Non-o Visa

Was asked this question My friend just received from Embassy in Denver 3 entry tourist visa valid

until Nov 12/07. He will arrive in Chiang Mai July 4th and is set to marry his girl friend in Aug.

Not wanting to go back to US to apply for Non-O visa based on his marriage to a Thai. What embassy

would be the best for him to apply? And what is needed for this process?

Was asked this question My friend just received from Embassy in Denver 3 entry tourist visa valid

until Nov 12/07. He will arrive in Chiang Mai July 4th and is set to marry his girl friend in Aug.

Not wanting to go back to US to apply for Non-O visa based on his marriage to a Thai. What embassy

would be the best for him to apply? And what is needed for this process?

Once he is married he can go ( with the new wife and her ID, marriage papers, and house registration book ) to Immigration and convert his tourist visa to a Non-Immigrant O visa based on support. If he is able to demonstrate a 40,000 baht a month income, he can apply for annual extensions.

I am hoping I am on the right thread. There's a lot of great advice here.

I am Canadian 61 years old married for 3 years to a Thai lady. Presently teaching on a non Imm 'B' visa with 3 years extensions of permission to stay etc.

When we got married, I asked my company personnel (visa dept) to see if Immigration would change my visa from Non Imm. 'B' to Non Imm 'O' based on my age etc (at that time (B200,000) in Thai bank. They said "No problem" as I showed B200,000 in Thai bank at that time..

However at the next annual renewal of stay, immigration switched it back to a Non Imm. 'B' saying that as I was working, it should be a "B".

I plan to retire from teaching at end of Feb 2008. I can easily meet the B40,000 a month income requirement but am confused as to whether this has to be proven going into a Canadian Bank account or does the equivalent of B40,000 have to be transferred from Canada to Thailand every month?

I assume that even though I was married in 2004 and did have one Non Imm.'O' , that I do not qualify for the B400,000 in bank option?

Any help much appreciated.

1. One strike and your out. You were not using the 400k last October so no going back to that.

2. We have not had enough reports to have a good handle on what Immigration wants (if there is really one thing) using the 40k overseas income. Some have had to prove monthly transfers into Thai account it seems.

3. Another option would be the higher 65k requirement of retirement but that could be a combination of the 40+ you have as pension and a local bank account in your name. This method should not require monthly transfers.