Probably more expensive there. Any ideas?

I've only got a microwave in my place. I'm looking to buy some kind of portable burner so I can or my girlfriend can cook some food from the apartment. Any ideas?

I know they sell them at Centon but don't remember the price. Probably more expensive there. Any ideas?

Why don't we meet at Thapae Gate at 4 pm then I can hold your hand and we can visit some of the many hundreds of shops that sell these items.

Is your girlfriend Thai?

Why don't we meet at Thapae Gate at 4 pm then I can hold your hand and we can visit some of the many hundreds of shops that sell these items.

Not exactly helpful nor a proper way to greet a new member. <_ there could be any number of reasons why he doesn know where to find them and is asking for assistance.>

There are a couple of types (1-2-burner tabletop). One that uses the large Butane tanks that you can rent but you will need to verify with the place (if a condo) if they are allowed. The other type is also one or two burner with cartridges that you buy and use. The latter will cost more to operate due to the cost of the cartridges. These can be found in most of the larger super stores such as Tesco Lotus. The butane tank version run around 1000-1500 Baht at Tesco.

An alternative is an electric wok which works well frying/cooking with. There are also electric hot plates that can do the same job and also located at these places.

"Why don't we meet at Thapae Gate at 4 pm then I can hold your hand and we can visit some of the many hundreds of shops that sell these items.

Is your girlfriend Thai?"

Yeah, I give that one an 'Ouch!' too, Blinky. Sometimes you just can't wait to ambush. On the other hand you raise a good point about the gf. Just certainly without the 'smoothing of the edges' that would help most people.

Some Falang are very confused when they get here, and though to someone who is an old hand, things seem obvious, to the nebwie it's a jungle out there. But as to solutions, yeah, be the gf a Thai gf, you should just let her take you out to go grab one - go by Tuk Tuk or Rot Daeng. She will know where. They're bound to have them at Warorot by day, or Thanin off Chang Puak as well. You can look for the little indoor hot plates or the gas set-up that you can use out on the balcony. You will be surpirsed how the girl manages to prepare, cook, and clean up after food all on the balcony. And that's right next to the laundry! Very efficient in small spaces they are.

Is your girlfriend Thai?

Umm. I've never stated I don't know where to find them. I state in my OP that I already know where to get them at Centon but rather than price shop all day throughout Chiang Mai I thought I'd make a post on this forum where someone who has done the work already can post helpful suggestions for the best places to look. I'm not much of a shopper and prefer to get in and get out if possible. With so many second hand things in Thailand I was sure there were better places to buy a burner than a major department store and just wanted a few places to look RATHER THAN THE MANY HUNDREDS OF SHOPS that you suggest in your reply.

Make sense?

Not exactly helpful nor a proper way to greet a new member. <_< There could be any number of reasons why he doesn't know where to find them and is asking for assistance.

There are a couple of types (1-2-burner tabletop). One that uses the large Butane tanks that you can rent but you will need to verify with the place (if a condo) if they are allowed. The other type is also one or two burner with cartridges that you buy and use. The latter will cost more to operate due to the cost of the cartridges. These can be found in most of the larger super stores such as Tesco Lotus. The butane tank version run around 1000-1500 Baht at Tesco.

An alternative is an electric wok which works well frying/cooking with. There are also electric hot plates that can do the same job and also located at these places.

I would imagine these type would be unsuitable due to the fact that they will be used in a confined space. But it would depend on the cooking area or space ie outdoor balcony area perhaps?

we bought a twin burner for 1600Baht from Carrefour- Zannussi brand- quite good.

good luck.

ps dont let some of these posters get under your skin, under their tough outer shells theyre teddybears really :o

(well most BGs think so) :D

What is Centon?

Thai pronunciation of Central shopping center.

hmmmm. The OP isn't Thai is he?

Anyhow, as he lives in an apartment, and would likely have even more difficulties finding replacement gas canisters, I suggest he go electric. Can be fond at Warorot, Big C, Tesco/Lotus, Carreour, Niyom Panich, etc

Edited by lannarebirth

What is Centon?

Thai pronunciation of Central shopping center.

Anyhow, as he lives in an apartment, and would likely have even more difficulties finding replacement gas canisters, I suggest he go electric. Can be fond at Warorot, Big C, Tesco/Lotus, Carreour, Niyom Panich, etc

no, hes probably just parroted his g/fs pronouciation of "Central"

Don't know, but that's the way I pronounce it (farang) and everyone (Thai) I've heard pronounce it if they want to get there. :o I used to try and use Central but usually got a glazed look from the tuk-tuk or sawng taew driver, so I just followed how the Thais pronounced it and had no problems since. I found it strange for sometime also why they say it that way, believe it is the 'r' in the middle being difficult for them. Plus look at the Thai spelling and you can also see why.

Anyway, Central/Centon will be somewhat more expensive but they will have all the listed items if the OP has no money issues.

I have a Kendo brand single burner hotplate. 6 settings, #6 is like 1500 watts. Made in Thailand but with a German heating element. A solid unit. I DID buy it at Central Kad Suan Kaew for some fiendishly expensive price (I recall about 1400) but I have used it almost daily for a year, it takes up little space, and I don't have to worry about leaking gas blowing up my apt bldg.... :o

Edited by mcgriffith

when i lived in a condo i had a small gas burner out on the balcony.It was a twin plate which i bought from Siam TV and cost around 900 bhat i think....Some buildings will not let you have gas in the room so check first.Siam tv have a good range of electric and gas stoves.

P.S why is it when "Newbies" ask genuine questions regarding Chiangmai, they are often patronized or told to look elsewhere? They want to know things about Chiangmai but are given the brush off.Shame. Still, if they want to know why some of the Aussies got their nick names, or how drunk some of the expats were last night, they came to the right place.

when i lived in a condo i had a small gas burner out on the balcony.It was a twin plate which i bought from Siam TV and cost around 900 bhat i think....Some buildings will not let you have gas in the room so check first.Siam tv have a good range of electric and gas stoves.

P.S why is it when "Newbies" ask genuine questions regarding Chiangmai, they are often patronized or told to look elsewhere? They want to know things about Chiangmai but are given the brush off.Shame. Still, if they want to know why some of the Aussies got their nick names, or how drunk some of the expats were last night, they came to the right place.

:o:D:D so true

Ended up settling for a decent electric double pan cooker for ~1000baht at Tesco Lotus. They seemed to have a very wide selection and I'm happy with the price I got on the appliance. Also bought a "rice cooker". The girlfriend says she will be able to cook just about everything with these two machines which will be nice. Thank you all for the suggestions.

Well done mate.Id say you got a pretty good deal there....you will be amazed what your G/F will be able to russle up.Enjoy!....one thing you might want to get , more for her benefit, is a " bok-bok" so she can have her somtam and nam prik :o