Jump to content

Government school not paying last month of contract.


Recommended Posts

asking for a friend.  I saw his contract.   from (whenever, forget) until the end of April.   WP expires same date.

 

School said that he didn't teach in April, no salary.  They said that in March, I believe.  They offered him another contract, and he signed it.  

 

He told me his school asked him about payment for April and that maybe he'll get a few thousand.  That seems very strange to me, and I'm not sure the entire conversation.   

 

I told him if he presses this he could get paid, and then lose his current job.   I was a teacher many years ago, and I always thought gov't schools paid all the time.   Is this normal?

 

Can he wait until the end of this contract and then ask about money from last contract with the labor department?

 

or simply realize a contract is not really a contract and just forget about it.  

 

I like teacher drama, so I told him I'll post it here.    

 

Did I have problems with a contract in the past?  Yes, maybe 7 years ago.   The school really had most of the power.   But it wasn't a gov't school.

 

anyhow.......

Link to post
Share on other sites

A contract is a contract and can't be changed one sided. With problems tell them that you will ask the Labor department for help. If this doesn't help, do go there. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Was it a 12 month or a 10-month contract ?  School is closed sometime in March until May, For example I am on a 10-month contract, So no or partial pay in March then no salary until school starts in May.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, thaitom said:

Was it a 12 month or a 10-month contract ?  School is closed sometime in March until May, For example I am on a 10-month contract, So no or partial pay in March then no salary until school starts in May.

No offense, but I'm not sure that matters.   

 

The contract was for X months, and one of the months included in X number was not paid.

 

I think it was 10 or 11........and the contract said it would end at the END of April.  April was not paid.  No school in April, but is that the teacher's problem?  that's not how contracts work.  

 

If your contract states those terms you mentioned, and you signed it, great.  both sides understand.  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

No offense, but I'm not sure that matters.   

 

The contract was for X months, and one of the months included in X number was not paid.

 

I think it was 10 or 11........and the contract said it would end at the END of April.  April was not paid.  No school in April, but is that the teacher's problem?  that's not how contracts work.  

 

If your contract states those terms you mentioned, and you signed it, great.  both sides understand.  

 

 

I agree, if the contract says it ends the last day of April then I would also expect to be paid, working or not.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's difficult to say.  The schools I am involved with operate year around and have a summer session.  There are breaks between the start of the summer session and afterwards.   Teachers are required to work the summer session every other year.  Teachers sometimes don't want to work and will forego the April salary.  There are usually more teachers than are needed.  

 

Your friend should probably consult an attorney or the labor department.   It's hard to say without seeing the contract.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

my friend said he won't go to the labor department unless he's ready to leave and work somewhere else.  The contract is very basic, start and end date, no mention of anything special.  no mention of no pay, forego salary, or anything.  He said he has talked to the school, and there is no chance his salary will magically appear.  It's either forget about it, or labor department.  

 

He's very young, in his early 30's, from the UK and in demand.  I didn't give him advice, it's not my life.  I can see a teacher staying, and I can see a teacher going to the Labor department.  Bottom line:  It's not life-changing money, but it's the principle.   Of course, going to the labor department might be fun for me, but very stressful for him.   is 30,000 or something worth all that?  no idea.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/29/2022 at 10:05 PM, Scott said:

It's difficult to say.  The schools I am involved with operate year around and have a summer session.  There are breaks between the start of the summer session and afterwards.   Teachers are required to work the summer session every other year.  Teachers sometimes don't want to work and will forego the April salary.  There are usually more teachers than are needed.  

 

Your friend should probably consult an attorney or the labor department.   It's hard to say without seeing the contract.  

 

What a horrible place to work.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...