Milli: Thailand’s dissident rapper serves a bittersweet message for government

webfact

Milli-profile_web.jpg

OPINION | By Thai PBS World’s General Desk

Thai teen rapper Danupha “Milli” Khanatheerakul, who made global headlines by eating mango sticky rice on a US stage recently, is pursuing not just a music career but also ambitions to make Thailand a better place.

And this young woman will not stop fighting for her beliefs, even after being slapped with a defamation complaint by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha last year.

Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

“No, I don’t hate my homeland,” the 19-year-old once said. “I speak up because I love it. I don’t want to see others looking down on my country.”

Targeting Thai corruption

On April 17, Milli became the first solo artist from Thailand to perform at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival. This international indie music and arts extravaganza has been held in California every year since 1999, except for a two-year break during the COVID-19 crisis.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/milli-thailands-dissident-rapper-serves-a-bittersweet-message-for-government/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-04-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

“No, I don’t hate my homeland,” the 19-year-old once said. “I speak up because I love it. I don’t want to see others looking down on my country.”

Brave words coming from a celeb that many will follow.

Prayut will be watching you closely, with a reminder that those that rise can fall.

• Like 1