Fewer Tourists To Previous Years

Do you think there have been less tourists coming to Samui over the last 6 months in comparison to previous years?

If this is the case, what reasons would you give?

Costs of flights to USM, Not enough publicity,

Concern about possible threats or terrorism and unrest,

Negative publicity about Samui and Thailand in general.

Do you think there have been less tourists coming to Samui over the last 6 months in comparison to previous years?

Most low cost and medium cost places seem to be 80-100% full, The high end seems to be suffering.

Yes, Business in general is down on the island.

Don't know why.

I also noted that there were a lot of flight cancellation by Bangkok Airways on their website this morning????

Have a Great Day

Samuislander

I think this subject was exhausted in a previous thread only a few months ago

Point taken, but if there are less tourists some of the reasons may be more apparent.

Its the low season.

How does this "low Season" compare to previous "low seasons".

Are there more tourists.

I think this subject was exhausted in a previous thread only a few months ago

Point taken, but if there are less tourists some of the reasons may be more apparent.

Its the low season.

How does this "low Season" compare to previous "low seasons".

Are there more tourists.

]

I don't know about Samui but for Phangan I'd have to say its a bit lower, but not that much. People also forget from year to year just how dead it gets in the low season. So, every new low season they complain about how dead it is compared to last year when, in fact, its probably about the same.

Thats the thread. I was in the US at the time, so had no first hand experience. I am back and have to say, that at least now (which is a month later), things seem no deader than this time last year. But then, I have a frame of reference. I go visit my family every year about the same time, so can compare pre-visit to post-visit. :o

Yes yes yes and yes would be my answer to your questions. Also may I add that I recently returned from a trip to the Andaman Sea resorts not just Phuket and I can confirm Samui has the worst infrastructure out of any resort destination I have visited in Thailand.

Unfortunately the type of tourist has changed and they do not consider flooding, 3rd world roads etc quaint or charming when they are paying 8000 THb rtn to get here and 5000+ per night for their hotel room.

I do not buy the arguement that it is low season or that people are simply more spread out then before as there are more hotels bars etc.

just go to Chaweng and breath through your nose :o:D

Low season is low season, but the smell and the expensive Baht dont help !! and who wants to drive around in a construction side on their holidays ??

Sorry you are quite right I forgot about the smell of the sewers in Chaweng!

There is plenty of construction going on in Phuket, Khao Lak etc but it is all well planned and regulated i.e. the view and access to the beaches are not blocked by hotels they remain the main focus point of the destination it seems someone forgot to tell the planners that here.

Yes yes yes and yes would be my answer to your questions. Also may I add that I recently returned from a trip to the Andaman Sea resorts not just Phuket and I can confirm Samui has the worst infrastructure out of any resort destination I have visited in Thailand.

Unfortunately the type of tourist has changed and they do not consider flooding, 3rd world roads etc quaint or charming when they are paying 8000 THb rtn to get here and 5000+ per night for their hotel room.

I do not buy the arguement that it is low season or that people are simply more spread out then before as there are more hotels bars etc.

just go to Chaweng and breath through your nose :o:D

Low season is low season, but the smell and the expensive Baht dont help !! and who wants to drive around in a construction side on their holidays ??

just go to Chaweng and breath through your nose :D:D

Sorry you are quite right I forgot about the smell of the sewers in Chaweng!

There is plenty of construction going on in Phuket, Khao Lak etc but it is all well planned and regulated i.e. the view and access to the beaches are not blocked by hotels they remain the main focus point of the destination it seems someone forgot to tell the planners that here.

There is something called coming of age.Sorry but the adminidtration is running out of ex uses.Samui infrastructure? KPG? THE buble is bursting.

Edited by Rooo

Samui is a great "koh" and be worth one's while to visit this earthly paradise!

Unfortunately, the TAT (Tourism Aut. Thai.) snob Samui and promote much more others thai islands like Phuket, koh Chang and Pattaya also. This marketing-strategy is not totally fair (if you try to organize a internal trip in BKk, most of Agencies will say "Samui isn't a good place compared to Phuket or K.Chang or Pattaya" or "Samuis weather is not good"). TAT don't realize that in Europe i.e. the brookers promotes only Phuket, Gold triangle adn Pattaya. This mistake damages directly Koh Samui and neighbours... . I can't believe that tourists snub Koh Samui because of expensive island or for "safety" reasons.

Surely the web promotion/ information is insufficent !!! Samui TV is not relevant as media tool and there isn't appropriate media (newspapers ? News providers via web?) that could help or suggests to plan self-serviced travel..(Sawa X X X . XXm isn't fair i.e.). .

My friends (restaurants owner in Chaweng) reported earning loss ratio of 40% compaired to prev.year !!!! Usually they used to work "hard" for 4 months (July-August-December-January) and with that earnings they could survive for all the year.... Let's see what will happens this year.... .

Of course they N.E.E.D. a help from T.A.T. too....! ¨! ! !

PS : I L O V E S A M U I more than the others countries(believe in me, a lot of them are not amazing like Samui) visited (I mean not only Thai places...all around the world)

Manu Chao

Koh Chang and Phuket are more expensives compared to Samui.

