Earthquake 12.08 Pm Cm

PeaceBlondie

Magnitude of earthquakes is marked by duration amongst other things. This one lasted maybe 1-2 seconds. If you have comcern about earthquakes in this region, I seriously suggest you make a plan for what you would do if a more serious quake were to occur.

Maybe we could pool our knowledge on this forum to give a few clues to people who may not know what to do?

It is obviously not a good idea for people on high floors to go for the lift, for example.

I have been told that the use of "triangles" is helpful. This means that you don't get under anything that could fall on you but rather try to wedge yourself into spaces between two high objects so that falling debris is more likely to fall on the higher stuff than on your head.

Anyone else?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite a rattler, but short. My wife moved from the 2nd to the 1st floor in less than 3 seconds and even managed to grab the laptop and take it with her. :o We moved to Chiang Mai 18 months ago and since then the earth keeps shaking every few months. I wonder, is that business as usual?

Cheers, X-Pat

Yes, loud thunderlike sound here in midtown, as other midtowners mention - no sound mentioned by posters from the outer districts. Could this mean a pretty local quake?

I was at Lanna Hosp at the time of the first rattler...... getting a new supply of anti-flatulence tablets.....

about 2 minutes after the first rumble, did any one feel a second shaker ??????

Gonzo

Read some report about a year ago that said Chiang Mai had the "Possibility" to experience up to a 4.5 magnitude quake. I don't think there are any major faults near here and don't think that we have to prepare for 'The Big One'... But I'm not a seismologist and don't know how well this area has really been 'mapped'.

Anyway, I think that frequent small ones are good... better than having a massive amount of energy being stored up, imho.

I live just outside Super Highway near Ping River, and it was a sharp jolt lasting a couple of seconds. Got my attention and heart rate up.

Read some report about a year ago that said Chiang Mai had the "Possibility" to experience up to a 4.5 magnitude quake. I don't think there are any major faults near here and don't think that we have to prepare for 'The Big One'... But I'm not a seismologist and don't know how well this area has really been 'mapped'.

marchLG.gif

Would the USGS of reported this quake as well? What is the chances it was not a quake but a powerful explosion?

Quite a good one actually.

The Thai government doesn't want any further reasons for people not to visit the realm do they.

You can feel the shock wave of a decent explosion over several (at least 15 - 20) kilometres.

When I heard / felt, the whomph that was my immediate thought (that it was an explosion)

But I have been known to be wrong before......

Edited by john b good

Yes, loud thunderlike sound here in midtown, as other midtowners mention - no sound mentioned by posters from the outer districts. Could this mean a pretty local quake?

I was at Lanna Hosp at the time of the first rattler...... getting a new supply of anti-flatulence tablets.....

Gonzo

Ah so it was your fault was it - didn't think it was an earthquake :o

CB

For me, one of the safest places you can be, is to run outside and get in the car. Mine is under a metal carport, which should protect against light debris falling. Also protects agains falling electric wires, which is really the only thing I'm worried about.

Super Highway Mae Rim road junction..........no rumblings, no warning, no aftershock...Just one big thump that moved a CRT monitor across the desk and rattled all the windows, which was more reminiscent of a 115mm Howitzer round going off round the corner.....

i felt it on the fifth floor.felt like the building was sat on top of a huge silicon implant.kind of soothing.

felt the same as when i was in kamala,phuket a couple of hours before the tsunami.

Would the USGS of reported this quake as well? What is the chances it was not a quake but a powerful explosion?

The chances are much greater that it was Gonzo's flatulance that we felt than an explosion.

Unless it was an explosion deep underground... No sonic shock wave here.

Thanks for the map chuchok... appears we're near a generalized plate boundry... So perhaps chances of something big happening are possible... all the more reason to like the little one that relieve the stress build up.

Gonzo

Ah so it was your fault was it - didn't think it was an earthquake :o

CB

OK CB ...I'll fess up.... It was me..... but not my "FAULT"..... Depending on what side of the globe you are on........ a hurricane may be a typhoon...... a cyclone a tornado..... California has "fault", the San Andreas...... here on this side of the world its GAP ....

In this case THE GREAT GONZO GAP

Sorry for the rumble folks

Perhaps the little brat has resorted to testing his devices under Chiang Mai to evade the Yanks? :o

wallet.jpg

/edited for clarity//

Edited by jackr

I felt this near Big C, Chiang Mai. there was like a little wave followed by a big jolt. A collegue mentioned to me that it was a local one, he proceded with phoning his relatives, whom I presume live fairly close by.

B

maybe thailand has a version of homer simpson working in a nuclear power station somewhere in the north of thailand,& chang beer got spilt onto the control panel,causing massive overheating,& the resulting explosion. :o "mai pen rai".

Edited by uptou

any reasons for these frequent quakes?? its getting scary. been 6 years and this few months have been the tops.

Would you prefer to have no quakes for 20 years and then a very big one to suddenly release all the stored energy at once? I think I prefer a small one every couple of months thankyouverymuch.

What's weird is that I felt it VERY clearly in the Sangkamphaeng Area, then I called home (Hang Dong area) and nobody felt a thing..

So that would be very localized.. But judging from the reports, not localized enough for an explosion I guess?

Edited by chanchao

any reasons for these frequent quakes?? its getting scary. been 6 years and this few months have been the tops.

Would you prefer to have no quakes for 20 years and then a very big one to suddenly release all the stored energy at once? I think I prefer a small one every couple of months thankyouverymuch.

What's weird is that I felt it VERY clearly in the Sangkamphaeng Area, then I called home (Hang Dong area) and nobody felt a thing..

So that would be very localized.. But judging from the reports, not localized enough for an explosion I guess?

Thaksins world come crashing down? :o

Im up at kad san area on a 5th floor apartment. Funny thing was took a nap at around 11am or so and slept through it. I do remember waking up a short while after the time it must have happened from a really weird nightmare. Prob a result of the judders. :D

Gawd if it had been serious id prob be a goner, having been blissfully unaware sleeping in my bed. :o