Training In Chiang Mai

Greenside

My girlfriend would like to train as a hairstylist or possibly a beautician starting later this year and we're looking for a suitable course which will give her a worthwhile diploma if she completes it successfully.

I know there are a number of places around the city but would be grateful to hear reports from anyone who's partner has had direct experience with any of them.

My girlfriend would like to train as a hairstylist or possibly a beautician starting later this year and we're looking for a suitable course which will give her a worthwhile diploma if she completes it successfully.

I know there are a number of places around the city but would be grateful to hear reports from anyone who's partner has had direct experience with any of them.

An old friend of mine did a hair styling course at the school in the soi, just before Sompet Market, that cuts the corner of Moonmuang Road and Ratchawithi Rd.

She was quite happy with the course and now has her own salon in Hang Dong.

post-24617-1182246143_thumb.jpg

fly to singapiore enroll in Vidal sasson hairdressing lesson cost about 100k baht .

just bettween us and all user who readi this post -

i enroll in it about 12 years ago .. paid in full ..

and on the first day i quit ..

cos i can't imagine myself as a hairdresser .. i went cos my mother wnated me to learn a skill

and PS. there don't do refund .. and there don't even allow name tranfer ..

lost a 100k so in short i had a 100k baht hair washing lesson :o

first lesson is how to wash hair :D

A Thai freind of mine in CM started at a salon in Airport plaza building expereince and has gone on to do quite well. I think maybe starting at the bottom and learning is sometimes better than courses, to much info in a short space of time can overload. I mean you only have to look at some TEFL courses in Thailand to see what cramming produces as an end product! Learn on the job I say, experience accounts for everything, not a piece of paper!

Goodluck :o

Edited by coldcrush

Drop by AMPAI at the corner of MoonMuang at Ratwithi. My wife's friend went there and has her own little shop now, complete with certificates on the wall. I think they have courses in hairstyist, beautician and spa mgmt. You can checkout (or buy) Ms. Ampai's book on spa mgmt at DK Books.

My wife has been considering taking courses there. Although job experience is best, I believe certification/license is required to open your own shop.

Ampai Institute of Hair Design and Beauty

129/1-2 Moonmuang Road, Chiang Mai

"Ampai Institute of Hair Design and Beauty

129/1-2 Moonmuang Road, Chiang Mai"

Howdy Greensides! I suppose you drop in b4 the world tour just to see the facilities and speak with the very friendly Ampai Sheehan. She is the only person/school certified thru BKK as both a health and college level trainer's course. Something like that. She is very respected and has brought herself up since starting out as a simple country girl in Lamphun. These days she owns both the school on the corner - opp Mike's Burgers, and inside the moat - and Siam Spa at Hillside 4. She has good materials and loves to see people empower themselves. She is also (in)famous for having her students work for her ala intern style (free labor) during their courses. This benefits her as well as helps the students get their hours towards certification. If you had to chose a place to do a little work for free it ain't half bad - she has all the equipment, and the steady stream of Farang coming in keeps them in practice with all manner of customers and hair situations. I know many ppl who have been happy with what they learned there.

The GF raised this a few days back. Her cousin knows someone who has a hair salon on Chanklan Road. Work there for free for six months while paying 1,000 Baht a month for the priviledge. (of supposedly learning how to cut and style hair)

6,000 baht for learning how to sweep the floor and wash someone's hair.

Thai people exploit Thai people. TIT

Where I come from one (or one did) takes on a four - five year apprenticeship and is paid to learn the job.

I have heard that the Ampan place is not bad though.

My wife has finished her cours at' RIRANRAT',when you say this name all thai people know it.

It is a very famous school for hairstylists and cloth designing(although this are very old machines to work on).Their school was at the 'Talat Luang'near the nightbazaar.It has recently moved to the other side of the market .Near the waterside .When your girlfriend finishes this school she will have a bit of status,like I said it is well known all over Thailand .probably a bit more expensive then other schools but worth it .After she could also try an advanced school with an experienced teacher at another location ,but she has to got the basics first .