I recently conducted research on the major competing beach resort destinations of Thailand for an international magazine and the biggest point raised about Samui was lack of infrastructure in comparison to growth.

Phuket and Pattaya won in overall opinions as better destinations for educated travellers.

Khall64au said: Phuket and Pattaya won in overall opinions as better destinations for educated travellers.

Consistent ! It 's the same if you compare BKK vs Chonburi !!!! ...but it's not relevant, in my opinion (T.A.T. strategies are most relevant than the "size" of the compared place....)

MK

I recently conducted research on the major competing beach resort destinations of Thailand for an international magazine and the biggest point raised about Samui was lack of infrastructure in comparison to growth.

Phuket and Pattaya won in overall opinions as better destinations for educated travellers.

Lack of infrastructure for "educated" tourists? Quite frankly, I don't think they give a sh*t. When I was corporate, we chose destination and the best 5-star acccommodations.

My friends (restaurants owner in Chaweng) reported earning loss ratio of 40% compaired to prev.year !!!! Usually they used to work "hard" for 4 months (July-August-December-January) and with that earnings they could survive for all the year.... Let's see what will happens this year.... .

Of course they N.E.E.D. a help from T.A.T. too....! ¨! ! !

PS : I L O V E S A M U I more than the others countries(believe in me, a lot of them are not amazing like Samui) visited (I mean not only Thai places...all around the world)

Manu Chao

Koh Chang and Phuket are more expensives compared to Samui.

I agree that samui without any doubt much nicer than phuket. But Two factor affecting samui business which the "restaurants owner in Chaweng" forgeting :

1- Tsunami recovery: I remember i was in phuket after Tsunami, i heard that Samui is packed with Tourist while no body in phuket, most probably tour agents in foreign countries, as well in bangkok

recommanding and booked people for samui, in worry of any disease or corpses remaing in phuket beachs at that time

2-It costs nearly 3,000 bhat more, to get to samui than phuket. Samui has two class of tourist: Rich and backpackers, less middle class tourist. Rich one choose air, and BPs use bus or air to suratthani, then from DonSak by ferry to samui.

70% tourist to thailand are middle buget, given the options as first time visitor to thailand, most probably they decide for phuket.

Edited by BKKDUDE

There is something called coming of age.Sorry but the adminidtration is running out of ex uses.Samui infrastructure? KPG? THE buble is bursting.

not sure if you can say there is a KPG bubble to burst yet. it is still much better value for money than samui with 1/4 of the crap.

as for low season, you havent seen dead until you have seen chloklam in june.

I love it.

not sure if you can say there is a KPG bubble to burst yet. it is still much better value for money than samui with 1/4 of the crap.

as for low season, you havent seen dead until you have seen chloklam in june.

I love it.

it maybe low season but if you offer something good or different like the islander,murphys,christys these places are all packed night after night ,if you offer connect4 janga you are going to starve :o

Lack of infrastructure for "educated" tourists? Quite frankly, I don't think they give a sh*t. When I was corporate, we chose destination and the best 5-star acccommodations.

I agree that is why Samui as a destination for corporates comes a poor second when you compare to Phuket!

Do you mean fewer tourists coming to Samui?

Most low cost and medium cost places seem to be 80-100% full

Uh, yeah, right... :o

One reason:

You can, for example, get a package from the UK to Phuket with accommodation included that is cheaper than the airfare alone to Samui.

My thoughts for what it is worth.

Samui has some beautiful spots. When it targeted the backpacker type visitors staying in 500 Baht a night bungalows it did well.

Now it only wants high quality visistors staying in 4-6 thousand Baht plus a night resorts.

These people are not happy with crap roads, floods, rip off taxis, high costs to get here etc.

I think this is a big part of it. This is my second time here after a 12 year hiatus, and Samui has moved from charming semi-remote paradise to a complete mish-mash with no proper planning. I see heaps of money being spend on individual developments (and quite frankly some that look to be going no-where anyway, how many more empty mini-retail areas are they going to keep building before they realise there are no tenants) and nothing on the infrastructure. I personally dont care too much but yeah, for someone spending big money for a luxury holiday in the sun, its a shit hole and an embarassment.

Rebuilding of places like Phuket also undoubtedly has an impact. But also there is too much "stuff" here. Endless restaurants, shops, bars etc which are no different from the rest are also going to make the place seem more empty. How many tailors do they need here - how many people come to an island in the sun with the intention of buying an Armani knock-off? How many stalls do they need all selling the exact same merchandise at 3 times the BKK price? Do we really need so many restaurants with the exact same signage and menu albeit in a different name? Its obvious everyones hopped on the bandwagon with the ethos of "if we build it, they will come" without actually trying to give the place its own desireable flavour.

Most low cost and medium cost places seem to be 80-100% full

Uh, yeah, right... :o

One reason:

You can, for example, get a package from the UK to Phuket with accommodation included that is cheaper than the airfare alone to Samui.

Are you saying that a couple can get a package deal from the UK to Phuket for £250-£260.

Please tell who is offering such a deal as I will book a package for my folks.